Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I like it but, how would Rick recognize Leslie? He was a baby when she died. 

On the other hand, Alan's death makes me choke up just thinking about it.  I guess I am not in the majority but I thought the final week was really good, not just given the circumstances.  The stuff with Lilian was great and I adored Ed and Holly impulsive running off together.

BTW,- years later - which finale week couple would most likely still be together: Rick & Mindy, Buzz & Lilian, or Ed & Holly?  My bet is Ed & Holly never made it past Europe.

Also didn't Holly have a royal title at one point after she came back from Switzerland?

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes, Clarke had previously appeared on TGL as Tim Ryan in the mid-1970s. When we saw him on the show again after a long break, my first thought was, "Now, what's Tim doing sitting there in Alan's chair?" LOL.

Generally, I do not like actors being cast as different characters on the same show. TGL toyed with the idea of having Michael Zaslow play Alan Spaulding (!!!) at one point, which would have been absurd. He was iconic as Roger Thorpe, and the only Roger viewers wanted to see, IMHO.

I'll never adapt to Chris Kositchek playing Roman Brady on DAYS. Yikes.

Both those scenarios would have been great.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

Touche, you've found the weakness in my argument about facial recognition in the afterlife - lol.

That picture is fantastic, the costumes for Jackie and Rita look so contemporary and chic.

That was before my time, so please excuse my ignorance, but who is in the light blue dress next to Ed?

• Members

Rita's hair and dress look a bit drab for her but Jackie does look very chic, and she has such life in that photo. I really would love to see those early Jackie scenes, as she could have easily been a character many viewers found irritating, but Cindy Pickett seems to have given her so many layers. Her acting in the 1979 episodes is always so brilliant. 

• Members

Back row, left to right: Tim Werner (adopted by Joe and Sara Werner), Dr. Justin Marler (Phillip's biological father), Dr. Steve Jackson (Rick's maternal grandfather), Evie Stapleton and her sister Rita Stapleton (Ed's ex-wife), Roger Thorpe, Barbara Norris (Holly's mother), Adam Thorpe (Roger's dad).

Front row, left to right: Dr. Sara McIntyre (in blue), Dr. Ed Bauer, Frederick/Rick Bauer, Bert Bauer, Mike Bauer, Jackie Marler (in dark green, sitting behind Holly), Holly Norris, Christina/Blake Bauer.

I hope this helps.

• Members

How funny is little Fredrick upset on the sofa looking at Crissy?  I wonder if he's thinking, "someday she's going to implicate me as the father of one of her twins!"

Also, wow, Dr Sara is much prettier than I imagined when reading about her!  She was always marrying some loser on the rebound while on vacation, so I guess I thought she was frumpier.  Although, given soap casting, that could have been considered frumpy at the time...

• Members

None of them were ever frumpy. Even the older women, such as Bert and Barbara, were presented as classy and "with it."

Yes. Though Roger's wife Peggy and Mike's daughter Hope should be included, unless they were temporarily off screen at this time.

As I stated in previous posts the Dobsons kept things fairly basic. The show was still in the half-hour format in 1976. In 1977 the cast expanded when they went to an hour. The Spauldings were added, including Alan's assistant Diane Ballard. Ben McFaren (Steve Yates) was added. Lucille Wexler and her daughter Amanda would be added. Bill Bauer would resurface, which paved the way for his daughter Hilary to be added. Etc.

Edited by JarrodMFiresofLove

• Members

Justin and Jackie Marler arrived in 1976; Alan, Phillip and Elizabeth Spaulding showed up in 1977.

Sara was beautiful. I always found her to be regal looking. She was quite popular during her day, although towards the end of her run, she had been backburnered and used mainly as a talk-to.

Soaps represented viewers' fantasies, and nobody wanted to see frumpy, unkempt people in curlers and flip-flops, LOL. On ATWT, Nancy Hughes was known to do housework while wearing black velvet and pearls. It was amusing.

Yes, Diane Ballard arrived in 1977, when the Spauldings did. As the show geared up to expand to 60-minute episodes, many new people arrived. I was hoping they would bring Meta Bauer back to town at that time, the way they did when the show expanded from 15-minutes to half an hour. Ed had a telephone call regarding her, and when a soap starts mentioning departed characters out of the blue, it usually means they will pop back up shortly.  Alas, no Meta, but we did get some great new additions to the cast anyway.