ALL:Domestic Abuse Storylines

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is a topic that US soaps don't want to touch.Too reality based I guess.

Also,when they were attempted,the feedback from viewers was not positive,

AMC did a wife beating story with Curt and Leora Sanders in the early 80's.They were involved with Ruth and Joe Martin.I think Leora developed feelings for Joe or vice versa.Anyway,they were written out.

Days had Fred Barton abusing his wife Jean,I think they were neighbours of Mickey and Maggie Horton.Again,the characters and story didn't last long.

On Y&R,April(Heather's mom)was revealed as being abused by her husband Robert Lynch,She killed him in self defense ane went to trial.

Those are the main ones I can think of right now.When they were attempted,it was always characters brought on for that purpose,I wonder if viewers woild have responded better had a main chracter been involved?

• Members

Years ago GH had Bobbie and DL Brock. Only a few years ago was that girl who Bianca liked and Ryan's brother on AMC. Also Hayley and Will Cortlandt I think had an abuse angle on AMC. The problem with this topic is it isn't really fun for the viewer, so unless it is being used as a motive for murder I can't think of one good reason why a show would tackle such a topic.

• Members

I think the Leora Sanders story was one of the most critically acclaimed, and also led to the affair between Joe and Leora.

On OLTL, there was a mini-story in 1991 where Viki and Megan had to help rescue a woman from her abusive husband.

There was a long story on Coronation Street where Charlie Stubbs mentally abused his girlfriend, Shelley Unwin. He made her feel worthless and made her turn against her mother and all of her friends. She eventually became so agoraphobic that she did not even leave her bedroom. Since he never touched her, no one suspected what he was doing. Finally, she started seeing a counselor, and on her wedding day, she dumped Charlie at the altar.

There was the Bradley Raines story on GL, although I don't remember if he ever touched Lillian.

• Members

The Jake/Nancy story was very good.

Hollyoaks has had a number of these stories over the years. A few months after the Jake/Nancy story ended, Ste started beating his girlfriend Amy, burning her, cutting off her hair (a beautifully acted scene from both of them). She eventually left after he began beating her while she was pregnant. And now she's disappeared and he's raising the baby with some type of weird people who are baby sellers or thieves or something.

They also had a story I have never seen, only heard about, where Mandy got very angry and started beating her husband Tony. He finally hit her back and was arrested, which led to everyone finding out what she'd done.

• Members

Not that I would like seeing Domestic Abuse storylines, because I think it is horrible, but some of these posts seem interesting and it's too bad I don't watch any of these shows other then The Young and the Restless.

The closest to seeing stuff like Domestic Abuse is usually on Law and Order, or CSI, that I have seen, which I don't usually watch except occasionally or maybe the late Farrah Fawcett in the movie 'The Burning Bed'. I know that Movie won Awards.

I thought it was well written and great Acting as well.

I think not sure if somebody could tell me that was based on a real life story if I am correct? (The Burning Bed)

• Members

EastEnders did an EPIC domestic abuse story with Little Mo and Trevor that culminated in a fire killing Trevor. Little Mo was even arrested and put in jail after fighting back against Trevor. That story was hard to watch, but amazing.

• Members

Wasn't Laurel (Lily's mother) on AMC supposed to have been abused by her husband, Denny? I remember she killed him in self-defense and Jackson helped her hide the body. And I believe Carter Jones (who kidnapped Natalie when she went blind) was also physically abusive.

• Members

I thought Kim Zimmer played an abused wife on Santa Barbara.

Jill Larson's Opal (AMC) was abused by her husband - Ray Gardner (Tad and Jenny's father). It's how she met Frank Dawson.

If you add children, ATWT's Angel Lang was abused by her father, who, as it turned out, was also sexually abusing her and even impregnated her. He let Caleb Snyder believe he was the father - forced an abortion on his daughter and faulted Caleb for the resulting sterility.

ATWT's Antonio Reyes was abusive to his wife, Meg Snyder.

Carl, I believe Bradley was abusive and controlling with Lillian. She just had no idea that he was sexually abusive with Beth. Oddly enough, her sister (Lila? Calla? I can't remember her name right now) was married to a controlling man who lied to her, cheated, and gave her an STD.

Another World's Reginald Love was abusive and controlling with his children and with his wife. (Most of it alluded to).

Another World later retconned the Frame family history and Jason Frame (Chris Robinson, Ex- Rick Webber (GH), Ex- Jack Hamilton (BnB)) prostituted his young sister, Charlene. In essence, he took money to allow his friends to rape her - leading to her DID storyline.

Which of course brings OLTL, Victor Lord sexually assualting Victoria, causing her DID as well.

GH, didn't Amy Vining (Laura's sister) have a roommate (Simone) who was battered by her handsome sports star husband/boyfriend?

Archived