The Nelson Ratings: June 8, 2009

• Members

I think Perez follows Nelson pretty regularly due to Nelson being gay. Perez used to follow the other TV Guide writer too who was gay. I think he works for SoapsNet now.

I wouldn't want Perez to link my stuff. It's just like the story he reported yesterday about the 2 Party of Five co-stars kissing and made a big deal about it because they played brother and sister on Party of Five. Come to find out the two people kissing were not even the two people he thought they were. The actress was kissing another guy and not the guy who played her brother.

He is just not respected at all.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ugh. I just want to punch him in the face. He doesn't give two shits about daytime at all, so he can shove his feigned excitement over the prospect of a gay couple on OLTL right up his fat attention whore ass. He probably didn't even know what One Life to Live was until he read Nelson's article.

• Members

Calling any soap "popular" today is a sure sign of ignorance lol

Seriously, though, it really bothers me. Any time he reports on anything soap-related at all, he has to be tipped off after the fact about it, but anything else, and he is on it like nobody's business and is all too proud and ready to toot his own tuba about it. His soap-related posts always come off like "Oh hey look, someone just told me that one of the soaps is gonna be doing this gay storyline, I did some quick googling and I think it's called One Life to Live. Oh look! LOOK LOOK LOOK! THE GUY WHO PLAYS THE GUY IS GAY AND HIS BROTHER IS CHRIS EVANS FROM FANTASTIC FOUR!!!! AWESOMMMMEEEEEE! I wonder if he's looking for a boyfriend..."

As far as the storyline is concerned, it could give me some renewed hope in Carlivati. I like to think that he wouldn't muck something like this up, and neither would Frankie. Frons is the one to worry about. I've been jonesin' for Fish to be gay ever since his adorable self showed up.

• Members

I'm no prude or anything, but I'm a bit put off by how trashy racy Nelson's column can be. I am often surprised by what I read on there, not by the subject matter itself, but by the fact that it's on TV Guide's website. I've come to the conclusion that things are a little looser up in Canada. Reiner and Coleridge would make catty and sexual comments, but nothing like Branco. If a straight male columnist was objectifying the female soap stars like that, he'd be the worse thing since Paul Rauch.

• Members

Yes they do. He or she often makes changes to his blog after he publishes it.

I know every once in awhile things will change from one time to the next that you read it. When I used to post over at DR he would talk about that from time to time how the editor found a mistake or something.

So yes there is one. I guess they don't have a problem with the sexual references he makes from time to time.

• Members

You would think they would worry about their reputation too though. Because it has really hurt them as many people no longer look to them as a genuine source of information anymore.

I know I don't.

I no longer know what Nelson is trying to be.

He at times wants to simply be an entertainer. But then he will turn around and try to break a big news story like the thing with Ed Scott or with Chris Engen and because of his trying to be an entertainer you can't take him or his sources seriously. Then at other times he comes off simply as a fan boy no better than any other fan on the Internet.

He needs to decide if he wants to be an entertainer, fan boy or a serious journalist. Because the combination does him no favors at all. He will never be taken seriously as a journalist as long as he insists on being the others.

It's like looking at Jay Leno or David Letterman as new reporters. If they broke a big story no one would believe it.

I mean you can't be kissing someone's butt one day and then break a big story about them the next. Or talk about someone not being endowed one day or praising them to the point people think you are wanting to go to bed with them, and then expect everyone to believe you when you say you have some big source.

It gets to be the same as no one believing the headlines on the National Enquirer or even Soaps In Depth or Soap Opera Digest anymore.

I honestly think Nelson wants to be taken as a serious soap opera journalist when he breaks these big stories but he will never be as long as the other stuff is there.

• Members

He's trying to be Perez Hilton. Not a bad goal, in terms of $$. That dude is raking in money with all the hits. You can love him or hate him, but he is driving traffic. That counts.

NB has directly said, direct quote, "I am not a journalist". He's a hybrid...entertainer, journalist, reviewer, editorialist, interviewer, fan, gossip columnist, muckraker, humorist, activist, advocate. I think people who have a hard time with him have a hard time seeing through all that...but it is the same mix that Perez uses.

NB is one of the first in the "mainstream" venues with scoop. Most of what he says comes true. All the rest is garnish that you can look through if you wish, but what he says is mostly true or mostly comes to pass.

• Members

His spoilers and firings and stuff I agree with you.

But not one of his big stories has gone anywhere. He breaks all this [!@#$%^&*] and stirs up controversy and then goes no where with it. All he does is angers fans at him, at others, and at the shows. His so called scoops like the Ed Scott [!@#$%^&*] and the Chris Engen [!@#$%^&*] do nothing but hurt the soaps.

If you are going to break something like that and ruin a person's career at least follow through with it. Instead of leaving it at inuendo and gossip level.

I don't mind his other [!@#$%^&*] one bit but these so called big stories he tries to break do more harm than good. And they end making him look bad and making people not believe him when he does scoop something.

I know I can't take him seriously and I used to be one of his biggest supporters, but I don't trust the man anymore. And I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth these days.

He knows he is not going to be able to go anywhere with these stories because the shows aren't going to let him. He is either doing it at their bidding to make someone look bad or he is just trying to stir up something that he can't even prove.

I'm at the point where if you aren't going to follow up on it then leave the crap alone. The damage is not worth it at this point. At least with Paul Denis and others when all the crap happened with George Reinholt and Harding Lemay they broke it but didn't drop it. They reported it and went on.

These reporters think the shows have them over a barrel, but if they ever think with their brains they ought to know the shows can't survive without them. Sure they can threaten not to give scoops to the magazines anymore. But who are they going to turn too? The magazines quit carrying them and promoting them, it's not like EW and People are going to give them front page covers. And not everyone has the Internet so they can't do all their advertising there.

Paul Denis knew that secret. He didn't let P&G or Paul Rauch or Harding Lemay stop him from reporting the truth.

But today's reporters are no better than the hacks that write the shows. They cater to the whims of the few.

• Members

it really does seem tho that for whatever reason the soap press - and inf act, eben other press in most areas - have to be extreme one way or the other. Either they suck up and kiss ass and praise everything, and when they do decide to be a critic they always backtrack over it - or they bash anything and everything.

• Members

He steals a lot of these spoilers and news from other bloggers and sites. He has been called out of lot of late, especially since he accused others of not giving him and his buds at Daytime Confidential credit.

I no longer read his column. I am not giving him any hits.

Archived