Y&R: Week of June 1, 2009

• Members

At this point, I just want her to do serious, serious harm.

I finally saw the show. Just a few observations:

1. Kevin and Amber reading the message boards was a LOT of fun. Because what they were reading was a beautiful evocation of what we read on these message boards. Complaints about criminal Kevin getting away with stuff, complaints about Amber...even complaints about Gloria. It was nice to see the Y&R writers (Jay Gibson and Janice Ferri Esser) send a wink to internet fans

2. Was it intended that we see that Sabrina wears dark panties beneath her white angel robes? Or that she apparently wears no brassiere?

3. Chris Engen will be a major loss. He truly is getting the hang of it. From last week's "What the Hell?" (when Ash was talking to Daddy) to today's "Damn, just when I got her to the edge!".

sabrina_under.jpg

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yea this was part of what had me wondering what kind of show LML had in mind

Yes I'm kinda diggin that these four commiserate int he ways they do.

Yes Nick is that. But I hope he's regressed with intention of some necessary growth for the character.

Isn't she though? I think she's playing the beats extremely well. I can see clearly where Phyllis has reached her wits end and who Phyllis is fed up with. It's Nick turn and when it rains I feel it's going to pour. Can't wait to watch her tell him to beat it...

Man I couldn't agree more. Phyllis is a savage when she's the underdog.

• Members

I have never liked Ashley, so normally I would struggle to feel sorry for her, but most of her personality has been taken away to the point where she's more like this generic victim who is tied to Victor. Most of my reaction to this story is why? I don't get where any of this is going, it's all atmosphere.

• Members

The chemistry between ED & CE is insane. The really should have gone the affair route with Adam & Ashley. Oh, well. LMAO at Adam "whoever is doing this to you is a freak." Yes, indeed!

MarkH, you talked about Darfur and that should be used to help explain where Mac is coming from. I wish Y&R's stories weren't siloed and that it had real artistry because there's a huge missed opportunity to use Mac's journey and Adam's descent as foils. As you know I'm sure, the horrible rape epidemic in the Sudan isn't driven by lust or anger or any feeling towards the female victims. It's a way to humiliate the male relatives of the rape victims and the women are just "collateral damage". In his own way, Adam is doing the exact same thing to Ashley. He has no personal animosity towards Ashley. He may even like her. Yet he is torturing her to get at her male relatives. It's extremely disturbing & misogynistic when you really think about it. As a standalone story, Ashley's haunting can came off as camp, but if Mac has been drawn into the Newman sphere (JT being the common denominator), Mac's experiences could be used to inform Adam's motivations while Adam's "terrorism" (for lack of a better word) could be used to help explain Mac's guarded nature.

Ladies understand this -- Heaven means not having to wear a bra.

• Members

I loved the Victor/Jack scenes. I liked when he said we're getting you out of this garbage. LMAO. No witty comeback adlib from Braeden.

Chris and Eileen have nice chemistry. It's not amazing though (and Eileen had the same thing with Diamont). I still like Chris consistent performances, but I welcome the new guy. The only thing that sucks is that we'll have a new face, when we're so used to CE being Adam. At this point, that's all it truly is.

• Members

Goddamn the quad!!!!! No, Goddamn Sharon. All she wanted was Nick and now she settles for Jack cause it's the grown-up thing to do?

Or is she scared to be with Nick now that she's a hot mess?

All in all, therapy time. Intervention time. Drugs time. Or something cause I can't take how this character is dictating how the quad will resolve itself.

More jack/ Victor scenes please.

Engen did a good job on Monday's episode.

Morrow's final scene with Stafford left a lot to be desired. It's a shame; she was responding to some finality in him, but I saw nothing. What a scene if he put something more in it.

• Members

The Jack/Victor confrontation scenes are the most alive and familiar thing that I have seen on Y&R in months. I never thought I would ever say that after becoming tired of their years of arguing, but it is true. Y&R is the best soap and has a lot of good things happening, but the show feels off kilter somehow, rudderless, meandering. It would help if they had Jack and Victor engage directly more frequently. They could reluctantly team up to help Ashley. Nikki should also be more involved in this story.

• Members

DD & ED had a ton of chemistry, too.

It interesting from an acting point of view to compare the interplay between CE & ED in a "small" scene where he's just welcoming her back and compare it to the interplay between Josh Morrow & Michelle Stafford in a "big" scene where their marriage is imploding. Adam & Ashley were actively listening to each other's words but also their smiles, energy, etc. They were in turn with each other. Michelle Stafford's Phyllis was having a nervous breakdown and "reacting" to a brick wall. I was impressed by MS' bag of tricks, but she might as well have been alone on stage for all that JM gave her. There was nothing between them. And this is not Phick vs. Shick because JM can be just as flat around SC.

Jack & Victor are gold together. The Kay/Jill feud has gotten plenty of attention but the Jack/Victor feud has not been served well at all these last few months. Ashley leaving with Victor gives Jack all the excuse he needs to pop up anytime. Yet, for some reason, TPTB think we would rather see Jack chase Sharon around like a puppy 24/7.

• Members

Amen. The absence of Jack, Billy and Traci ... even Colleen ... from this tale has really impoverished it. I'm sure it has to do with EB's "selective" shooting schedule (to minimize his inconvenience, they put him with as few scene partners as possible)...but it is hurting the story.

LMAO about the bolded part. I do hope the quad is backburnered (which it won't be) for a while, because I CANNOT STAND TO LOOK AT NICK RIGHT NOW. He and Neil should go form a d-bag club, and run it out of Murphy's trailer. Just leave town.

TGVN and JackAbbott are gold. I have missed them too. But I guess with Mary Jane ramping up, we'll see more of that. "Slow burn".

Engen has been TERRIFIC...playing the right blend of comedic, sweetness, and malevolence. Oh well, I'm letting go. It's just three more weeks....

I think what you're hitting on is the lack of integration. Part of what made Kay's tale great was that it served as a bit of an umbrella to bring all kinds of disparate characters together. The show lacks that right now in a meaningful way. I guess we are promised that an umbrella tale involving Newmans, Abbotts and Williams is coming this summer?

• Members

IA. What has really workd for me, an unabashed Eileen Davidson fangirl, is that I have taken to both Ashley and Adam and am absolutely torn over what Adam is doing. Furry will be missed.

Wow. I knew EB had a say on who he wants to act with but I didn't know he had quota limits.

• Members

Signy Coleman reported that he was always impatient to get done. In addition to being first up, his common mantra to get the cameras rolling is "Let's shoot this sh!t".

He said it so often that once, as a joke, they took the young actor who played Victor Junior, pasted a mustache on him, and had him come out on set and say "Let's shoot this sh!t". The crew cracked up.

So, as contracts and guarantees have gone by, I would not be REMOTELY surprised (but I have know knowledge of this) if he negotiated something like 'I will only shoot Monday and Tuesday mornings". I have no idea about this, but it is what I have speculated in my head. Does anyone know?

• Members

I watched yesterday's show last night and was slightly disappointed...It wasn't necessarily a bad show, but I was expecting more.

I think Michelle Stafford totally brought it in her scenes with Morrow, and I know there are those who think JM should've given more but I was satisfied with his performance. I think the contrast between the two performances is what helped Michelle shine. Phyliss knows what Nick's decision was and as much as she doesn't want to hear it, she wants to just so it's finally out there..Michelle played several beats in that scene it was awesome..

I know some don't like the 4some of Dan/Amber/Kev/Jana but I actually like them a lot. I love to see real friendships on soaps and these four genuinely seem like a crew of people you would find on any college campus and all the actors have a really great natural chemistry between them. Though it looks like their may be some partner swapping, I'd love it if there wasn't and the friendships stayed just the way they are.

Finally the issue of Ashley being seperate from the Abbott's came up. Ya know, I was beginning to wonder when Jack was going to remember he had a sister who may have been losing her mind..And who doesn't love a good Jack and Victor showdown?

Ugh, CE is making it harder and harder in these last few weeks to accept that a recast is just around the corner..

Can't wait for today's episode, the previews looked awesome. So happy to see Mary Jane and Nikki back.

Archived