Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Ahh, that all-time fan-favorite, Lacey Bauer, LOL. 

And yes, in reference to Slick Jone's comment, Frank D. said that he was originally considered to be cast as Todd Bauer, but Pamela Long did not want to expand the Bauer family so she brought him on as Frank Cooper instead. Dumping more Coopers on the audience did not endear the show to longtime fans who were annoyed at losing the show's signature family, but to be fair, I doubt adding a few "fake" Bauers, retconned into existence, would have satisfied us either. I never cared for Jack, Lainie, or Lacey Bauer in the least.

It's been several decades, but I believe it was in Soap Opera Digest.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

Thanksgiving 1985. Lujack on his deathbead, a Lewis Thanksgiving at the jailhouse, and Reva, Hawk and Roxy away on their own jaunt to fill your usual Reva quotient of these years. At least we got to see a Bauer Thanksgiving too...although it's sobering to realize the longest-serving Bauer actor at this point was Ellen Dolan, who would be out the door by spring. 

Kristi Ferrell was a poor actress but I always had a soft spot for Roxy...even if I still can't remember if it's spelled Roxy or Roxie.

• Members

@DRW50, most articles and synopsis I've seen have it spelled as Roxie. 

Speaking of Roxie, that's one of the many characters I never got why they didn't bring back. Especially, around the time Cassie came on the scene. It would've been interesting to see Roxie, Reva, Rusty, and Cassie all together for once. But then again, let me stop. The Reva/Cassie overkill was a lot from 95 to the end of the show. 

• Members

I think one time Kim Zimmer may have been asked and said Kristi lived on a ranch now (if I'm making this up someone please let me know!) and was no longer acting. Still I could swear there were rumors in the mid-90s about a return. I guess Cassie took her place. Still, even one or two episodes for a holiday would have been nice. It was just wrong she wasn't there after Sarah died. 

• Members

Yes. Roxie not being there during Sarah's passing was jarring. 

If Kristi did retire, they still could've recast with a strong actress. Hell, they recast 90% of all the other roles on the show. Might as well had recast that one too. It would've been interesting to see how Roxie was doing and if she and Johnny were still going strong. 

But thinking of Sarah's funeral, I've always felt the same way about the Reardons not being shown during Maureen's funeral. It was so odd for them to mention that the Reardons decided to go to the boarding house instead of showing them. I would've loved to have seen some powerhouse scenes with them being divided on the issue of Ed causing Maureen's death. While GL was firing on all cylinders with that story, it could've been so much better to have Jim, Tony, Chelsea, and Nola chewing Ed out while Bea tries to calm matters. 

Edited by Nothin'ButAttitude

• Members

It's a shame it took two and a half years for that scenario, by which point it had no real impact. I guess as the Reardons had mostly been gone for a long time in soap terms, it was a way to save money to only mention them, but I do wonder if having some back, even just Bea, might have made her goodbye feel like it was more about her instead of JFP clearly not caring about the character, which was another factor in viewers quitting the show.

• Members

I don't think that I can even accept the save money excuse as it wasn't like GL was suffering that much budget wise. Yeah, JFP was making room for Justin Deas, but she could've at least used that money (before debuting him) to woo back some of the Reardons for a week or 2 stint. 

I agree that by the time Nola came back in '95, it was moot to play the beat. I got that she was still mad at Ed (and should've been), but they should've played it from the start. All I needed was a few scenes of Tony, Chelsea, Nola, and Jim chewing into Ed, Bea bonding with Michelle, and the Reardons saying goodbye to Maureen (and the audience) as they'd become quite scarce (minus Bridget) until Matt and Nola would return. 

Killing off Maureen, a tentpole character, and at least not giving her a proper sendoff is sh-tty. But that's Jill. She gave Alan a crappy sendoff. I wasn't impressed with Katherine's sendoff (though it was b/c JC had passed for real) either. 

• Members

She was probably holding out for A Martinez too...

I finally finished the '85 Thanksgiving episode. Just as it seemed to be ending on an optimistic note (as soap Thanksgivings should), Kyle flounced out the door.

Sigh...what an odd way to end a holiday show. 

• Members

By the time I really started watching it was just Reva, Sarah and Hawk so I didn't see the full group until Youtube. The Dingles have had a chokehold on Emmerdale for 20 years though -  I think the Coopers may be closer to them. 

Edited by DRW50