Y&R: Week of June 8, 2009

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ETA: I used spoiler tags, but there are NO spoilers in here, just pure speculation. But just in case....

Here's my only issue with

-- it only really works for me on Y&R if it NEVER gets resolved (or takes many, many years). And soap fans these days won't stand for that. But ideally,

would be fantastic. But in this day and age, the audience demands you

during the next available Sweeps period (see: AMC/OLTL, ATWT, OLTL again, DOOL). And to me, that makes it a total plot-driven mess.

then I think I could get behind it. It would be a really nice nod to the

, and be a wonderful secret to keep buried throughout all sorts of future storylines.

I only wish the audience had that kind of patience anymore. But those days are gone.

• Members

Burning Questions for the Week:

Will Cane's mighty swimmers pierce immaculate Lily's secret garden? Ewwwwww...the image...Ewwwwwwww

We know Daniel can draw, but can he kill a man with his thighs? LOL...maybe he can kill him with his big floppy stick!

With Colleen missing in action, does drag Adam have what it takes to be the new fresh face of Jabot? As long as he deosnt have to kiss a male model at Jabot.

• Members

Michelle has a great ass and calves.

Damn, Jack is getting all types of tail today.

My Y&R watching is a little sporadic... what the hell was that West Hollywood choir robe Adam was wearing at the top of the show? I'm guessing he frightened her on Friday and she fell down the stairs? And what exactly is his beef with Ashley, or is he more about destroying everything Victor loves?

• Members

I think viewers would be more patient if they knew their soap could write a long term storyline. I don't think MAB, Sheffer, Hamner, whoever else I may be forgetting, have shown an ability to plot long-term story. Katherine's big story became bad camp, the Sharon/Nick/Billy/Jack/Phyllis story is repetitive and sleazy, and Adam's haunting of Ashley is more interesting for the gothic flair and the backstage drama than what is happening with the characters. Long term storylines require solid characterization, believable motivations, great pacing. I don't know if Y&R excels in any of those areas now.

• Members

I think there are a lot of viewers here on SON who would. But whenever I travel around to other boards, it seems people get antsy after only a couple weeks with any story, and wonder "when this is going to be over". I'm always really impressed with a lot of SON posters who talk about time and patience and building long-term character-driven story, and about the long-term damage done by short-term stunts/SORAS'ing/back-from-the-dead stories, etc. And I agree whole-heartedly. But I really do believe we are not the majority these days when it comes to the soap viewing audience. It's sad, but it's kinda how I see it.

• Members

That actually makes sense to me, logistically. Trying to keep Bierdz under wraps, they probably couldn't write him in more than once or twice in the time between when they wrote the May 15th episode, up until May 15th itself when it became public knowledge he was back.. Otherwise, the more episodes Bierdz/Phillip was written in, the better chance that it would leak.

So I totally understand why Bierdz showed up, and then disappeared. If for no other reason than to lessen the chance of his return being leaked.

• Members

I think the viewers who are left are viewers who will give a long term story a chance. They may complain, but that's a lot of what the Internet is about for soap fans. Venting. My memory's probably misleading me, but most of the comments I saw about the Katherine/Marge story were positive, even with the relatively lengthy arc, until the bad camp with Clint started. The key is to keep a long story fresh, as Bill Bell knew how to do, instead of dragging something out for the sake of dragging it out.

The soaps don't know how to tell most stories now. If they ever remember how, then viewers may reward them.

• Members

I really hope you're right - if for no other reason then it would restore my faith in the Nielsen-viewing-audience. LOL!

Meanwhile, back to today's show - misogynistic though they may be, these Adam/Ashley scenes are CAPTIVATING.

• Members

Ah ha ha ha! He had been dressed as Sabrina before Ashley took her fall. You saw him post-wig.

You know, it could be as simple as MAB/Hamner going in the press and saying, 50 times, "We're about to set in motion a story that will take 10 years to resolve". Just say it 50 times in every venue. Maybe then the audience will shut up and go along for the ride.

Then again, folks here have been derided for a "passenger" mentality...so maybe there ISN'T patience for this.

I love love love the idea of Ashley unknowingly raising another woman's child. Beautiful full circle. And then when the child gets leukemia, and Victor is a suitable donor (because Nick is the real daddy) or Ashley is a suitable donor (because Jack/Billy are the real daddy), nobody will be the wiser!

I cannot wait to see Monday's show. I am totally gripped. I'm not spoiler free, but I still want to see how it is done. What dialogue is used. How is the scene set? What music plays? Because there is SO much more to the show these days than what is on the page.

OT: I think that is the secret to rebuilding soap viewership a little. Make the show so good that you still have to watch, even if you're spoiled.

• Members

They're pretty dark and demented, and don't leave the best taste in your mouth when all is said and done. Let's face it - the subject matter is not for everyone. But I was pretty glued to every beat Engen and Davidson played. They're not exactly "fun" scenes, but I was riveted.

Archived