OLTL not going to HD next year

• Members

Dear God! FREEmantle has a stake in an American soap opera?! UGH! They can barely respect or market the Goodson/Todman lot without pissing and defacating on everything that made their shows successful.

Even the fact that they just want to sell the show in international syndication disgusts me. YUCK!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Frons is in charge. Branco isn't. I don't care what Branco blathers about, Frons is the one who makes the decisions, and as always, they seem to have little to do with logic.

Anyone who does or does not base their OLTL opinion on Branco is probably not that interested in the show anyway.

• Members

Branco isn't the only person I've heard the scoop on Frons's relationships with Pratt and Guza from. News is news and the ulterior motive is very well-defined. It's a pretty disgusting bit of favoritism/nepotism.

While they may be close ratings-wise, the difference between AMC and OLTL is night and day. AMC is weak, doddering, on the verge of death. OLTL is strong, rich, and fun despite some problems. You can smell death on a soap when a certain time comes; I can smell it on AMC and ATWT, not OLTL, not by a longshot. That's why I've always been hesitant to believe this show will go off the air as soon as people want to think. I still don't know what to think. All I know is the idea that OLTL could be cancelled as soon as some project, while AMC continues to croak forward, is utterly unacceptable to me. I think if that does happen, it'll be as Jamey Giddens predicts, an AW/SuBe situation - one goes only to buy the other show exactly five months. Then they'll have lost two soaps for nothing.

I prefer to believe OLTL will end up sticking it out til at least 2011. That I can live with. The hint of anything else makes me sick and angry in a way that I have not begun to deal with, and don't want to.

Archived