Y&R: Week of June 1, 2009

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've seen no growth in Engen as an actor for the year and half or so he's been on this show. He plays everything the same he's been playing all of his scenes from the start.

This embarrassment of a scene should have been enough to get him canned a few months ago, Skip to 6:10:

• Members

Any episode with that much Victor just bores me to tears. People complain about other actors phoning it in, this man sends it by carrier pigeon.

He must have really been something decades ago, that he still commands such awe and admiration from the fans from back then, but in the couple of years I've been watching, I've come to loath him. I wouldn't mind a 'who killed Victor?' storyline at all.

Although he does make for one hell of a drinking game. "You know what I mean"--take a drink. "All right"--do a shot. "Ok"--pick someone else to drink. He reminds me of one of those toys with the string in the back, pull it and you'll get one of the character's catchphrases.

Just something I wanted to get off my chest.

• Members

CE's performance is polarizing -- people love him, like him or hate him. It's been pretty much like that from day one. If CE does act again, I assume his work will always be polarizing. Sometime folks come around to his style, sometime they just don't.

JM's just there to be pretty. Outside of Cassie's death, I've never see him garner love for his performances. His acting is almost always rated as fair or below average. But he's so beautiful, it's doesn't usually matter. Most of the time, for most of us, that's enough. Even for me, it's usually enough. It's just the writing for the Quad right now has really tested my patience with JM's performance. Go back to "old" Nick and I promise to shut up.

It also doesn't help JM that his character is always "beating" Peter Bergman's Jack. I can be shallow just like everyone else, but as a woman, I find it impossible to believe that Sharon & Phyllis always prefer Nick to Jack. Sometimes, you do want the sensitive guy. Women are fickle like that!

Y&RWorldTurner, that scene just makes me mad at CE for walking away from the show and denying us what would have been a hot

• Members

I thought that last Victor/MJ scene was unintentionally funny. When she hugged him and he said "you'll be ok" and practically ran out the door. :lol: He started something he can't finish. Its shocking that he doesn't seem to understand that.

• Members

Ok, well, I'll just say that I like Victor's nonchalant scenes, particularly when he kicks people out of the house like today. It's hilarious to me.

EB of old will need a story a lot more potent than what's been given to him. The Mary Jame s/l had potential but now that he's given up, it's fallen flat and has ruined the possibility of EB being the #1 a--hole in Genoa city.

• Members

EB has seemed a little off of late. He is strong & healthy for 67 but he is still 67. Most folks have retired by now. For his sake, the show should probably scale back a bit on Victor. I don't think EB has the same energy & vivacity that Jeanne Cooper does. She's never seemed tired or distracted.

We talked about the lack of Michael before, but what is Victor used Michael more as his right hand man? Michael, acting as Victor's surrogate, could pick up some of Victor's story, giving EB a little bit more time off while utilizing CLB.

• Members

I've seen much worse. Truthfully, I don't think the scene was so bad.

I LOVED this one scene where Victor was in jail, and he said something along the lines of "everybody is dead to you now..." Engen was just on point there.

ETA: Hearing EB say blond bi-tch today was HYSTERICAL.

• Members

i don't think eric braeden is off at all, and he doesn't seem distracted or tired in his scenes.

and jack is "sensitive" and should win over nick? you mean the jack who seems to sabotage every relationship he's in??? nick has his problems, but i hardly think jack abbott is a prize.

count me in with those who think CE is bland and boring. i just don't understand criticizing josh morrow and in the next breath praising chris engen.

• Members

Yeah you would think I would accept this and move on but his place in the story right now really highlights this. Anyway moving on I guess....

Today's epi was ok. Mary/Jane SH was the real standout and a bit of interesting perspectives addressed within the Paul/Nikki pairing

• Members

damn right, Jack is sensitive. He's an emotional mess these days! He just wants be loved! And have a kid! And crush Victor! Is that too much to ask?

I don't mind Nick wining sometimes or even most of the time. But ALL of the time? At the very least, Phyllis should be macking on Jack to make Nick jealous.

• Members

I tend to agree with you on this and also because the dialogue for Nick has been constantly repetitive. I feel as a viewer I am trapped in some "timewarp" that I am hoping we get out of soon. This retcon of the Phick s/l for Shick is hilarious beyond even my imagination. :lol: However, I do find this current storylines for Nick and Adam at the moment rather amusing, I am just waiting for them to interconnect somehow because they have to. They are both portraying the awful sides of Victor when he is a complete arse**** :lol: Hopefully when this Shick malarkey and Adam malarkey hits the fan, Victor will truly get to understand some of the terrible effects he has had on his children's lives especially his sons.

I truly love Joshua's performances, I really do and I love that it is understated and he plays the character in a way that I can identify Nick as a rich everyday bloke who's just normal. Joshua seems to have a very self-depreciating attitude about his work, maybe because of the experienced thespians he gets to work with. But I love that his performance can be nuanced when it is called for and it's natural and that he is probably one of those actors on a SOAP who doesn't have to act like he is doing a Shakespearan play. :lol:

As far as the writers taking Nick to such a repulsive, insensitive level to the point where you are wondering WTF is going on, it's not very difficult to see why. Whichever woman he CHOOSES next and thinks that should be his choice when he is at this very now low level is probably going to be very sorry. Just glad it is not me!! :lol:

Archived