Y&R: Week of June 1, 2009

• Members

So, I have been raked over the coals for my Fisher-Baldwin (esp. Gloria) love.

But that's my point. There is a LOT of haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate, in this order: Gloria, Jeff, Eden, Kevin, Jana, Michael

You know these people are ROUNDLY disliked by a LOT of people. I mean, if we started a thread called "Beating of the Drums: Drop the Fisher-Baldwins", most of SON would co-sign.

So, I think maybe there is a recognition that this clan needs to be "rested"...and this backburnering is a way of doing it without firing the clan. If that is the thought, then I can be grateful they haven't all been dumped.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mark, this is just one site. I enjoy it and the posters are interesting, but I don't think the majority of fans want to see Michael and Lauren used this way. Gloria? Yes, she should be backburned as she was played heavily under LML and even MAB last year. And MAB is still using Gloria and Jeffrey for comic relief with Jill. Eden? Who cares.

Kevin and Jana are still getting significant story and rolled right from the Kevin saving Katherine story to the Kevin vs chipmunk story right into this Daniel art story and Kevin dealing with people who resent him getting off for his crimes story. Kevin and Amber are friends of Katherine so they are getting plenty of story.

Michael and Lauren have been "rested" for quite some time. They were backburned for much of the first half of 2008, and weren't ever really used heavily except for a couple weeks when the River story started and then finished in December. Rarely did Michael have more than 10 appearances a month even when he had story. How much rest do they need?

• Members

When they make room, they also need to get rid of some people. This contrct cast is way too big. Tyra, Ana, and few others haver been epic fails that need to be dealth with. Even if some people might be fan favourites, they need to cut some actors and characters, which they'll probably be doing soon enough anyway for budget reasons. Newbies don't cost as much as veteran players, so who knows...

• Members

I feel bad for Tracey too. I think MAB should at least let her know how and if they plan on using her in the future. I know they don't have to, but after over 25 years working on Bell shows, one would think Tracey would deserve some courtesy and the writers could let her know where she stands with the show.

• Members

Hmm food for thought indeed. Reading along this post has definitly put me in a place so to speak to understand the possible challenge from JM's perspective.

On another note I fully appreciate the fact that Sharon could have easily came off as the needy, slutty, wife/exwife and she manages to bring depth even those scenes where she is, just that. Sure the actors are similar in many ways but still very much two different actors. But I appreciate an artist who finds how they can add dimensions to what-ever they are expressing. I think Josh is capable but I don't know why it would be harder.

• Members

I believe a new Nielsen survey regarding Y&R will be out later this year, I think Y&R has a Nielsen survey every two years. There was one in 2005, and the last one was towards the end of 2007. Smith was ousted soon after the one in 2005, and Latham was gone a few months after the 2007 survey. MAB better watch out...

• Members

CNN tonight reports on the horrors of Darfur...especially the problem of rape.

I think, having lived through that, OF COURSE Mac would come back dour, depressed, a little hopeless.

I mention this because, while many see CF improvements, I really do believe part of what we were seeing was CF trying to play the truth of where she had come from. I think the show might want to give her a liiiiiiitle more Darfurian backstory...just so that the viewers better understand that the Mac we have been seeing is partly because of story context and character, not actress.

• Members

I seriously doubt that even Mac remembers that she was supposed to be Dafur. We the viewers know that Mac as has always been dour bore so don't need any explanation for her rare smiles and solemn expressions. CFMac is as uninteresting as ABMac.

• Members

So, in Monday's US episode, I notice towards the end they used a really jazzy music cue, it kinda reminded me of something I'd see on Santa Barbara. I quite like it, it was very saxophone driven. They also used the new cue they created for Nick and Sharon, they have a couple of cues it seems.

Most people probably don't pay attention to the background music though. :lol:

Archived