Is there a time you think your soap deserved to be #1?

• Members

Y&R has pretty much had the #1 spot in the ratings on lock for the past 20 years, so I'm asking is there a time you think your soap deserved to be the most watched out there. Whether it be one storyline or an entire era.

Mine are:

OLTL-Marty's rape/The trial: Everything about this storyline was just so addicting and good. I loved the acting especially from HSB (Nora). The courtroom scenes were the highlight of this storyline, and I can still watch the clips on youtube and be on the edge of my seat.

GL-The early 90's: GL was the best soap out there during this time, and it was honestly this soap's last great era. It had a big diverse cast, and so many interesting SL's, GL deserved to be #1 then.

Share yours :) :) :)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OLTL: The week Marcie held Viki hostage at the Bonjour Cafe was, to me, a masterpiece in soap storytelling. The entire cast was involved, it was all rooted in character and it completed two story arcs for two of the show's most talented actresses. It was extremely suspenseful and also showcased the recast Chris Stack, who delivered a standout performance as Michael. This was the best I've ever seen OLTL and I have yet to see it get there again.

• Members

For me it would be the two that were listed above; GL from 1991-1993 and OLTL during the climax of the Paris storyline.

I'd also add that DAYS during the Cwikly and Brash era too, Zach's death, and just for the week of John's death DAYS deserved to be number one.

• Members

Y&R has pretty much deserved it but there are few times other soaps were more worthy:

GH during Claire Labine's tenure

ATWT during Doug Marland's tenure

OLTL during Malone's first tenure

HM: ATWT during Sheffer's tenure, GL in the early 90s

• Members

I always think the soap I am watching deserves to be #1, lol, that's why I watch it and not another soap.

Four times stand out for me though:

1. GH, Summer of 1996 - Laura finds out about long-lost son Nikolas.

2. AW, January-March 1998 - Lead-up and aftermath to the death of Michael Hudson and Vicky's guilt/secret; Joe and Paulina strained due to her weight loss pill addiction; launch of "Embers in the Snow" Cass/Felicia story; launch of Cass/Lila

3. AMC, September 2001-September 2002 - Exciting Proteus umbrella story; Frankie Stone; David/Anna get together in a delightfully complex relationship with great chemistry; Greenlee chooses Leo and marries him

4. GL, January-April 2009 - Beth/Coop; Coop's death and aftermath (Emmy Emmy Emmy for Justin Deas); Olivia/Natalia story, especially the week of the non-wedding to Frank

• Members

I felt SB should have been number 1 from 1986-1988. Those were some fantastic years- Santana/Cruz/Eden/Kirk, the Elena Capwell storyline, Mason & Julia's first getting together, Kelly, Gina and the Tape, pretty much everything that Justin Deas and Keith Timmins touched- it was simply divine and polished and interesting soap opera. SB was one of the few shows in the 80s that gave its audience some credit for having a brain and had a wicked sense of humor that hasn't been matched by any soap before or since. And in those years, every sundae of a storyline they served up was topped with a ripe sweet cherry. Payoff was a b!tch. :)

Archived