Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

What are your thoughts on the following?:  

Had Vicky Wyndham left the role of Rachel anytime after 1980, do you think Robin Strasser could have successfully stepped back into the role???   Why or why not?    

And do you think TPTB at AW would have considered re-hiring Strasser as Rachel anytime after 1980??  Why or why not?   

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

Very unlikely.  RS typically plays roles as like an Iris type.  VW Rachel was a completely different Rachel.  

Very stupid storyline with Mac and Sylvie being ex lovers.  Harding Lemay was the one who recouped this storyline so maybe it really was something he planned out in the late 70's when Iris learned she was adopted but very unlikely.  

• Members

I always said and even thought when in real time when Mac died that Rachel and Russ should get back together since he was back in BC but I think DB only had a six month contract with AW and his only reason the show bought him back was the 25th anniversary.  The intent was not to keep the character around and if he and Rachel really did get back together then I am not sure what storyline would that mean for Rachel.  When they marry people on soaps some sorrdid live details come out and Russ already lived through this with Rachel.  I would have loved to seen Alice come back and a ghost following her and it turns out that Sally is alive.  The typical stupid crazy soap stuff.  LOL

• Members

I have not seen enough of Robin Strasser to really know, but my impression is that if they had cast her as Rachel it would probably have ultimately broken up Mac and Rachel which would either have completely obliterated Mac or pushed him into other relationships until Doug Watson's death. I would also guess that Robin Strasser's Rachel would have filled some of the same space as Donna, so depending on timing either they would not have created Donna in the form she took or they would not have wanted to take Rachel in that direction with Donna already on the canvas. Also I would guess that they would have dropped Rachel's sculpting career and put her into more business-related storylines.

Would Robin's Rachel have had an affair with Sandy in 1982? Left Mac for Mitch in 1986?

Only imagine if they had recast *Iris* with Robin Strasser in 1983.

• Members

Because we have been talking about Robin Strasser, I started reading Llanview in the Afternoon (which is pretty interesting even though I never watched OLTL). In it, Timothy Stickney made a comment that really surprised me: "I knew every black character on daytime had to sing at some point" because although I can think of a couple of AW characters who had (or wanted) singing careers (Leo Mars, Lily Mason) I can't remember any tendency for Quinn or Roy or whoever to sing. Did the Burrell family sing? 

Edited by Xanthe
Added link

• Members

Don't forget about Darlene Love as Judy. 

Based on Stickney's description, it might not even be a performance in the story, just the kind of singing a person might do going about one's day. I can think of the odd time characters sang Xmas carols, or Adam singing to himself getting ready for a date with MJ.