Y&R: Week of June 1, 2009

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The problem with Nicholas isn't that he's a douchebag.

It's that JM's extremely lazy.

Case & Stafford are working hard but they can only do so much when Josh is content doing the bare mininum.

It's not that he doesn't try. It's that he doesn't try hard enough.

• Members

Joshua Morrow's job is to help MS and SC by making it clear to us why these women are crazy for him. Even if he's a toad, he could be a red-hot toad where at least we get why Sharon & Phyllis are ignoring Prince Charming Jack for airhead Nick. Both Sharon & Phyllis are sensual beings but neither of them are so shallow that they would throw away a supportive man like Jack just because Nick might have a bigger stick. Cause really, that's the only motivation I can come up with here. JM's job is to be alluring and JM's job is OWN Nick's douchey-ness. Nick is not a good person at all. He's an !@#$%^&*]. JM keeps fighting that and Nick just comes across as a pathetic ditherer.

• Members

Apparently, CLB didn't test well with Nielsen surveys and focus groups when he was briefly a lead in 2004-2005, hence why he was dropped back to his supporting capacity where he continues to linger. I personally don't need him as a third leading actor on this show, I've already got Bergman and Braeden for that, and their characters are much more broad in terms of their appeal in Genoa City, Michael Baldwin doesn't have the history of a Jack Abbott or a Victor Newman. He needs to stay supporting. That said, I wouldn't mind more of a front-burner supporting story for Michael, but Lauren won't be used much. As we've seen in the episode counts, RECURRING actors do no get much screen time, and unfortunately, Tracey E. Bregman will not be an exception to that rule, especially in these economic times and when Sony has cut Y&R's licensing fees recently.

Gloria, Jeffrey, and even Kevin and Jana have been really downplayed recently. Sure, they're used more than Michael and Lauren, but they're not leading any big storyline. I think the show realizes that these characters don't work well on the frontburner and when their shoved down everyone's throats. Gloria, for example, isn't getting much storyline and screen time as she did during Latham's run, and the character isn't being propped at the expense of others.

• Members

I have heard this, I guess here on SON. I'd sure love to see a source on this. This is the kind of rumor that could really damage an actor's career or future employment prospects ("didn't test well")...so it would be wonderful to have a source.

• Members

I guess if you compare the Nielsen surveys that came out in 2005 and then again in 2007 and judge for yourself how that might have impacted the show, you can possibly see what changed dramatically between that time, even if you don't have the concrete results

DaytimeFan brought this up several times about CLB fairing horribly with the Nielsen survey and focus groups as a leading man on the show, and I'm also guessing CLB doesn't have a high Q score in a leading capacity either.

He must have had more favourable results in a supporting capacity, than a leading one. It really doesn't damage his career unless he tests horribly again in a leading capacity in his next project, should he be able to move on from Y&R and gain better employment.

• Members

I don't put much stock in focus groups since producers probably set them up to "confirm" what they already know. The only reliable way to determine popularity is ratings, which is why VR has a right to be so "bitchy". She does impact the ratings and yet the show can't find a way to work with her. CLB/Michael is undoubtedly popular but who wants to watch him as part of the Fisher crime family? He was much more engaging as Lauren's husband or as part of the Paul/Christine/Mikey/Isabella quad.

And then there's the over reliance on the "popular" Quad. It's been front & center for two years now, but I don't think it honestly drives ratings. Just discussion because what else is there to talk about?

• Members

LOL! He's OK in a supporting capacity, but I do not need Michael Baldwin as a leading man on this show, and the Fisher-Baldwins are such a wannabe core family. I guess I can see how the Nielsen survey and focus groups didn't like his leading man status much in 2004-2005. That's not to say that I'm belittling his fans or whatever, and I know he does have his fans.

• Members

Where is the proof of Rowell's impact in the ratings? Mark, do any of your charts show a correlation between Rowell's exits and the ratings on Y&R?

I don't remember exactly when in 1998 Rowell first exited.

But I know her second stint ended in August 2000.

and her final stint was from August 15th, 2002 to April 6, 2007.

• Members

I love statements like this. Three different writing regimes (Alden/Smith, LML and MAB) and four different EP's (Ed Scott, LML, Josh Griffith and MAB/Rauch) have all found her difficult to work with, and yet "the show" is the one who can't find a way to work with "her".

I love VR onscreen (don't know her as a person so I can't judge that), and I miss Drucilla like crazy. But I have to come to terms with the fact that as amazing as she is on camera, as talented as she is, and as beloved by the fans as she is - the woman is just too difficult to work with, no matter who is running the show.

• Members

So, this is an interesting statement. The only "on the record" statements we have about this are from VR herself, who expressed her reasons (in several venues) for leaving the LML-Y&R.

Nowhere have I ever read/heard before that other regimes had difficulty with her.

MAB/Rauch haven't worked with her, have they? But, obviously, with all the bridges she seems to be burning, I see no way for MAB to take her back. VR claimed in one interview that she and MAB are close (from the LA art scene).

For me, the question is not about Rowell. It is about how to repair the gaping ruins in the show's African American family.

• Members

Write the exisiting one off, and then hire a good storyteller with a detailed bible to slowly integrate a new African American family.

And no, I do not want Sally Suckass Moron-a on this show again and her possibly ripping off her original and boring as hell Generations bible.

Archived