Y&R: Week of June 1, 2009

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What? I hate him! If it came from an interview of SC's, there must be some truth to this. Now I just hope they'll kill Victor off. I certainly won't miss him. I don't even love to hate him. He's just ridicoulus to me: a 90-year-old man who's still looking for a woman to carry a child he won't even raise. Please.

Monday's show was quite disappointing. What's up with ghosts/dreams/allucinations and all? The storylines are becoming crazier by the day. Take Daniel's latest storyline, for example. It screams RELIQUARY to me. It brings back old memories, and none of them are good. Who came up with such a ludicrous concept?

If they were looking for a storyline for Daniel -- not that there is any need for it, IMO, the character should have been written off -- they could have brought back Brian, his real father, or something. Imagine Phyllis using him to make Nick jealous. At least we would have seen her with someone who's not inside the quad.

And count me in as someone who is hating JM's performances as of late. Okay, the guy has been given quite a difficul role. He has to play the macho, and he has to play a guy who's in love with two women. But, gosh, does he look dumber than dumb when he stares at Phyllis like that?

And, please, enough with the chipmunk crap. I appreciate that Kevin did not overcome his problems overnight, but enough with it. I also can't buy Kevin and Jana as a married couple. As partners, okay. But as an actual couple, it's kind of a stretch.

[sorry for the rant. Now that I think of it, this post sounds like one of those that Amber & Kevin read at the coffehouse :D]

• Members

It involves art so I'd say MAB. She is determined to give culture to her audience. It is so ridiculous and out of nowhere.

It also reminds me of the money that Kevin, Daniel and Amber had a while back and the dead guy, Plum. How was that resolved? I gave up after awhile. Where is that money now?

• Members

So, I still think he is playing intentionally understated...a man locked in his conflicted emotions.

But, if you want to assume he is "lazy", think about it: He has an extra-long contract, he gets more than 50% of the SOD covers, he is shut out of the Emmys (even during the Cassie and NickVanWinkle years). Why bother. Whatever he is doing is working on at least three levels. AND, critically speaking, many SON-ners may hate him, but others see him as understated and impressive in restraint.

• Members

I'm not one who hates him and I think one should be careful in understanding the difference between the critical line of critiquing and hating. I like watching JM I think he's doing ok, he potrays one of my favorite characters and I wouldn't want to see anyone else in the role. With that said a critical moment in watching these four actors for me is in NOTICING what is being brought out of them. In the beginning of the story I bought JM playing just "understated" but as all the other players played the right beats to each individual character in becoming undone, I found/find it wierd that Nick did not. I don't find that Nick has that tough of a shell, sorry.

• Members

He's doing ok, I don't think the emotion he can give the story is as vested as the others that's all. Subtle or not, macho or not, tough shell or not I don't buy Nick (through the performance) is as affected by these two women's breakdowns as Nick should be. The writing to me clearly intends that, Josh is playing it to a certain extent I don't know maybe I'm giving the actor too much credit and he has truly reached his limit but I'm just saying what I get from it. There are scenes from this year with Josh that I watched and was pleased with what I saw but there are scenes Nick should have been more of a presence in that I couldn't help but wonder "where is Nick here" JMO no bashing, I like the guy in the role I'm just observing

• Members

I mean, we know he is capable of more. I just watched the Cassie death scenes a few days ago.

So what I don't know is whether he's simply not doing the work to get himself to a deeper place ("lazy") or whether this is an intentional acting choice. We know he is capable of better (so it is not like he has reached the limits of his skills).

There are some huge differences between this and Cassie's death. First, of course, death-of-child (especially one you've watched growing for a decade) is easier to summon emotions for. Second, Ed Scott was there back then. Maybe he could pull more out of Morrow back then than Rauch and the current directors can.

• Members

IMO, Cassie's death and anytime it is mentioned is the only time that Josh Morrow has acted or emoted. He is a father so it was probably easy for him to feel that pain thinking about losing one of his own children. Otherwise he doesn't do much, but stand around looking pretty which is all good.

• Members

Ok so it's not just me. For me this wouldn't be such a standout observation if I hadn't seen him do better. To an extent it can be intentional but few pivotal opportunities are bing missed in making certain choices thatwill connect for the character and the audience better. When Phyllis practically ran out hysterically crying over/not over "the babysitter's illness" what was that expression on Nick's face was it pity over what he's reducing this woman who loves him to? was it grief that the inevitable end to this chapter of his life is upon him? was it regret? What was it? All I saw was confusion to some degree and blandness. Scenes like these he has to find his character's place even when not speaking at those moments

• Members

We are seeing the same thing.

But, here is what I'm thinking (and I know I'm probably giving too much credit). I think he's trapped. There is nothing he can do that won't cause pain. Also, for each woman, he has a joy (especially now, for Sharon, knowing he might reconnect with her)...but a matched sadness. Because he knows it won't be the same with Sharon. And he knows what he is squandering with Phyllis.

What we're seeing in his face and body is the paralysis that emerges from a zero sum. Happiness gets cancelled out by sadness, hope gets cancelled out by fear. All these dualities are very interior...so what we see on the outside is the paralysis of the mixed emotions. He doesn't react in a decisive way because he's torn...the absence of reaction belies the war within. No one emotion dominates.

Inside, he's a raging mess. I wish the writing would support our seeing that. There are several ways they could do that...a dream...even a hokey "angel vs. devil" battle of his two selves, at war with one another.

I will admit that he could play this better with his eyes, with a hunched body posture, with little things like reaching to comfort Phyllis and then drawing back.

But Nick and Morrow are NOT THAT GUY. They don't do non-verbals. They're straight up, what you see is what you get. So, Morrow doesn't show us "acting process", because he sort of eschews that kind of technique.

Then again...he could just be a block of wood.

Archived