Y&R: Week of June 1, 2009

• Members

When Morrow left the show two years ago ("plane crash death"), Morrow was quoted in the press as saying something like "Let's face it, any guy with abs could play Nick".

So, if he feels Nick as as generic as that...that might also give some insight into his performance.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's interesting and true in a way. Time can make a character ones own though, so as every year slips away I think it because less true. It seems like some IIC never quite understand this. I always thought Y&R was one show that did though. Still, I can't deny that Nick is a pretty generic character. I'm not sure if this is because of how he is written or how he's played. Or how he is written due to how he is played, for that matter.

• Members

Maybe TPTB assume that SC, PB & MS will just carry JM. Or, more likely, they don't think twice about what their actors can or can't do for them. Such is the arrogance or blindness of writers sometimes. In their mind's eye, JM's Nick is expressing the complexity of Nick's situation. TIIC refuse to acknowledge or understand or just don't care that JM either can't or won't deliver as an actor. Why else are they okay with JM phoning it in most of the time?

The writers have tried to write Nick as "smart" at times but it failed. JM has plenty of colors and possibilities to play but he either can't or won't. Even though Cane is a similar himbo type, at least Daniel Goddard tries. He might fall but I give DG credit for effort.

Speaking of phones, there's this great story about Edward James Olmos. One day on the Battlestar Galatica, Mary McDonnell had a scene where her character was talking to EJO's character on the phone. It was EJO's day off and he was not being filmed that day. Still, he came in, to act his line against MM, so that she would have the benefit of being to truly react to EJO in the scene. That's pretty cool.

• Members

If they're really going to have Paul/Nikki wed, then does that mean we'll get to see Mary again? I know Carolyn Conwell is sick, but I'd love if she could return for an episode or two. Nikki/Paul/Mary could have been such a hoot to the buildup of this wedding.

JM may be an uneven actor, but he's surrounded by good actors which makes him bearable. Besides, I bet the majority of viewers don't really care about his acting either way. As long as he smiles and looks good, everything is okay.

• Members

Y&R should be a 4.0. If I had to give one reason why it's not, I would point to JM's performance. This quad should be the hottest thing on any show. He's the epi-center of the story and he's being carried. Even Nick fans are getting sick of him. I used to love the Quad and didn't mind JM"s performance. I am now turned off and I surely can't be the only viewer.

• Members

You are too harsh on Josh Morrow. The quad sucks because of the writing which is tedious, repetitive, and circuitous. How many times has Sharon moved out of the Abbott mansion? How many times has Jack pleaded with her to give them another chance? How many times has Phyllis begged Nick to make a choice? For goodness sake, make it stop! Josh hasn't been great, but I'm not putting this on him when the writing is crappy.

• Members

I don't see how Morrow is any worse than Chris Engen, who is constantly pimped to high heaven in this thread. I can barely watch anything with Adam. The way Engen delivers everything in that one-note monotone voice of his. He plays every scene the same way. I could care less about the reasons for why he's left, I'm just glad I won't have to watch him any longer on this show. He's more bland than Morrow, IMO.

• Members

You're comparing a supporting actor to a the "real" LEAD actor of the show? The quad has been front & center for years, and Nick is the center of the quad. Nick is arguably the most important character on the show. Obviously I'm a fan of CE's acting but I would never give him or any other supporting actor (even someone I don't like such as CF), credit/blame for a ratings shift. I'm harsh on JM because so much depends on him. Josh Morrow is the Steve Burton/Cam Matheson/Mike Easton/James Scott/Michael Park of Y&R. He is the leading romantic hero, and is the center of the biggest and longest running story. It's perfectly fair to demand more of him if the writers are going to make Nick so critical.

IMO, a good way to fix this is to make one of the women -- Sharon or Phyllis -- the center of the Quad. Let Nick make his choice, and just stick to it. Stop putting him on the see-saw. If Nick would just choose Sharon and not change his mind, then the story could center around Sharon and her pregnancy. Let her lead this story.

• Members

No, I'm comparing two actors that are frontburner on this show right now, regardless of which capacity they fill. Lead and Supporting have nothing to do with acting by itself. Most of the "supporting" actors in daytime I would say are the better actors on their respective shows. It's like what's always said about the Supporting categories at the Oscar's, it's often the most interesting category, but it's the overall acting I look at, not who is Supporting or Lead.

I don't credit any one actor or couple for the ratings. I think soaps are an ensemble effort and most people watching probably don't even watch for a particular couple or character, they watch out of habit.

Archived