Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

He disliked the storyline and thought it had to end.

It seems like contemporary opinion was not nearly as kind to Marland's GL as it was to his GH or ATWT, from fan letters and things at that time. I can sort of see why, although some of it's good.

• Members

Also, rumor has it that Jane was not beloved by the cast....JVD did not want to work with her anymore, and the rest of them thought she was just a biotch..

Marland wanted her to go through therapy...can you imagine, it would be like the Iva Snyder therapy sessions...AGGGHHHH.

• Members

I recall Jane signed a 1 year contract and obviously Marland was sure she would continue but Potter used it as a way to dump her.Maybe budget had something to do with it as P&G were starting their cutbacks and ridding themselves of pricey vets. Jane probably had a raise in pay if she signed to a second year.

• Members

After Jane Elliot's dismissal, it was reported that Allen Potter felt the ratings during the initial part of the Carrie Todd story did not justify the saga continuing. This angered Douglas Marland, who had had additional plans for the character. While ratings do matter, I am a firm believer in allowing writers like Marland the freedom to write as they see fit. In any case, during the 1981/82 season, in which Elliot appeared, TGL had a rating of 8.0. This was quite healthy, considering the show was pitted against GH, which was a cultural phenomenon and the center of so much hype and media attention at that time.

After Marland left the show, I had high hopes for Springfield when the great Pat Falken Smith took over the writing reigns. Upon her abrupt dismissal, however, the bottom simply fell out and the show went into free fall. The annihilation of the Bauer family, the gutting of numerous vets, and the noticeable changes in the series' style and tone were harmful to TGL, and made all the worse by a revolving door of writers, and by unfamiliar faces parading across the screen. By the 1989/90 season, TGL's ratings had plunged to a precarious 5.4.

The 1980s were not the best of times for TGL. As a decades-long viewer, I would have eagerly accepted  more Carrie Todd over a screaming Reva any day.

Edited by vetsoapfan