HBO: Boardwalk Empire

Sylph

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really like the current New Yorker TV critic, Nancy Franklin. Like all new Yorker critics (Hell, critics in general) she can be a bit too critical or analytical sometimes I think, yet, I think she's also fair (she gave a Glee review that I thought was one of the few spot on ones--giving it equal heaps of praise and criticism). Anyway, I liked Boardwalk Empire more than her, but I think her review is pretty fair and I did agree with her final comment that for all the quality on screen, it never was as absorbing and engrossing as I hoped it would be (again, this is the pilot--I'm gonna give it at least a few more episodes). It also points out perhaps one of my probs with the show (and again let me stress overall I liked it LOL)--Frankling, like nearly every critic on the face of the Earth, was a Sopranos fan. I wasn't. I can appreciate it--it just did very little for me--horses for courses. And Boardwalk shared a LOT of echoes of that series, behind the scenes, in casting, in themes... (though, probably because it takes placein a time and setting I have a lot of love for, I actually prefer it--judging by the pilot)

The link is HERE

Archived