GL Fan Fave Joins ATWT

• Members

I never thought that Pelphrey would make it in prime time or the movies. Has he even gotten any major work since he left? Only on a soap could his overwrought attempt at acting be admired and praised. He is not particularly talented so he indulged himself in the worse acting habits and no one gave him any guidance.

Anne Heche is one of my favorite soap actresses. I always knew that she would make it outside of the soaps. She would yell and wail a lot, but she is very talented. She understood the importance of pulling back into the quietness and stillness in those pivotal scenes.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I always suspected he would come back to soaps, if soaps still existed by the time he was ready to come back. How many soap actors really make it in prime time these days? At the same time the days of people choosing to be soap actors for life seems to be over as well. It's not the large stable income it was 20 years ago. It's too bad because there is a lot to be said for a stable cast, but no one in their right mind is going to stay on a sinking ship if they think they can get something better.

• Members

It always seems to be the ones that are really bad on soaps that get work on primetime. I mean, Trevor Donovan might be an extreme case, but he's a regular on this coming season of 90210, isn't he? And then there's Justin Bruening, Molly Stanton (two flop sitcoms behind her, but at least it's work), I thought Alex Chando had got some primetime gig but evidently not if she's on her way back to ATWT...I'm sure there are more who I've thought THEM? SERIOUSLY? when I heard they got primetime work, but my mind's a blank just now...

• Members

Just to clarify, when I say that I thought there was a good chance he'd never do soaps again, I wasn't implying that a stellar primetime/film career would be the reason. I just get the impression that he'd rather do good theatre and carpentry work while still trying his hand at a film career rather than being swallowed whole by the soap opera machine. I believe that he's very thankful for his success and fans, yet he'd be significantly disappointed if he never had a similar career in film. And I don't blame him, there are far worse actors out there with huge salaries and careers, and as mentioned, some of them are fellow soap alums.

I think TP is a very good actor, even better when he first started on the show. With time, he seemed to fall into the trap of his own praise, like he was aware of the things people liked about his performances and he began to act into them, making them bigger (too big, he needed a good director to reel him in). His bag of acting tricks was getting a workout, making *interesting* choices just for the sake of making interestng choices, the quirkier, the tickier the better. And imho having to work against an acting bulldozer like KZ who treats a scene like a competition instead of a partnership did him NO favors whatsoever.

• Members

Yeah, but many of those people are either far more conventionally attractive or they found their niche. IMO, TP is a better actor than Justin Hartly (for example), but Justin just has the right look. As for finding his niche, I like TP well enough, but does he really stand out? Not to me, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he'll get that perfect break out part and make his way in Hollywood, but that would surprise me.

In another time, TP probably could have had a damn good career in soaps. I agree he over acts at times, but the right director could have reigned him in. But the day of any youngster having a good long career in soaps is over, so I hope he either gets lucky and finds the right agent or that he has some kind of backup plan. Because even if ATWT manages to get a 1 year reprieve, it's bound to be the last one. We already know they are doing worse then the numbers GL was told they needed to stay alive.

• Members

Oh wow. Just wow. What actors do you actually like on daytime? :o Deas is probably my favorite; he has the ability to convey so much emotion with just his eyes. He is someone I think of as a true actor's actor.

The thing about all of Pelphrey's scenery-chewing - he was just working with the material, what they gave him. I was a fan of Jonathan on downtime, when the character was full of playful asides and genuine warmth. Actually, that's the only thing about late GL that I've enjoyed is the downtime. Soaps like GH are just all about drama and grimacing and death and seriousness ALL THE TIME, and they make me want to slit my wrists. GL, especially in '05-06, had breathers and moments of light. GH is almost entirely inhuman to me. Not that GL hasn't been unnecessarily dark... I stopped watching in '07 and didn't start watching it again until Grant Aleksander returned, because it was so dark and torturous.

• Members

Yes, some mediocre soap actors who have made it in prime time because of their good looks like Shemar Moore, Eva La Rue, and Eva Longoria, but there have been many talented soap actors who got prime time work e.g. Sarah Michelle Gellar, Nathan Fillion, Jessica Tuck, Anne Heche, Annie Wersching, and William Fitchner. William Fitchner was one of my all time favorites when he played Josh on ATWT. He was not conventionally handsome, but he was immensely talented. He had an intense quietness that other soap actors did not have. I was convinced that he would make it primetime and/or movies. It took years for him to get the recognition that he is getting now.

• Members

First of all...Oh. My. God! I guess we'll see whether this is a good move for ATWT or not.

I think they'll need to get rid of some characters as the cast is big enough as it is. I also thought Tom Pelphrey did a lot of overacting, but I don't think he's any more of a scene chewer than say Trent Dawson, Roger Howarth, Julie Pinson, Liz Hubbard, and Maura West. All these actors have had their subtle moments as has Tom. Those who claim otherwise just weren't watching closely enough.

• Members

I am excited for Tom to join ATWT and looking forward to his debut, considering I am a huge fan of him on GL. I wonder if his new role would be connected to Molly (Lesli Kay) since the popular character will be returning? Did Molly & Jake McKinnon have a kid when they were on the show?

• Members

Jake had twins (Bridget and Michelle) with his wife Vicky on Another World. Molly was helping raise the girls at the time Jake was killed. Vicky's sister Marley (played by Ellen Wheeler) and mother Donna fought for and won custody of the twins and took them back to Bay City.

Archived