Y&R: Mary Jane look-alike NOT working for me

• Members

I realize it must be hard for there to be differentiation (is that even a word?) when one actor or actress has a dual role but COME ON. The Dr. speaks exactly the same as Mary Jane/Patty, clearly has the same chest and body shape as Mary Jane/Patty, as is clearly evidenced by her low cut and form-fitting attire. It's like the folks at Y&R said, "they are the same actress, so why should we even BOTHER to try to show differences?" LAZY. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

And one other thing, the dialogue prior to and during Phyllis and Nick's trip to the AC was just stupid.

"Oh look, Jack is at the bar alone. That's weird." Or something like that.

WTF?

I just HATE what is being done to my Y&R. It's like the GL trainwreck all over again.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From an acting standpoint, haiduk is really selling it. However, Dr. Emily Peterson bears too much of a resemblance to Mary Jane Benson (As she first appeared... not as Blonde Patty) Glasses, brown tinted contacts, and a bigger hairstyle full of soft, fluffy curls would have gone a long way to make Emily Peterson more believeable from a physical standpoint.

• Members

Just another obvious display that this show is really without any long term vision and is flying by the seat of its pants. If a dual role had been considered before Haiduk first came on as Mary Jane, there would have been more done to differentiate the looks of the two.

• Members

My beef is not that Haiduk isn't a very capable actress. My beef is that she deserved better, and part of that better would have been to show some regret over Summer and changed the Colleen story to not damage the character further. If the writing was better, there would have been no need to bring on a Mary Jane clone to keep a talented actress. Bill Bell knew how to do this and was very successful with Sheila, Micheal and Phyllis for that reason.

• Members

My worry is that they will make her psycho.

I also didn't care for how they had to almost immediately use her to once again push the canard that Jack and Victor are equally responsible for Patty's madness.

I really wish they would not have her get into a story with Jack.

• Members

What is disturbing is that -- if she believes her press -- then she's not seeing anything in need of repair.

I still continue to believe this dialogue between Kay and Jack on Friday was coded, as I suggested, LOL. In other words, I can't imagine MAB doesn't see the problems, but just can't admit it. I believe that Sony is somehow in this mess, either via Hogan, or with heavy notes from Kent/Mosko. Something is awry.

• Members

I actually agree with you on this however I have a feeling as well that MAB is probably the one that caused this to become a too-many-cooks process. And someone decided they were going to rein her in a bit and do it the hard way. I think she forgot herself. It is probably the reason why certain actors were defending her. I think she got what she wanted and that was for CBS to stay out of "her" show but apparently I guess they are/were not too thrilled about certain things hence the pickle we find our show in and that's why they fired the first shot and we got the ramifications of it. It appears that there are different sets of agenda going on here and because of that it has really affected what we are seeing onscreen.

I hope they fix it soon because I am getting tired of the bickering and poor product. If they were bickering and the show still had it's quality and substance I wouldn't mind it so much.

Archived