Parenthood: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I'm gonna watch this show for the obvious reason... which is Lauren Graham. (Still watching my Gilmore DVD's. :( ) An additional reason is Peter Krause. Ok, I wouldn't watch a show for him. But it's a plus that he's on, and I like Monica Potter too.

I thought the pilot was really good. It was a nice warm up. Looking forward to next weeks episode.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I really love this show! The last scene of episode 4 was one of my favorite scenes in all of television this year. It wasn't anything big or dramatic, it was a scene where a daughter introduced her boyfriend to her dad ("Daddy, this is Steve"....."Whassup" :lol:). I also loved Kristina's reaction/look when she saw Haddie walking in with her BF - it was like, "my littler girl is growing up" look. Everything about this storyline was so good: Adam/Kristina finding out about Haddie/Steve on facebook ("they're facebook official" :lol:); Kristina's talk with Haddie on the bed; Haddie asking Amber for advice; Adam asking Sarah for advice.

Zeek giving Max "the talk" was another hilarious scene.

This show just keeps getting better and better with episode, we get to see the relationships between everything - like in episode 4, we get some Amber/Sydney scenes, some Crosby/Julia scenes, some Max/Zeek scenes. Everytime I watch this show, it makes me feel good. It's funny, has great family scenes, great relationship scenes, it makes your heart break a little (Max's autism), you get all the emotions of what a family goes though. Jason Katims has another winner here. I've officially put him in my top tier primetime writers who I will always love no matter what.

I believe so.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

So happy about this. It's one of my favorite shows this season.

http://weblogs.variety.com/on_the_air/2010/04/breaking-nbc-picks-up-second-season-of-parenthood.html

Breaking: NBC picks up second season of "Parenthood"

By: Michael Schneider

Published: Tue, April 20, 2010, 11:04 AM

NBC has renewed its new mid-season drama “Parenthood” (Tuesdays, 10-11 p.m. ET) for the 2010-11 season. The announcement was made today by Angela Bromstad, President, Primetime Entertainment, NBC and Universal Media Studios.

"We are so happy to welcome back this multi-layered and compelling series about an extended American family for another season,” said Bromstad. "It's gratifying that 'Parenthood' continues to garner critical acclaim and is generating highly positive reaction from viewers, thanks to the fearless creativity of its producers and the extraordinary performances delivered by its ensemble cast."

"Parenthood" has averaged a 3.2 rating 9 share in adults 18-49 and 7.8 million viewers overall since its March 2 premiere in the Tuesday (10-11 p.m. ET) slot, according to "most current" data from Nielsen Media Research. "Parenthood" ranks #1 in the time period in adults 18-49 versus regular competition and was the first regular in the slot this season to out-rate an original of CBS's "The Good Wife" in adults 18-49.

“Parenthood” is a one-hour drama inspired by the box-office comedy hit of the same name that premiered Tuesday, March 2 (10-11 p.m. ET). The re-imagined and updated production introduces audiences to the large and colorful yet imperfect Braverman family, and features an all-star cast that includes Lauren Graham, Peter Krause, Monica Potter, Craig T. Nelson, Bonnie Bedelia, Erika Christensen, Dax Shepard, Joy Bryant, Sam Jaeger, Sarah Ramos, Mae Whitman, Miles Heizer, Savannah Rae and Max Burkholder.

Serving as executive producers are Oscar winners Ron Howard and Brian Grazer (“A Beautiful Mind,” “Frost/Nixon”), Peabody Award winner Jason Katims ("Friday Night Lights") and David Nevins (“Friday Night Lights,” “Arrested Development”).

"Parenthood" is from Imagine Television and Universal Media Studios.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members

Is this the most underrated show on air?

Even though the premise has 'me' written all over it, I watched the pilot a couple of times and couldn't get into it. I think it was a combination of things including the fact that it's on NBC which isn't exactly a badge of honour these days.

So this week I was procrastinating over work and decided to give it another shot and I cannot believe how good it is! It's everything that Brothers and Sisters tried to become but failed when it went into complete meltdown and got stuck up its own arse after the first season.

I can't put my finger on what works so well because it's a mass of contradictions. It's incredibly fast moving but also so slow paced that I feel there is so much more I've yet to get to know about the characters. The cast is big but everybody gets serviced effectively. Characters have their own stories but everything ties into the family in a natural way, not with artificial contrived writing like Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters used to try to sew together disjointed stories.

I've just finished the first season in the space of a week and the story with Amber sleeping with Haddie's boyfriend is fantastic. So morally ambiguous, refreshingly underwritten and with real ripple effects across the family.

Absolutely love it and I'm so glad I'm far behind enough that I've got lots to catch up on.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Question for anyone who watches this show.

I've seen a couple of episodes and some partials and cannot put my finger on the technique they use. I don't know whether it's the way it's filmed or the direction but I am convinced that there must be some term for it. It kind of comes across to me as if they filmed a rehearsal of the scenes because there is this raw quality to it which makes the scenes appear more realistic.

If this makes any sense at all, does anyone know what it's called?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Well, Julia's such a pain in the ass. I've really only started to watch this season, but her struggles with dealing with Victor's anger really resonate. There was that moment at the end of yesterday's episode where Julia admits she's having second thoughts about going through with the adoption, and it was so well-acted by Erika Christensen. I think she's been the revelation so far for me, even more than Monica Potter.

And Joel is wub.png

• Administrator

I'm watching and still loving the show. In addition to Julia/Joel and I think Adam/Kristina are a great couple too (last week's episode was a good episode for them). Yeah, this Julia/Joel/Victor storyline is really good - how about that bat throwing scene last week Wow. And now this week with Julia doubting about the adoption.

I'm interested to see how Max deals with puberty and liking girls and hopefully the show gets renewed so we can see Max deal with his first girlfriend. I've always wanted to see storyline with a young a person with Aspergers in their teens years - I so want this storyline for Theo, who is autistic, on DAYS.....and of course I want this love interest to be Ciara. LOL Oh that scene with Max telling his grandparents that he now has public hair, and the talk about ejaculation was hilarious. laugh.png

Poor Drew. :( I really don't like Amy. First she cheats on Drew, then she takes 2 seconds to think about getting an abortion when Drew wanted her to take some more time to think about it.....then she tells Drew she wants a break.

Archived