Another World

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

In January 1988, NBC Daytime created a Where's Betty contest where fans had to guess how many times Betty White popped up on ANOTHER WORLD, DAYS OF OUR LIVES and SANTA BARBARA over the course of a week. The winner was to receive a trip for two to Hawaii and $1,000 cash.

Here Betty's appearance on ANOTHER WORLD as "Brenda Barlowe" who calls Douglass Watson's Mac Cory

• Members

I can recognize Steve in the illustration, assumed it must be Alice kissing him, and eventually figured out that in the foreground Ada must be standing over the supine Rachel. I presume the couple on the right would be Jim and Mary Matthews, but am less certain who the other characters would be. Lenore and Robert maybe? Or Pat and ???

• Members

As indicated by my thread about soap caricatures,  I have an affinity for that form of mid century advertisement.  

I also id'ed Steve and Alice kissing, with Rachel on the floor attended to by Ada in leopard pedal pushers, then Lenore at the top of the stairs.

But, I cannot figure out the couple on the stairs (maybe John & Olive Randolph?), or the guy on the sofa, holding something (Vic Hastings or Walter Curtain holding either a murder weapon or a remote control?)

Perhaps, someone can recall the plots surrounding the hour expansion and that would solve this mystery.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Good article.  Expanding to an hour was good for spending more time in Bay City and Harding Lemay pulled it off by good writing of expanded dialogue.  However I think the hour long soaps eventually became a detriment to the genre with added characters and wasted time that took away from the original focus and core families (Matthews, Bauers, Hughes)

• Members

The characters are: Vic Hastings, Lenore Curtain, Jim and Mary Matthews, Steve and Alice Frame, Rachel Clark, and Ada McGowan.  

I was watching at the time, but I have no idea why Rachel is laying on the floor and Ada appears to be praying for her. I don't recall Rachel being ill or anything during this period.  I also do not recognize what object Vic Hastings is holding.  It appears to be a TV remote or maybe a camera.   Vic was on AW for a couple of years.  He worked for Steve at Frame Enterprises.  And I believe he ran the company while Steve was in prison.  If my memory is correct, he dated Janice Frame and Lenore Curtain, and I believe he had a severe crush on Alice Frame.