Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think the only type of story that Harding Lemay wasn't capable of writing was a YOUNG love story.  Lemay himself once said that he found it difficult to write for younger actors, because they didn't have the life experience that their older colleagues had to draw on (although, he did cite Ray Liotta (ex-Joey) as a notable exception).

• Members

Most of the time, Lemay didn't even try to write plots.  He wrote wonderful characters and put them in conflicts and situations, but seldom were there really identifiable plots/storylines -- at least not in the typical soap opera fashion.   I remember being completely hooked on AW for all of Lemay's run as head-writer.  But I often complained, "Nothing ever happens on this show!"  What I didn't realize at the time was, I had fallen in love with the characters. They were almost like real people, experiencing believable problems.  Lemay's Another World was so plotless, it could almost be considered an experimental soap opera.  The show during that era is hard for me to describe in a way someone who hasn't seen it would understand.   But seriously, characters just ran into one another and talked. Worked together and talked. Visited one another's homes and talked. Scene after scene after scene.  The plots were nearly all extremely weak and at times almost non-existant.  

• Members

Lemay could write characters having realistic conversations while the plot always seemed to organically happen like real life.  Conversations flowed naturally and realistically 

Contrast that with Marland, who could balance and juggle plots like no one else...but man the dialogue and conversations were stilted,unrealistic and way too wordy.

All writers have their strengths.  Didn't have Lemay also say he wasn't strong with writing mysteries?

• Members

In contrast Marland said he enjoyed writing 'Young Love' stories because that very lack of life experience would lead them to make less wise, but forgiveable choices. 

Also, that kept the plot bubbling along.

Older viewers would tut, tut and muse on the folly of youth while younger viewers would eat it up.

• Members

I know the wedding material had been around, in lower quality, but I hadn't seen the apartment scenes before. That's a period I've read a great deal about but always wanted to see more of - Lee, isolated in the city, meeting new people. Agnes Nixon testing the formula she would make a success on OLTL and AMC. Lahoma was such a revolutionary character for soaps. I'm really glad to get to see more of her early days with Sam, another character who was not the usual type for soaps at this time. 

Lee is such a tragic character. I can see the seeds of Janice Hughes in her.