Soaps on DVD

• Members

Speaking of those awful books, I wish they would bring them back. I'm not sure at all if they would sell. I recently picked up the Book of General Hospital that was published around 1993-1995 and that told the whole story of GH. I would love a recap of the past decade or something. Again, how good would it sell? Not sure.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

simply put.. soaps will never be on DVD be3cause it is too big of a risk.

i dont blame the atudios, i wouldnt do it either.

soaps are on dvd, from the 80's on up. granted they are not offical, you have to go to fansites to find them. but they are there. and i have always thought the reason soap people dont get mad and have these sites taken down like so many other shows have done is because it isnt coasting the soap, they are aware they are never going to be realesed on dvd.

i know i have like 5 chapters of Port Charles on dvd and most of Days of our Lives from 1995-99 on DVD. It costed me, ohh... $100 for about 300 dvds. If theyw ere offical rleases it would have been more like 1000+. I mean look at most seasons of tv shows, they have 3-6 discs and sell for $30-60.

im thankful for 80/90's AW on hulu.

• Members

Yeah, ONE LIFE released a trivia book a year ago, and that was the most recent soap book. I'm not sure it sold, because honestly, it didn't have anything I was interested in as a viewer. I want the "album" type books to come back. I'd easily pay 25 or 30 bucks for a show's entire history. That's why I'm hoping AMC does something like that for their 40th next year.

• Members

I agree - I mean look at shows like Texas. I would get that in a heartbeat to see Bev Mac! i think there's a cash cow if they played their cards right ESPECIALLY if they released them digitally. Think if you had to pay .99 to get each episode and you could pick the ones you want? Sure folks like MarkH would gripe about transferring them to DVD - but he can get his pool boy to burn them onto disk for him!

The royalties due on soaps are so different from SAG that I have to look at it. But i think that content older than a certain period gets no residuals. Like I said - if they'd just try and see what the results are of a true boxed collection of soap on DVD they'd make money hand-over fist. For soaps to get another stream of revenue like this could be the saving grace of the industry.

I'd also suggest something that my friend who works in the industry has recomended -an online soap jukebox. Basically it would be a hulu for soaps where you pay a monthly membership fee to towatch high-quality episodes from all the soaps. So you can just pay, click and play all the episodes from your fav soaps for a tiered-monthly system. You couldn't download the episodes, which would be a bummer, but at least you could watch them anytime you like.

• Members

I'd love "Best of..." sets for characters and couples. It wouldn't be edited stuff, but full episodes that highlight certain periods and put into "volumes." For example, "All My Children: The Best of Erica Kane, Vol. 1 - The Early Years," with as many early half-hour Erica-centric episodes that they can find, and so on.

Archived