Another World

• Members

Actually, the adoption story was never mentioned as any part of the reason Courtney was fired. She (rightfully) opined that Alice becoming romantically involved with Willis was illogical given their history. Courtney did begin the adoption story, which was later continued with Harney. At one point, JC's Alice signed paperwork to get Sally, while remarking that she couldn't bear to lose the child too, after the other recent tragedy in her life. Courtney and Cathy Greene (Sally) worked together long enough  for JC to acknowledge in the press: "I really loved that child as my own!"

The whole story did seem to peter out and end abruptly. I always thought that one of the main problems was that Jacqueline Brookes came across as so weak, bland and wishy-washy as Beatrice, and that long-time viewers were not warming up to Harney's version of Alice.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You are absolutely correct about this.   It was the Alice/Willis romance plot that Courtney didn't like (and supposedly the final reason she was fired), but Courtney did not refuse the play the storyline, she just complained about it.  Oddly -- despite that plot supposedly being the reason she was fired, Lemay delayed the romance and it did not play out until nearly 3-years after Courtney left the show. 

And guess what -- Courtney was right!  The Alice/Willis romance (played by Harney and Russom) was awful and ended nearly as quickly as it began.   

• Members

Yes, I thought the Sally adoption storyline was quite good, and kept Rachel in Alice's orbit for another year or so after Steve's death.  Lemay's writing was never heavy on storylines (plots) for anyone.  But he did a very good job of giving Alice lots of airtime during Harney's time at AW.  After Courtney left, Vicki Wyndham clearly became the young romantic lead (which had been Courtney for 7 or 8 years), but Lemay kept Alice extremely important to the show.  And in my opinion, Harney's Alice was simply moved to number two, when Wyndham moved up to number one.   One thing Lemay failed miserably at was giving Alice a new romance.  Her first love interest after Steve's death was the boring loser, Ray Gordon.  Next was another loser (if not boring), Willis Frame.  And finally, Dan Shearer, who was not a loser, but certainly a boring love interest for the late-1970s.  Lemay should have created a dynamic charismatic new character as Alice's new permanent love interest.   But NOT another millionaire businessman like Steve and Mac.  Perhaps a very successful doctor or lawyer, and perhaps played by a well known soap opera leading man stolen from another show.  The lack of a dynamic post-Steve romance for Alice was Lemay's huge failing for the characters, and probably led to her leaving the show after Harney's first replacement was unsuccessful.   

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

Well, Lemay also said he thought Harney was a far superior actress to Courtney (give me a break!! LOL), so there's that.  Plus, I think he did try romances with Harney -- three of them.  But he just kept putting her with dull men.    Lemay simply failed in that regard.

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

The first actor Lemay paired with Susan Harney was Ted Shackelford, the original Ray Gordon. Considering how well Shackelford did on Knots Landing and how long he played a leading man on that show, I believe that Lemay simply did not know how to write for him. In general, Lemay did not know how to write the kind of long romantic story that is one of the staples of soap opera. His stories, like Mac and Rachel, were about immediate attraction and quick marriage, then problems afterward.

• Members

I respectfully disagree.  I've always believed the long tortured romance was one of the things Lemay did better than almost anybody.  He wrote arguably the best years of the Steve and Alice love story, created the Mac and Rachel romance which continued until Doug Watson's death, and don't forget about Robert and Lenore, who were nearly as popular as Steve/Alice until Susan Sullivan left the show.  I do agree Lemay tried a lot of love stories, and gave up on them -- Willis/Angie, Russ/Gwen, Russ/Elena, Alice's romances after Steve, etc.   But much of that tendency came from Lemay's over dependance upon "chemistry" between actors.  He'd watch a couple of episodes featuring a new couple, and if he didn't sense chemistry, he would immediately break-up the couple and move on.  But when he did see chemistry, he definitely knew how to write long romances that practically defined AW during his time at the show.   Just my opinion.   

• Members

Unfortunately, the writing was weak (Lemay's material started to deteriorate around 1975) and Susan Harney just did not have chemistry with anyone. It was a stark contrast to Courtney, who had had such magnetic chemistry with George Reinholt, and who exuded an indefinable "star appeal," which even Harding Lemay later acknowledged. It was similar to when Bennye Gatteys replaced Denise Alexander on Days of Our Lives. Harney and Gatteys were okay on their own, but paled in comparison to Courtney and Alexander, and the fans never really warmed up to the replacements as they had the original actresses.