Y&R: Potpourri Thread 2

• Members

As much as i loved VR/Drucilla,I don't really want her brought back.

This kind of thinking has really damaged the shows.The constant 'back from the dead' stories are awful and often it's more about the publicity of the actor returning than any interesting long term story.See Thom Bierdz as Y&R's template for this kind of story.

After the shock factor of VR's return,what would happen next? Another marriage to Neil?

Bill Bell was smart enough not to kill off characters with potential just because the actor left,or he ran out of story.

Couldn't Drucilla just have left town as she did the first time VR left?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In as much as I'd love to have Dru/VR back, I shudder to think what Sheffer/Hamner/Rauch would do with this character. VR better insist on the creative control or else her return would be another LML diaster in the making, only worse.

Because she can!

• Members

So?

No more than many of her peers who left & returned to their soaps.

Cady, Lesli, Liz Hubbard, Genie, Tristan, Zimmer, Ellen Dolan, Ted King, Sarah Brown, Martha Byrne, Robin Strasser the list goes on.

Why should she be expected to move on when they haven't?

Tracy Bregman has talked about her lack of airtime but won't sign a contract over the years.

That's not playing the fans?

If they do they do.

If they don't they don't.

It's no worse than Marcil & GH.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Members

Ok, we will never see eye to eye on this issue which is fine, but Tracey Bregman and Victoria Rowell are totally different in how they deal with the show. Tracey has been let go by Bell shows in the past, but has never gone out of her way to bash the show or her fellow actors, whether she had reason to or not. I guess I relate to how she handles things because I was screwed over royally when I was first starting in my career, but for the sake of my career moved on and kept my mouth shut because I knew it made little sense to burn bridges or bad mouth others in the long run.

Almost any actor who is being backburned as much as she has this year would say they would like to work more even if she is recurring, so I don't see that as using the fans. I read an interview with Victoria Rowell that if she comes back that she would like to do so as recurring also. I am sure even though she would be recurring she would want story.

I guess my issue is that Victoria Rowell seems to send out mixed messages, and she is making it sound like she is in negotiations with the show to come back soon. If this is true, great, but if it not true then I think it is disappointing that she is getting so many of her fans hopes up again under false pretenses.

Maybe it is all part of the game, but I guess it is not the typs of game I would play myself. But as they say the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and VR is a squeaky wheel.

• Members

if VR was as close to Bill Bell as she said, maybe she has a bit of pull with the family, like they would have known she was a good friend of Bill (though he was probably friends with all of his characters), he obviously put a lot of stock in VR and Dru. Maria obviously knows her history and her influence and I don't think VR would settle for less, and I think no matter what her goal would be to keep true to the character. Actors should get a bit more say over their characters because they KNOW them and should be able to judge motivation (Now, I mean there's a line between shut up and act, do your job and i'll write [!@#$%^&*] for you and you have to do it, at the expense of this character you've spent years crafting.

Actors shouldn't have full control obviously, but on matters of characterization should be given a bit more credit.

Here's hoping VR brings Dru back to town as we've always known her and at least that will be recognizable. But if

joins this show (as I've just read is speculated) then it won't matter if Jesus Christ himself takes a role, I'm tuning out. That is the last straw I would rather gouge my eyes out, I've had to endure this person far too long on another show and they're finally GONE im not taking a step backwards lmao

• Members

Victoria didn't bash the show.

She bashed the Emmy process & didn't discuss her castmates until THEY bashed HER.

Big difference.

So it's fine for Tracy to discuss her airtime & play her fanbase even though she voluntarily accepted her position with the show but not anyone else?

Tonya Williams said the same thing.

If she is she is.

If she isn't she isn't.

GH & Marcil do the same thing every 6 months.

They also say the rain in spain falls mainly on the plain.

VR's no more "squeaky" than her peers.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Members

lol, it's getting to the point where they should just pull the plug on this laughable show. I think as a final episode they should have Eric Braeden crushing Paul Rauch under his foot.

"How do you think that cigar felt? You got that?"

Victor Newman: and Liberty and Justice for All.

• Members

I agreed with what Victoria said about the emmy process, but lets just say I don't agree that she only started bashing the show after her catmates started bashing her. I saw her as a big instigator in this whole thing. It was probably done to sell more books and get publicity and it worked beautfully.

I don't have any problem with VR discussing anything about the show, her role or wanting fans to help her get back on the show I just find it ironic that she wants to return to a show and a workplace she found so difficult to deal with in the past.

I think her being recurring would be fine. My point was that even though a quality actor is recurring, it doesn't mean they don't have a right to want story. If she comes back as recurring I would not want to see her neglected like Tracey Bregman has been this year by MAB.

Anyway, the plot continues as she is going to be on Buzzworthy radio today. I have to say VR is very savvy. She knows the show is really failing with the Winters clan and this is a prime time to bring Dru back so is putting on the hard press, publicity wise. I just wonder if it will work in the long run given the bad blood. I do think it will help ratings and story in the short term but it depends on how all the parties handle things.

Her fellow actors need to accept her back and value her talent, but she needs to be more of a team player on this ensemble show. If they can do that, then I think they should try to get her back on the show.

• Members

What is there not to agree about?

She didn't say anything personal until her castmates made it personal.

She gave the usual round of interviews that a star usually does when they leave their show.

There was no instigation until she began to discuss her issues with the Emmy process & that instigation was by the media not her.

To reduce her valid issues to a publicity stunt does a tremendous disservice to minorities in Daytime.

Worked for many of her peers.

Why is it so ironic for her but not for them?

I wouldn't want to see she or Tracy neglected but as it is Vicki & Tracy aren't that different.

Pretty much.

Exactly.

• Members

I got a note from her Facebook page asking me to become a fan of the "Bring back Drusilla to Y&R" page. Sounds like things are not moving all that fast if her fan page is trying to whip up support in order to add pressure to TPTB. That's just how I took it.

• Members

I think the media certainly helped, but I remember reading all those interviews and they were not all that typical IMO. I think a number of the actors should have frankly not aired their dirty laundry, including VR and PB.

I think she had very valid issues about the emmy process and the treatment and hiring of minorities in daytime that needed to be talked about. That is why I did not like all the personal grudges/issues being discussed (especially in the Daytime Confidential interview later) because I think it obscured the real important issues she was bringing up.

It became too much about her problems on set or with castmates and not enough about the problems with minorities in the industy or with the emmy process. And let's be realistic here. I don't think all the controversy was to sell books, but VR is a terrific self promoter and never fails in any interview to mention her books/projects etc. There is nothing wrong with this, but I felt sometimes it obscured the focus on the important issues she did bring up and continues to bring up. She just did another interview with Nelson Branco that is out today where they do talk about the show and the issues in daytime along with what is happening in her career.

Archived