ALL:Domestic Abuse Storylines

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember that story. The actor who played Trevor had a hard time getting work afterwards.

EE, back in their glory years, also had a story about a social worker named Carmel, who got married to a man who seemed perfect but then began beating her. Finally her little brother stabbed him when he was about to start in on Carmel again, and they broke up.

• Members

Thank you Quartermainefan! I realized, later, that Simone was Tom's wife, but for the life of me I couldn't remember Amy's roommate.

DC11786, I rmemeber Zimmer as Charlene's friend/cousin, Mavis (one of the 'rowdy girls') from Designing Women, I thought she was an abused wife on Santa Barbara as well. I may have her SB character confused with someone else's. I didn't watch much SB (other than to try to catch Zimmer) and thought she was involved with an abusive police officer? Security Guard? Aging sucks.

• Members

I wish one my the soaps I want would write in such a storyline. Afterall, they can do rape, murder, assult etc. Why not domestic abuse. Of course it could be a character that is new who is the abusive one and not a loved character suddenly turning evil.

B&B did Stephanie´s father beating her up her entire childhood and it was an amazing story with great actors. Betty White and Susan Flannery together was pure delight. I loved that storyline. But her father never beat up her mother or younger sister. Stephanie was singled out.

• Members

Indeed it was! To make matters worse, poor James Rebhorn played BOTH Bradley Raines (GL - the stepfather who assaulted Beth) and Henry Lange. It was a double ICK! The most haunting part of the storyline was Angel's confession that her botched abortion was to get rid of her father's child, not Caleb's and then that she became suicidal.

It's suicide that's not often dealt with as a full treatement in daytime. I'm both happy that Angel didn't commit suicide, and left wondering what the impact would have been on ATWT's characters and fans to the storyline play out that way.

Amello? AMEN!!!!!!! Sonny is the ultimately emotionally abusive CAD!

• Members

It was superlative. I remember one episode, early on, where we had just seen glimpses of Trevor's bullying and intimidation. It wasn't physical so much as mental. He slithered threateningly towards her and then, when she didin't give him a straight answer about something, he suddenly plowed a nearby hot iron onto her hand. Totally jolting experience for the viewer.

The best thing about the SL, though, was seeing "Little" Mo move from not being so little any more but standing up for herself. At one point he had her cornered in her bedroom and threatened to set the house on fire. Mo's monologue was absolutely amazing. She totally exposed Trevor's bullying weakness when she spat at him "You don't scare me anymore. Because you don't control me... up here" (pointing to her head). She essentially broke him in that scene. It was a very empowering and satisfying moment.

After seeing that, I don't know if I would really want to see Daytime over here attempt a SL like this. It was a carefully crafted story arc that was probably two years from start to finish. Claire Labine or Agnes Nixon could, maybe, do something like this justice. But that's about it.

• Members

Yes, and Caleb went on trial for his murder, as he did not want anyone to learn Angel's secret, even though he hadn't killed her father, her father had committed suicide.

I think near the end of the story, as Angel flashed back to her father molesting her, they then shifted to an even older flashback, as he was molested by his mother.

The story was built for years and had so many layers. Angel hung on so tightly to Holden even when she knew he didn't love her, and people would get angry, they would wonder why...and it was because she knew what her father would do to her if she was alone again.

Archived