The Beautiful Life: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I seen CB is some odd short film or indie film at a festival a few months back. he had a dramatic role and surprised me. So i wouldnt write him off just yet.

you know what i cant wait for? A weekly dose of Sarah Paxton. Girl is fantastic.

• Members

Hmm...my knowledge of him goes no further than HSM, that movie about jump-roping, and that Lost-like show that aired on Discovery Kids. I'll keep my mind open about him playing an adult, though.

Sarah Paxton...eh, she's aight. She'd be better if she didn't come from a dime a dozen bin. :P

• Members

Carol Barbee inks CBS TV deal

Two-year pact with studio behind her recent pilots

By Nellie Andreeva

It was a dream development season for Carol Barbee. She saw her first pilot, “Three Rivers,” ordered to series at CBS. Another pilot, the CW’s “The Beautiful Life,” which she shepherded, also landed a series order.

Now Barbee is solidifying her ties with the folks behind both series, CBS TV Studios, with a new overall deal.

Under the two-year, seven-figure pact, Barbee will focus her attention on “Rivers,” on which she serves as executive producer/showrunner.

Following her back-to-back showrunner duties on the second season of “Jericho” and CBS midseason drama “Swingtown,” Barbee was left with some time before the start of the 2008 staffing season to work on development.

She was looking to do a medical show when producer Curtis Hanson approached her with the idea of doing a drama set in the world of organ transplants.

“It is a really emotional subject matter,” said Barbee, who knew immediately that she wanted to tell the stories from three points of view — that of the organ donors, the recipients and the surgeons.

Meanwhile, Barbee also was approached by Adam Giaudrone, whose first script she supervised while she ran “Swingtown” and he worked as an assistant to series creator Mike Kelley. Giaudrone had an idea for a show based on his experience as a male model. Barbee helped him shape what became “Beautiful Life,” with Kelley eventually coming on board as showrunner after it became clear both “Rivers” and “Life” would be ordered to pilots.

Barbee and the “Rivers” writing staff convened Monday to began work on the Alex O’Loughlin-starring series, slated to air at 9 p.m. Sundays in the fall.

The new deal with CBS Studios extends a relationship with the Eye that began six years ago when Barbee joined the 20th TV-produced CBS series “Judging Amy.” That’s how she met CBS Studios president David Stapf, who then was CBS’ current exec on “Amy.”

In 2005, Barbee inked her first overall deal with CBS Studios (then Par Network TV).

“CBS is my home,” Barbee said. “I love those people — they’re supportive, collaborative and they’re very low-drama, no-nonsense, just like me.”

A former actress, Barbee got her first writing job on NBC’s “Providence” and also worked on CBS’ “Close to Home.”

She is repped by Endeavor, manager Doug Draizin and attorney Jeanne Newman.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i4722353a16827bf0bfe73a95546051a4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I really liked this show. Sure, the initial plot is a bit cliched but this is a lot more adult than I'd have expected from a CW show. I think teaming it with Top Model is a stupid move, they should have it follow Gossip Girl as it's clearly the same audience (then pair Smallville with One Tree Hill and Supernatural with The Vampire Diaries, but hey, I'm not in scheduling). I don't get why it rated so low, but it's a tough timeslot, I guess.

Mischa put in a great performance, I was expecting her character to be Marissa Cooper 2.0 so it's nice to see her play someone slightly different. Sara Paxton's character was my favourite, though...especially the stuff she pulled with the Versace guy.

All in all it was a nice pilot that shows great potential.

Archived