Y&R: Week of June 1, 2009

• Members

Well Jill taking on Victor I see as in character, I have no idea what purpose her teaming up with Glo and Jeff serves her. I don't see Jill as the "David" taking on Goliath but if in saying that you are expressing she is fearless then we agree there. What I can see is Jill targetting Victor but teaming up with Glo and Jeff just to do it doesn't seem in line with the character even if she plans to screw them in the end. That angle imo is for plot purposes

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, Jill/Gloria/Jeffrey are a way to incorporate Gloria and Jeffrey into a storyline. They're useless. Maybe if we saw Jill scheming, this would be more interesting and in-tune with how cunning Jill is. Jill and Gloria don't even work as enemies because Gloria is so out of her league. There needs to be a balance. Although I loved the line where Jill implores Gloria to check out the page to shop for age-appropriate clothing. Nice.

I do appreciate how, unlike many other stories on canvas, the essence of this one has been drawn from the history and habits of (most of) the characters. Gloria, Jill, and Jeffrey lost their money in an off-shore bank in which Victor, the main investor, withdraws all of his funds. Gloria and Jeffrey are greedy and would do anything to get their money back: there's that motivation. Jill hates how Victor helped K reclaim her life and refused her for Neil's position. Motivation. (Although, where's that story going? I'd like to see that. It's too bad that storyline has been dropped. Boy, do TPTB have tunnel vision or what?)

And it's odd how Gloria and Jeffrey, lame as they are, are written with a dose of humanity. They're two of the only people around who decide to do something and stick with it no matter the cost. It's a shame this high-quality trait for any soap character is being lost on these two useless characters.

And I don't think these two are any funnier than when Victor utters, "Get the hell out of my house!" Cue laugh-track people!

• Members

See, that's the point. Jill is not stupid. She knows she can't possibly do this alone.

So, we have a "federation of thieves" or a "conspiracy of dunces". "Strange bedfellows". I think it is also meant as a humorous diversion

I find it unlikely they'll succeed. No one ever bests TGVN. My only hope is this: With the grifter trio attacking the eastern flank, MJ attacking the north, Adam attacking the south and the west...maybe FINALLY TGVN will stumble because he is so rampantly under attack?

It also shows the power of the Victor character. He incites strong reactions. Victor, all by himself, is the "umbrella" that wraps up most of the major stories on canvas right now.

You got that right! Have a nice day! Don't you ever do this again! I'll be home soon, my darling.

I agree she wouldn't team up with Jeff-Glo. Except, she's been kind of bound to them for months now. I think at some level they are a fun diversion from the drama of her homelife these days. And honestly, no one would be stupid enough to try to take down TGVN without a plan and some backup.

• Members

I still chuckle when I watch the scene a few months back where he demands that Victoria grow up because he'd never get back with Nikki, then, when he opens the door for Nikki, he doesn't even speak to her and tells Victoria, "You deal with your mother."

Hysterical!

MAB does not need comic relief from Gloria and Jeffrey. Puhlease.

• Members

I meant to add: I was glad Mary Williams was mentioned on the Tuesday US show ... apparently she's involved enough in Paul's life to know he is living in sin...but not enough to know he is engaged.

It doesn't sound like Paul and Nikki are dropping by for a weekly spareribs and sauerkraut. Moreover, with Todd's fly-in and fly-out, it doesn't really sound like he'll be visiting with Mary. Which is implausible (IMO) if she is still living in Genoa City.

All of this leads me to wonder if (unaddressed) Mary is now living in Washington DC (or wherever) with her other son Steve. They really need to address the whereabouts of Mary for the long-term viewers who care. A sentence will do!

• Members

You see, this is where liking or really caring for the couple comes into play. Nick more than cares for Phyllis. At least, last week he did. There is more to Nick's drive than finding out that Sharon still loves him. It's finding out that Sharon still loves him despite what he did to her. It's the "what he did to her" , IMO, that outweighs his love for either woman. Nick has slowly been written to have his past actions begin to weigh on him. Starting from when he got his memory back, the show was planning this storyline. (Producers went looking for an apartment in Paris for Sharon and Nick to reconnect before scrapping the Shick sex in exchange for a Shick kiss) The Cassie factor in Paris built to Noah's accident (along with Phyllis misbehaving) which built to both cabin romps that were based on what they used to have. Nick feels responsible for destroying their family. He as much as told Phyllis this on Cassie's death day. Sure, he will always love Sharon but this is about more than him just finding out that his first love still loves him. I don't think that was the part of Sharon's letter that stunned him. He seemed shocked that she wanted another chance. It was this revelation that brought his not so deep seeded guilt to the surface. Sharon wanting another chance started the wheels turning, rather deeply at first, that he might be able to fix things. Now, with Sharon being pregnant, Nick sees it as a sign of what he needs to do. Telling Noah, at Cassie's grave, that everything was going to be alright for their messed up family now, shed light on his true motivation going forward.

Make no mistake, this is not just about Nick. It's about Nick,his beloved Cassie, and righting the wrong he made to Sharon. He caused her downfall, he ruined her life, and now he's going to rescue. Plus Phyllis said he had to give her up in order for the marriage to continue. As we've seen over the past few months, ain't now way he's doing that. He has a wrong to right with the woman he will always love. Loving Phyllis, is not going to stop him.LOL!

I can't wait for this Mary Jo/Patty story to get going. Stacy is so wonderful in this role, that I fear her brand of evil may cause her to be killed off. But I don't want to see that happen for a long, long time. I want her to cause havoc for everyone in Genoa City because they all deserve it. That's the most delicious part of all of this. They've all got it coming to them.

• Members

If Victor is so incensed by so many unwelcome guests dropping by,may I suggest that he hire better security.

You just give the people at the gate a list of who's welcome or not.If unsure,they phone through and check.

You got that Victor?Now you have a nice day!

• Members

Or he can look at it from this angle lol. What-ever gets the full effect transitioned from the screen. The point is there are subtle aactions/reactions to make the character more understandable in a scene.

P.S. I think one can argue if guilt can ever be greater than the love one has for a true great love but I love youyr assessment

• Members

Just when I wish Y&R would tell Eric Braeden to sit his ass DOWN and take one for the team, Y&R pulls out yesterday's episode where we had the 'Tache barking in fabulous fashion at Gloria & Jeffrey... and Jill (though I hate to see Jill slinking away like a kicked puppy from Victor's presence)... and some lowly GCAC desk clerk... and Nikki... and MJ. Gloria got SCHOOLED. And it was so good to watch!

I feel so bad for MJ, though. Victor plucked her from her life, remade her face, set her on the Jack revenge track, left her isolated, shaky and vulnerable -- and now that it's not working out his way, he wants to dump her, alone, in Europe somewhere. The way she hugged him... and when she saw Paul and his brother dining together... I felt so bad for her! MJ and Adam. I always seem to fall for the crazies.

• Members

I LOVE this post! Yes! Nick's motivation with Sharon is almost like "Catholic guilt". He has blamed himself for the whole sequence of events, starting with letting Cassie go out that night (and arguing for it). This is about making amends...and as many of us know...guilt can over-ride emotion and heart. He's not listening to his heart right now, he's listening to his guilt.

That's why I can accept his performance as authentic right now. He's literally LOCKED in a world of pain -- afraid to react too much to anything for fear of unleashing more crap.

I have admitted previously that I'm a sucker for tears. And Patty Jane's definitely did it for me yesterday. We really got to see how utterly used and abandoned she has been by Victor. The sympathy is fully with her now.

I am shocked Braeden is letting himself play this vile. Does he know what's happening? Or does he think his Victor will not stumble or fall even though he is under attack from three flanks (Mary Jane, Adam, and the three stooges)?

Yeah, but what makes the "schooling" more interesting is that it was DELIBERATELY PROVOKED. Victor has now become SO predictable that Jill/Gloria/Jeffrey knew exactly what buttons to push to get the predictable reaction. That means Victor is VERY VERY vulnerable. When he becomes this predictable, he's lost the element of surprise and he's off his game.

He maaaaaaaaaay suspect Adam...but he can't suspect him too strongly, or he'd be shielding Ashley better. He seems oblivious to the Three Stooges' "divided we conquer" strategy. And he seems to think that Patty Jane is not a threat. Plus, we have reason to believe he'll soon be rendered even more vulnerable.

Could this finally be the summer where Victor is laid low? And where we begin to see the character built up from the bottom again?

I'm starting to dig that Neil is no longer at Newman. With Victoria and Nick basically incompetent (and Nick distracted), Victor is rendered largely defenseless against any serious business threat.

You're not the only one. Adam's rooting value is in serious risk (both because of what may soon happen, and because of the actor switch), but Mary Jane OWNED the audience yesterday. Recounting all that Victor had done to her life -- and SEEING Victor not give the remotest sh!t -- well, he's going to get what's coming to him.

Adam and Patty Jane have common objectives: Destroy both Adam and Victor. I really wonder if there might be some synergy there, down the road.

• Members

So now Nick is leaving Phyllis for Sharon because he feels guilty? Talk about spin. Guilt would mean that Nick has a conscience that is deeper than a kiddie pool. Nick is a 2 year old who wants what he wants when he wants it. Whatever it takes to get you through the Phyllis/Nick break up, I guess.

• Members

Actually, JM offered that reason (guilt) in his interview with Michael Fairman. So that seems to be the beat the actor is playing. Apparently, it's not "reading well" on screen for you. :lol:

Archived