AMC Is Thorsten Kaye in violation of WGA rules?

• Members

[ETA: Put in spoiler thread because I'm not sure if Zendall-saying-vows to one another is common knowledge].

This is not rabble rousing. Below is an Alicia Minshew quote from the latest SOD. To me, it sounds like what got Ed Scott fired at DOOL. Can someone help me understand why TK's alleged behavior is no more or less actionable than Scott's (or others on the DOOL set at the time)?

Help me, seriously, those of you who are knowledgeable about the WGA and soap writing, why this is okay--but the whole DOOL thing was not!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know if I can see TK back at OLTL.

1). He costs a lot of money, I'm sure. This is the network's chance, since he vountarily wants to leave AMC, to save some money rather than burden another (financially struggling) show with an expensive actor.

2). He and Frank Valentini would not get along. He's worked for Julie Carruthers for nearly ten years. She knows how to deal with him, and work with him because it seems like he's rather fussy, LOL. I think FV is too much of an egomaniac to deal with Thorsten's complaints, and would not be as nearly as accomodating.

3). There's no much of a demand to see Patrick back on OLTL. People now associate him with Zach Slater -- the TK fans want Zach Slater, not so much that character that was kind of a dud in the first place.

4). I think Frons knows that OLTL isn't long for the world. Why put TK on a show that isn't viable in the long term anyway?

Whatever. We'll see.

• Members

ABC may be waiting to see if TK changes his mind in a few months about going to Los Angeles. I agree that as things stand OLTL does not have the buget to sign him. However, the firing of Brotherton may be only the start of culling the cast to make room for Patrick to return.

• Members

Oh, I think Zach is far more irritating. As a kid I used to be really into superheroes - actually, I still love them... and they say superheroes are more interesting for their limitations than their abilities. Well, there's nothing Zach can't do (break his wife out of prison and have her "replaced?" Puh-leez!) - and that aspect of his character, combined with his being drunk with that power while being painted as the show's star / hero, is truly repulsive.

But as for TK migrating to the next hour... I think OLTL, as with all of the soaps, knows there's a time clock ticking away... and I believe the show is positioning to things, long-range, for the possibility. That means happy endings (no, not THOSE kind!) for most of the characters. If part of the grand scheme is putting Marty back with a resurrected Patrick, even though I wasn't really a huge fan of their story, I still say so be it - and I would be interested in seeing it play out.

I'm enjoying the show too much to focus on the negative. I know cancellation is inevitable... for ALL the shows (hey, Eric - there is your moot point! :P ). To me, watching OLTL is such a pleasure for my partner and I. It's great and if it goes out on this note, it will have gone out staying true itself and its characters, doing so with class - and certainly will go out so much better than the unrecognizable AMC & GH will be when their D-days hit.

Helpful Suggestion of the Day Award goes to you, BellCurve!

Hey... I think we may have just discovered the reason OLTL isn't going to HD! :lol:

• Members

Gee nice to know a thread about someone possibly violating WGA rules, turns into an actor bash thread <_< Why am I even surprised given that's about all that happens anymore on this board. MarkH asked an honest question and got a bunch nonsense. Sorry that your thread got highjacked

To give some kind of answer to the question: I doubt it, he(and Alicia) wrote vows for Zach and Kendall back in 2006 and he wrote the reveal of the 5MS between Kendall & Aidan and no one had any problems with it, if they did, they didn't say anything.

• Members

Oh, I disagree. There's also plenty of show bashing, and lots of free discussion - the kind that might evolve, organically and understandably, from one aspect of a subject to another. It's what our minds do sometimes; actually, it's how we're able to think about more than just one thing. :huh:

Oh, and there's opinion bashing, too... By the way, does the natural straying of a topic really amount to "highjacking?"

Archived