OLTL Would Be Wise to Pick Up A Few ATWT Characters

• Members

I don't think she's saying they should call ABC racist, I think she's asking these groups to praise OLTL and put a spotlight on their diversity. This is a bit tacky, but after GLAAD degraded themselves hyping the Rianca wedding, which involved a woman being turned straight and the marriage ending on the wedding night, it's not like GLAAD has to lower themselves. And considering how Y&R has shunned black characters over the past few years, the NAACP really only has OLTL and I guess AMC.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As few shows that feature gay and minority characters, GLAAD and NAACP should be all over these soaps! Where was the praise in the black community for the years of diversity Passions gave us? The latino community? BET has three talk shows and have any of the black cast members of OLTL be on? Hell no. If soaps want to survive they need to promote themselves. Let blacks and latinos and gays know that OLTL is a destination for their stories. All three groups are HUGE soap fans, but they can't watch if they don't know.

If soaps want to survive they need to get PR teams. They need to get paparazzi stalking their younger actors. The name vets need to be getting stories in OK, People, etc. like the old days. Luke and Laura's wedding got what? 4 million viewers? People will tune in if they KNOW they should tune in. Cut a deal with ET and get regular coverage. It's all down to PR.

If you have to fire one or two vets on each soap to pay for good PR, do it. It's worth it in the long run.

• Members

It's ridiculous, but it's not the market they want. These are the people who watch soaps and would buy the products they promote. The way soaps have turned their backs on minorities is truly sick and racist. It's why I can't feel too bad when they get canceled. The did them to themselves one way or another. Don't blame ABC and don't blame CBS. I really can't see Frons protesting if black characters are added, but clearly these writers don't want to write for them. Same goes for latinos and especially Asians. Look at Dr. Lee on GH. Because of her race she was never given the chance at a major story or love interest.

It's really hilarious. Soaps are riding high in Asia, Latin markets and Africa. Here in American where all three groups are prominent? You'd be lucky to see a minority once a week on TV. And minority groups aren't asking for much. You can keep your 25-30 white cast members. We're just asking for one or two specs of color sprinkled around.

• Members

It truly is disgusting, it's like standing around in a store being ignored by salespeople, why should I have to beg you to take my money?? WTF, it makes absolutely no sense. They waste time and money on focus groups looking for people to tell them what they want to hear, then they have the numbers right there in black and white on the viewing habits of minority fans and (save for OLTL) there is this piss poor reflection of that on our television screens. You have a HUGE audience of hungry fans, and I can't decide if the people running soaps are racist or just stupid, I guess some combination of both. What troubles me, hurts me even, is the false notion that minorities would rather "escape" watching white people's sordid lives, which couldn't be further from the truth.

I also agree with Chris' views on PR, soap fans eat it up when they see their favorite actors being interviewed on "mainstream" shows. Problem is, you can't go luring a non-soap watching audience and risk them tuning into your crappy show thus losing them forever. Soaps need to tidy up before they go inviting over company, you know what I'm saying? Though I would be confident with the actors playing Kish for example going on a show and promoting their s/l, I bet that would attract some viewers who would also take interest in the other things going on in Llanview, I really do think OLTL is #1 when it comes to a show having a little something for everybody, not perfect by any means, but I feel that they at least TRY.

Mo'nique has a new late night talk show, fans would go crazy if she had Eric Braedan on for example. Non-fans couldn't help but notice fan reaction to his "cool factor" and perhaps they'd get the message that it's okay, even hip, to get into this story. Or better yet, if soaps don't clean up their act, have Victoria Rowell on there and let her blow the [!@#$%^&*] outta the water, a full-fledged expose on the soap biz! That'll show 'em.

• Members

I wonder if part of the problem, concerning minorities, is that these shows are on network television. They want to appeal to the majority, which, classically, has meant white viewers. Minorities were, to be frank, marginal. What the networks--and soaps--fail to realize is that minorities (particularly racial minorities) are quickly becoming the majority. I'm curious to know what you all think about this.

On topic: As an ATWT fan, I'm not interested in seeing any Oakdale residents in Llanview. A soap opera is a community. What's the point of having Carly Tenney on OLTL is you can't see her with Jack and Rosanna and Gwen and so on?

• Members

Univision broadcasts Telenovels and they are their highest rated shows drawing close to 7 million hispanic viewers and good draw in the key demos of 18-49. They've actually started their own production company with the intent of producing internet content also. They are hugely popular as I am sure most know with the hispanic community.

I am surprised BET hasn't developed an African American soap, That internet soap Buppies on the BET site is lightyears ahead of anything the "known" web soap developers are doing. Quality AA web soap woth decent acting, story, and quality production. Watch network TV. What shows on primetime are designed to appeal to any of these minority groups. I don't think soaps are alone.

• Members

Every soap has someone in charge of publicity. I know with OLTL it's difficult even for the soap press to get interviews. Nelson Branco said it's easier to get an interview with Madonna than Tika Sumpter. These people are there, they just suck. We need to get some hustlers off the street who can pitch these soap stars.

Each network has talk shows that always need guests. The View and Jimmy Kimmel usually have B-list actors with some A-list ones sprinkled in. A good PR person would get these soap stars sprinkled in every week or two. Same for CBS with The Early Show (which rarely gets big celebs), two late night talk shows and Price is Right to cross promote on. Then you have syndicated shows and they'll take just about anyone. Problem is, nobody is going to seek out soaps. If soaps want to live people have to try. You may lose anyway, but what harm is there in trying?

• Members

I am in total agreement about soaps in general not "pimping out" their own shows. Unpopular opinion but I feel that some of the soap stars try to downplay their roles on soaps, so they aren't rushing out promoting the show in hopes that they might get a "primetime gig" in the future. The thing is that more and more "society" isn't thinking that primetime shows (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) are all of that great either. Speaking for myself, I much rather see off beat shows on cable like Intervention, Hoarders, Snapped (guilty pleasure) or American Gangsters etc than most current primetime shows.

Basically, I think anyone working on a soap needs to market and promote any and everything they are doing. Because at this rate in five years, most of these actors aren't going to be on television. If anything they will doing commercials, web shows, foreign programming or killing themselves to star in some random movie on ABC Family, Lifetime or Hallmark.

Archived