Y&R: Week of June 1, 2009

• Members

I'm pretty sure Melody would take a decent pay cut. Who wouldn't? I can see Y&R asking for her to take 40-70% paycut and that is just too much. Like Alvin said, why not get rid some of the writers? She can also get rid of some of the characters that are not needed. Let's start off with Tyra! Melody is too precious and talented to be gone from Y&R. I cannot imagine Y&R without her. I could care less about other soaps and their actors. This is a Bell soap, right? I thought the Bells were filthy rich?! What did they do with all the money? Shoved it up their asses? :rolleyes: Also, I don't care if this is Paul Raunch or whatever his name is idea. Maria is a Bell and she can obviously fix things. Unlike some actors on the show, Melody is not a kiss ass. I wouldn't be surprise if I hear Bell is feuding with Scott.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think they probably see most of the women (with the exception of Jeanne Cooper) as interchangeable. They probably think they have Ashley back, so who needs Nikki. If they ever faced the possibility of losing Josh Morrow, or Eric Braeden, I can't see their reaction being similar to how they are with MTS.

They may also know a large part of the fan reaction to MTS may be, "She's lucky to have a job, what does she expect," because of today's economy. So this regime can write out a character they've never been very interested in, and not have to face any strong criticism from fans.

Even if MTS does stay I'll be surprised if she gets any story beyond walking three steps behind Victor. I don't think they want to explore Nikki as a character.

• Members

Not to fight...because I don't want to...but this is really more about Sony and the beancounters. The peripheral characters we hate (or don't) that are consuming the canvas are almost certainly cheaper.

Damn, the disease that killed daytime had to come to Y&R. I know that. But damn.

• Members

Cutting is universal. MTS lives with ES, who was on the business side at Days. So, she knows reality.

It sounds like it is the disrespect...the take it or leave it...the backburnering...that would make her want to walk. If she doesn't need the cash, why not just walk?

But DaytimeFan told us over and over and over this is not MAB, not even Rauch...this is Sony and (to a lesser extent) Bell Productions.

• Members

Again, MAB could write a host of characters to make room for Nikki/Melody.

Nikki has been backburner for all of this year, that is not Sony's fault, that is MAB's. MAB obviously doesn't see much use in Nikki nor does she have anything enjoyment in writing any substancial for the character.

Blame Sony all you want, but MAB has power here too...

• Members

Me 2! The difference with JW and MTS is that Mel's got money galore - her husband is Ed Scott, ya know. if she wants to leave out of pride she can afford to. I love MTS and wantt her to stay forever. Y&R is just not Y&R without Victor and Nikki. that said, there has to be a bridging of the gap somewhere, somehow between economics and show-quality.

• Members

Nikki is a special case. I could even see JW go -- though I would hate it. But MTS is the only person who can play Nikki. It's not about the performance, it about MTS' personality. She exudes DIVA. Outside of La Lucci, who else can compare to MTS in the glam department?

The thing is, what makes MTS special on-screen is who she is as person. She's obviously someone who will not be disrespected and that self-possession is why we love her so.

There's a fine but real difference between charisma & acting talent. Very very few actors in daytime in general or Y&R in particular have true charisma. Even when they're still, you notice them. Most of the actors in daytime have some competency or even mastery of craft. But they're character actors, even if they have leading looks. No one thinks Tom Cruise is a better actor than John C Reilly but there's a reason why TC became a huge story (even though he crazy) and JCR will never be at that level (even though he'll win more Oscars.) MTS is daytime's Julia Roberts. She can basically only play one role -- herself -- but she does it so well you can't keep your eyes off of her.

• Members

Honestly the writing staff and cast of characters are good points but otherwise if MTS is not budging that's just a shame. The current climate of tv broadcast and even worse daytime is reflection that there are going to be cuts.I know they are twisting their fingers of even the thought of approaching EB

• Members

Again, I love how no one ever criticizes MAB's HORRIBLE management skills. Why does she need TWO Co-HW's that take a pretty hefty salary each? Why does she need ALL of those writers on her writing team? Y&R has the biggest writing staff in daytime, things shouldn't be that way. Also, I've already gone on and on about how huge this cast is and how some non-essential characters need to be cut.

Archived