OLTL Would Be Wise to Pick Up A Few ATWT Characters

• Members

The only soap I'd ever want to see crossover with OLTL is Edge of Night. Bring in some short-term people related to those old Monticello families or characters and let them solve a mystery with the Llanview PD. That would be fun.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It sounds like a nice idea but what we see here is the PG-13 reaction from OLTL viewers. Any OLTLer who was online around the time AW was cancelled and OLTL took in a few of their actors can tell you how strong the reaction was. Do it now and it will be even worse. Given that OLTL is probably next in line to go, OLTL fans will be spitting nails about how their last days were polluted by strangers from another show, and rightly so.

• Members

Yeah - no thanks. I already suffered through interminable years of Linda fuckin' Dano, as well as Robin Christopher who was not so much Skye as Lorna Devon, and JFP's Special Friend. That's why she clung to GH like a crab louse for like six years, forced into storylines.

The outrage about the AW exodus was huge, and that was a show that went out halfway reasonable when OLTL was not in any immediate danger. Forcing ruined characters from a ruined show onto OLTL would be asking for a bloodbath. The best place for a Lily, Lucinda or Holden (or whoever) to go would be to Y&R or something, if they had to go anywhere.

• Members

There will always be resentment, but it didn't help that Rae's return was so horribly written, and she really was just a bad knockoff of Felicia Gallant.

I think there are some interesting characters from AMC's or Loving's past who could always pop up on OLTL in short term roles, and the actors may still be based in New York (which would get OLTL more PR about being the last soap in New York), but I can't think of any right off the top of my head. I would have said someone like Ava, but then, fans would remember Lisa Peluso for that awful mob princess story with Ben and Viki.

• Members

It would be nice to see some of the people from Loving or The City pop up to do some brief bit, but I can't imagine a pressing reason for doing something like that right now, with the show in dire straits.

I will never stop being enraged about the endless, network-eating "What Animal, Mineral Or Vegetable Is Rae Cummings' Long-Lost Child" storyline. "I know neither age nor sex of my child; yes, that's how much of a desirable whore I was, despite all obvious surface appearances such as my skeletal face and horrifying eyes! Who is my child? Could it be you, fortysomething Max Holden who makes me look even older than I already am? Or you, balding Ben Davidson? You, twentysomething Kelly and Sophia? You, Eve Lambert, Alison Barrington, Hayley?" I can't even remember the candidates on AMC and GH but they were pretty embarrassing. Just terrible.

• Members

All My Children is the soap they're trying to save and with the most gaps to fill so I'd put them there. They can easily afford to lose a few characters. Add Carly & Jack, Katie and maybe Simon or Henry and I can see those characters fitting into Pine Valley. Henry and Katie can do the comedic stuff that is missing, CarJack can add a much needed jolt to the over-40 crowd (imagine Carly with Adam and Erica!) and Simon is SEXY, but can act. He'd eat Cameron Mathison alive.

• Members

That show is so mired in Frons and his agendas, someone would have to sneak through the backdoor. I think one of the reasons they seem to continually bring in duds, or don't write for those who are obviously star potential, is because the hierarchy tells them that Greenlee, Ryan, et al. must come first. Supposedly it was only Pratt that kept MCE from being shown the door.

I think they could do well with casting the guy who plays Casey, I think he's a good actor, and handsome in an offbeat way. I might suggest Alex Chaddo/Maddie as well. Their younger set is just awful.

• Members

Linda Dano, Kale Brown, Robin Christopher, John Bolger, is that all there were?

And let's remember some OLTLers are still smarting over having been saddled with the responsibility of keeping Michael Easton employed after Port Charles went down.

• Members

Oh, yes, I beg of you! Put ATWT characters on AMC! Do it, Frons! That's the way to go to save Pine Valley! By all means! In no way will that alienate fans further!

TC, there was also Tim Gibbs as the most unwanted Kevin ever, alienating not only fans but Laura Koffman and Gina Tognoni. And Kevin McClatchey as Nick the rapist. And Sonia Satra (from JFP's GL) as Barbara Graham. Mark Derwin was also her Mallet from GL. I'm sure I've forgotten some others.

• Members

Didn't Tim also work his way through his leading ladies at OLTL? Or some of them. I hated him as Kevin. I never liked him that much as Gary either. And Kale as Sam just zeroed in on all I loathed about Michael Hudson and none of what I had liked.

You forgot about John Bolger.

The funny part is AMC is now so depleted, if they put in the right ATWT characters, fans might not be hugely outraged. I mean some will, but most of those who will be left don't have epic fanbases to put up a fuss. If someone like Carly did go on AMC, then if the writing isn't terrible, she might end up becoming quite popular over time, especially since the female characters around her age group have been so butchered over the last few years.

• Members

No offense, Carl, because I love ya, and I'm gonna try to say this as politely as possible without losing the feeling, but helllllls no. AMC is so disjointed, I know, but the way to restore AMC is totally not to bring over ATWT characters. Just no. It's like putting Passions characters on Y&R. Not that I'm comparing the particular shows to PSNS and Y&R, but it would just feel too freaky. And besides, you'd have to introduce Carly to an entirely new audience because I don't think AMC fans and ATWT overlap all that much. You'd be better off creating a new character for Maura.

I'm all for ATWTers getting jobs elsewhere, but the idea of orphans being adopted by other soaps always felt desperate to me.

• Members

I'm not necessarily talking about what would restore AMC, I'm just saying if some insane thing did happen, and they brought Carly over. I realize it would probably be too expensive and very problematic. I was only saying if it did happen, I wouldn't be surprised if she became popular. This is the show with such badly damaged female characters that they're still trying to turn deaged, rewritten personality and backstory, Just the Ten of Us Liza into one of their big names.

Archived