Thanksgiving Pre-Emptions Disappreciation Thread

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the abc soaps air episodes that relate to something going on...

amanda/liza giving birth = the current storyline.

blair through the window = tea (or whoever) through the window.

franco = franco.

im sure they dont air classic episodes because they dont relate to anything going on. its just a treat for soap fans, and the networks dont give us treats. lol.

• Members

ABC could find episodes a few years back that still relate to a current storyline. I know it's not too old, but Y&R is at least going back to 2005 and a couple years back showed an episode from 1995. ABC is so lazy, they own their soaps it's easy. As much mob stuff as we've had on GH, you mean to tell me there is nothing similar the past five or ten years? OLTL is all about their history, so for any given story it should be easy. Hell, just show an episode from Mitch's last return.

• Members

Y&R went back to 1989 last year to show one of the older episodes with Marge in it, and I thought that worked perfectly.

Hell, I don't even look to the networks to do this type of thing. It should be SOAPNET doing it. We'll probably get a Bank of Mom and Dad marathon. I hate those stupid, lazy dumbasses who think that they NEED lattes with whipped cream every [!@#$%^&*] day.

• Members

You know, I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that SyFy's day long V marathon got almost three million viewers and not only did viewers stay, but the ratings went up with each episode! Keep in mind that's five two hour episodes back-to-back and people watched! Overall the network has a lot of newer shows, but they will give you those marathons and promote them and they are successful.

SOAPnet could easily do a similar thing. Give us a special day of Y&R to promote an upcoming storyline, same for all the other soaps. If you make it an event people will watch. It would be a nice solution to airing them daily.

• Members

The V mini-series is about 20 times better than almost anything on SyFy, or the V "reimagining", so I'm glad for the ratings. I wonder if SyFy is glad or not, as they are so desperate to market themselves as hip, which is probably one of the reasons they didn't publicize this marathon.

• Members

Old V AMS, the good classic one that tickles the nostalgia bone.

I know R., call me crazy, here I was looking forward to *today's* continuation of TG after watching yesterday, then I came out of my waking dream. Of course I can't speak for every household, but I think TPTB have always underestimated viewership on holidays. As for me and our house, we were usually watching the stories while we got dressed and ready to head out for TG and Christmas dinner. Even watching those Classic CBS shows became somewhat of a tradition when I was in high school (over a decade ago :o ) and what better medium than soap opera to endear longterm fans with warm cozy holiday episodes ON holidays...

• Members

CarlD, I think SyFy was shocked more than anything. It's obvious they only aired it because of the new V which is an easy way to promote it. It's not like they had anything else to air on the weekend but reruns of direct to cable movies. It seemed everyone was shocked at how well the original did. Reruns of 20 year old miniseries just don't get ratings like that. Especially over a 10 hour period, plus the 19 episodes for the series which aired during the week.

If you look at the soaps their classic episodes can pull in a million or more viewers. For cable that is a huge hit so that is definitely something worth looking into. I bet if SOAPnet was lazy and re-aired Sonnylicious or Jason Jason Jason they'd get good ratings for it.

Archived