Soaps on DVD

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

True - Days is offered on iTunes going back to about 2007, I believe. 1.99 an episode, and there's a season pass as well that's monthly (I think). I don't know how it's working out for them, but it's there, and it's still going. Those residuals are MUCH cheaper because of last year's WGA deal. They only have to start paying bigger bucks the longer the time passes since the original air date, I believe. And since very few people download episodes a week or two after they air, there's no reason to worry it'll break the bank.

• Members

Not sure, but I think it has to do with who owns the distribution rights, not the show itself. I believe Sony owns the distribution rights to Y&R, but Corday owns them for DOOL. (I could be TOTALLY wrong on this one, so I'm sure someone else will correct me if I've botched this up.)

I never really understood the ownership deals Sony has with Corday and Bell, but they're different for Y&R than they are DOOL, I know that.

• Members

I always thought they should try this. I think PASSIONS is one to try first. It ended less than a year ago, it had a devoted fanbase who have expressed interest in owning the show's entirety, and the good thing, it's only about 8 seasons long, MUCH shorter than any of the current soaps.

• Members

Stupidly or not, I still hope that we will get full show releases eventually... even though I do understand why that hasn't happened yet.

But what I really don't get is why all these shows have not taken advantage of their archived episodes and put them all online. Some of them have them all saved, so 2-3 eps a week, few advertisements, could be the only solution. And not stupid stuff, like starting from 1991 or 1980s, but I mean really start from the first episode available and move their way up.

• Members

If you consider that soaps release those books that make bestsellers list, why wouldn't soap fans buy a DVD? Unlike the book they know it's something they want. Plus you can easily promote it for zero dollars by mentioning it before the previews on the show. It promotes itself. They're just dumb for not doing it, IMO. Look at Y&R. It's a huge hit online, on SOAPnet and on CBS. You honestly expect me to believe those DVDs wouldn't sell well? Jeanne Cooper, Melody Thomas Scott, Eric Braeden, etc. are still around to do interviews and commentary. B&B released a 20 episode Best Of in Australia, but not the US? It's sick.

IMO, the one good thing about Guiding Light being cancelled is the hope it'll appear online in the form of classic episodes. Everyone is focused on the current show continuing, but that's what they need to focus on. Then I'd just worry about what decade they'd begin showing episodes from. I'd personally like them to start in the late 70s/early 80s whenever they began saving episodes. I want to see Quint and Nola before all the Pam Long goodness.

• Members

Guiding Light is the most perplexing case IMO. Why? Because they already have a skeleton concept for TWO sets. In 1994, they released two character-centered videos about Roger and Reva. All they need to do is expand the sets to a full season's worth of the characters' best episodes. Possibly with some commentary. Include the original special, as well as a new featurette to recap the years after the specials were made in 1994. Bam. Done. I would buy both of them in a heartbeat. Hell, if PGP wanted to make a small mea culpa for their bitchiness to MZ back in 1997, they can give some of the proceeds to ALS research.

EDITED TO ADD: Of course, I think CBS should replace GL with repeats of the show from the past. It will NEVER happen, but if it did, I'd die happy.

• Members

Brimike's entries have thoroughly depressed me. When Y&R ends, I want my memories :lol:

Surely, with the VOLUME of Y&R eps, they could negotiate something cost-effective re residuals? A special deal with the unions just for that show, reflective of the smaller margins?

Archived