OLTL not going to HD next year

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The sad part is I actually liked Ryan in that first year or year and a half.

I think my annoyance started when he treated Gillian so badly after she slept with David to get his bail money, but overall, I never had the raging hate for Ryan that I developed when CM returned in 2003.

I think I just hated Mateo so much that I didn't have time to hate Ryan.

• Members

I thought the Phantom of the Erica storyline was McTavish. Was it Nixon :o It was that kinda old school gothic soap that she doesn't do all that well but every few years seems to want to try (and I actually kinda liked it for that--and Iliekd thechemistry like you say). WHat was the Dhillons' exit?

I wondered why Belinda was written out too--I don't even remember Tina.

• Members

The mask was Nixon. It was supposed to take Erica back to her roots, or remind us of how important her beauty was to her, or whatever.

The Dillons' exit involved Janet's old cellmate arriving to blackmail her. Janet went crazy again and she beat the woman to death with a giant candy cane. The woman wasn't actually dead, but then she did die. Trevor took the fall for Janet and fled town. Janet started seeing Mirror Janet again, but then they abruptly ended the story by having Arlene (one of my all time favorites) wear a wire to bust the guy who had killed the woman. Then we got a cheap scene which was, "Hey everybody, Trevor doesn't want to come back to Pine Valley, so let's move where he is now. Timmy's there too!" That was it. Just a shocking, pathetic, insulting storyline all around. Of course even better things were to come for Janet and Trevor... :(

Tina was some annoying twit who worked at SOS. She wanted Mateo but then began dating Adrian. They had the wonderful Lynne Thigpen return as Grace Keefer to prop her. Matthew St. Patrick around this time was smart and got the heck off the show, and Tina, like Becca and a number of other characters around this time, vanished without a trace.

I never knew why Belinda had to go. I think AMC was just phasing out their black characters, as all the ABC soaps were doing at that time.

• Members

I could be wrong, but the candy cane stuff was, I believe, when Nixon was headwriter. The last story McTavish wrote for the Dillons was Harold's death (I'm one of the few who liked that story). I remember at the time rolling my eyes because of all the hype that now the show wouldn't be crazy because McTavish was gone, and then came along this completely ridiculous storyline that wrecked Janet's character and sent the Dillons packing.

• Members

I think that was several months after McTavish. Timmy was written out when McTavish was still there, or right after she left, then I think they just had no storyline for a while, then suddenly we hear that James Kiberd was asked to take a pay cut and refused, and he was leaving.

The Harold story, Stuart/Marian, and Opal becoming independent and finding her son Adrian were the only three stories I really liked in McTavish's second time. I actually liked the last two stories a lot more than almost anything on AMC in the late 90s, or in this decade. I'm sorry that McTavish screwed up so badly on so much else.

• Members

I liked Esther too, that was a very sweet story (I wish they hadn't brought her back as a crazy, and she didn't even really have an exit the last time either). I do think he had more story with Marian. I loved that relationship, they were dynamite from the word go and could play anything. The show really wasted that couple.

I wouldn't worry about going off topic...there's really not much else to say on that matter. If OLTL is canceled I will be upset but I won't exactly be shocked, and reminiscing the way we have has told me that I'm not going to blame AMC or be angry with AMC. I have a lot of fond memories of AMC and even though THAT AMC is long gone, likely never to return, I do appreciate what they gave me.

• Members

When Stuart was presumed dead after Arlene accidentally ran him over, Esther found him somewhere and they worked at a diner, I believe. She convinced him they were married. I don't remember what happened to her but Stuart ended up in Pine Valley and Arlene locked him in the attic and Marian found him.

At the time I thought they were setting up some of the characters at the diner to move to Pine Valley, but it never happened. Too bad...AMC could have had their very own Moelle and Gigi <_<

Archived