Y&R: Week of June 1, 2009

• Members

Honestly I've been hearing the 'it's mostly guilt' argument as to Nick's continuing draw to Sharon, I don't see it but I'm not going to pretend to be the most insightful into the character at this point. What I believe is if it is written as guilt more than it is love then the character is an arse who in the end should wind up with nunca. Whilst now I believe Nick should end up with nunca for a bit whilst on some sort of journey to redemption I think once redeemed he can reap with rewards. But how at this point would this man ever be seen in any good light if he chooses to replace one family with the next only to realize he did it out of guilt in the end? That sounds like a journey to COMPLETE character assassination if I ever heard it

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Michelle has given this as a reason as well. Not to mention the character spent two days talking to his wife about how guilty he feels about Sharon. So, even if you don't really buy the spin regarding the last few months, our beloved writers seemed to hit us over the head with the "guilt" right before he found out Sharon was pregnant. I'm not saying it's a good story but it's the one they are telling. Or at least, "trying" to tell.

• Members

I agree guilt is definitly one fo the emotions the character is going through, I think it's the primary emotion the character has been allowed to reveal. I see it like this: This man had an affair with his now wife she got pregnant they formed a dynamic and this all lead to him divorcing his first wife. Ok, so what is it Nick's conscience take 4 years to realize how guilty he is? I don't buy that and as much issues we can have with the current writers I'd like to think of a much more intelligent approach. I think what we have here are many suppressed emotions now coming to the surface guilt just happens to be one of them. Because things have spiralled so out of control of course Nick feels guilty because he's hurting the ones he love, I don't think it is the primary factor in driving him in the direction he is headed. It is certainly one of them. It makes no sense that he's sacrificing more of hte same that caused his guilt, to absolve himself or to make things right with some of who or what he feels guilty about

• Members

Yes, I think that is generally true. But since there has been so much debate about what Joshua is bringing to the part (his internal backstory) and his preparatory process, I think this excerpt was useful in showing us what he brings to it.

The fact that he admits not really rehearsing, for example, I think is evidence in favor of the "laziness" hypothesis.

And the fact that he feels guilty about both women...whether it reads on screen or not...at least shows us what beat he is trying to play internally. As viewers...whether we think we see it or not...is the measure of whether he is a good actor who conveys what he means to convey. There, I think, we have some heterogeneity of opinion here on SON.

• Members

I don't give a flying flip what Josh Morrow says about guilt. Like every soap actor, he is desperate to find motivation for his character being an @sshole. I don't see guilt on the screen and it isn't in the dialogue. If Josh Morrow is trying to portray guilt, I recommend that he take some acting lessons. Like I said, whatever it takes to get through the quad from hell.

• Members

Ok but Mark that is an interview done about a month and a half ago at least, all that tells me is he saw Nick somewhere into May and he didn't say much about his character maybe he's directed as such to only show guilt or maybe by his own admission he sees or feels the character feels guilty and that is leading him to playwith the intention of that as the primary beat. It really doesn't say much to me about Nick and what he's expressing. Nick should be expressing more layered emotion the point is what-ever JM is seeing in his character is lost on me and a whole lot of people. It's fine to be ok with it as a viewer but from the show I have been watching I can't help but notice the missing beats

• Members

I definitely see the guilt in Nick's behavior. Not to mention why else is he drawn to Sharon so strongly after all this time. It's pretty obvious to me that it's guilt for the part he's played in her downfall. Most people would be pretty disgusted with a woman who has slept with 3 guys in the course of a week and blamed their son's teenage GF for her crime.

On the other side of it, why has it taken Nick all this time to make a decision. Maybe I'm supposed to believe it's love for Phyllis, but I don't think so. I believe he does love both woman, but I also see the guilt as the reason he hasn't left Phyllis. Phyllis has been playing on that guilt like a master. Notice how she has brought Summer up over and over again in a very manipulative way. I think it's understandable, but I also think it's very clear she's playing on Nick's guilt.

• Members

I see the guilt too, but it doesn't explain why Nick feels he should intercept what Jack is offering Sharon. whilst also sacrificing his place with his own daughter and wife. There is more than guilt. Guilt is A primary drive for the character's current action, it doesn't make sense that it be the only primary drive. If Nick allows himself to think that there is a chance for him and SHaron, he has to feel guilty because he knows what truly ruined them. So guilt makes perfect sense but it isn't the sole reason for reconnection. There's guilt, there's faith (what Nick believes to be faith and destiny) among so many other aspects....

Thos EH/BM scenes today were great. Love Chloe's development love her intrspective take on Billy/Jill dynamic I love how Jill/Chloe seem to sympathize and understand each other than not. Love Chloe/Billy's breakdown of Cane vs Billy.

Archived