• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

June 1965

Actress Hasnt Changed, Remains Typical Teenager
Jacqueline Courtney may play one of the featured roles on a top-rated daytime television show with considerable assurance and aplomb, but off-camera she has all the same typical reactions to the problems, frustrations, and hopes as any average American teenager. Jackie, 18, who regularly appears in the role of Alice Matthews on Another World" (weekdays at 3:00 p.m.) has a nightly curfew, hates vegetables, wants her own telephone, wishes she'd be permitted free use of her new sportscar, and just loves" rock-'n-roll music.

The blonde, blue-eyed actress who entered showbusiness at the age of four, is under strict instructions from her mother to be home by 12:30 a.m. and that includes Saturday nights. And just to be sure that Jackie keeps to this schedule, her mother has not given Jackie a key to the house. But Jackie is not at all bitter about the restrictions placed upon her at home. As she puts it: I know my parents only want what is best for me, but what they cant understand as most parents cannot is that their little baby has grown up.

PLEA FOR PHONE
Like some teenagers, Jackie hates all varieties of vegetables and milk. As for the telephone a staple commodity and necessity of life" to any teenager Jackie has a problem. Although she has her own room, she has been unsuccessful in her arguments for a private phone. She confides that she has even enlisted the services of Doris Quinlan, producer of Another World," to help convince her mother that a phone is needed, but to no avail. Jackie's the proud owner of a brand new, white sportscar, but is prohibited from driving further than her own neighborhood in East Orange, N.J. For me, that's a tough situation," she says, because I love to really move in a car, and that's hard to do when you can only drive in a radius of a few blocks."

DIGS BRITISH SOUND
When it comes to music, Jackie is just nuts" about the Beatles, and has all their records at home. One of her greatest ambitions is to meet Paul McCartney of the group. She also likes the Dave Clark Five and Herman's Hermits. Jackie has a boyfriend who lives in nearby South Orange, but shes quick to add that hes not at all impressed" by her featured role on Another World. Although she doesn't contemplate marriage within the next five years, Jackie says that when she does take the plunge, shell quit showbusiness. As the saying goes," she points out, a woman's place is at home not in a TV studio."

TOUGH SCHEDULE
Although shes in many ways similar to the average teenager, Jackie's life has one big difference. As a featured actress on Another  World," she must work a ten-hour day beginning with rehearsal at 10:30 in the morning, and ending with rehearsal for the next days show at 6:30 p.m. On top of that, Jackie spends two nights a week working for a degree in psychology at Upsala College. In the few extra moments of spare time she can find, Jackie loves to ride horseback and go out dancing. Shes also an avid football and basketball fan.
Jackies professional career dates back to 1951, when she appeared on The Story Hour" over WAAT in Newark. She recalls that in her stage debut she appeared as the Good Ship Lolly-pop, singing and dancing in a candy-cane costume. She also recalls that at the time she was literally covered with curls I hated them, but my mom felt I should look like Shirley Temple, and look like Shirley Temple I did until I got to the fifth grade.

• Members

It sounds like she did. From the AWHP:

Courtney left June 12, 1970 for a year's leave of absence, but she returned to pre-tape scenes that were spaced out over that time period. These appearances include: September 24 and 28, October 9, and November 2, 1970. She returned full time on July 7, 1971.

• Members

Was Victoria Wyndham involved with someone from NBC? The show was handed to her,  the heroine/star was fired so that she could take her, place, they gave her star billing, she claims to have made "suggestions" to TPTB and secretly written for the show. Isn't this too much? And for what? Lousy ratings since 1980?

• Members

VW is very full of herself..so I think she is stretching things on her writing storylines and them taking her suggestions. P & G were notorious about not letting the actors have a say in things.  I think VW was at the right place at the right time for her to become the "star" Lemay loved her..Rauch must have liked her..they did away with core family so it ended up that she was the "face" of the show.

• Members

Victoria Wyndham wasn't "given" star billing.  She had been number-three in the cast list (behind Jacquie Courtney and George Reinholt) from her first episode.  The same number-three that had been previously held by Robin Strasser.   So when Courtney and Reinholt were fired, it was natural that VW would move to number-one.   The stranger billing was that of Douglass Watson (a relative new-comer to the show) who was moved from near the bottom of the list,  to number-two (upon the firing of Reinholt and Courtney), skipping over stars like Beverly Penberthy, Connie Ford, David Bailey, Hugh Marlowe, and Beverlee McKenzie.     

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

Backstage intrigue rocks 'Another World NEW YORK

Oh, my friends, they've got trouble. Trouble right there in Bay City on "Another World." That's Trouble with a capital T and that rhymes with P, which stands for post-pregnancy problems. As reported several weeks ago, Christopher Rich, who plays Sandy Cory on the NBC serial, and his wife, Nancy Frangione, who played Cecile DePoulignac, were having contract renewal problems with Procter & Gamble, which produces the show. Nancy threw in the towel and Cecile disappeared from the soap by entering but not emerging from an amusement park Tunnel of Love.

Chris decided to stick around the "AW" scene until the writers met his demand that his character of Sandy be "beefed up." Also implied in his negotiations was that if he were "made happy," Nancy might be persuaded to return as Cecile at an equally beefed-up salary boost.

During this backstage turmoil, another problem was born. Laura Malone, who originated the role of Blaine Ewing Frame Cory, took a maternity leave and was temporarily replaced by Judy Dewey. When Laura returned, she found the situation at the "AW" studio chilling; she got a strong display of cold shoulders from a few former "friends," both in the production office and even among the cast. Since her baby's arrival, Laura had added some excess baggage to her frame, and she was told by the producers to lose the weight pronto. She reports she lost 15 pounds, and even gave up breastfeeding her child. Nonetheless, a few weeks ago Laura's contract was not renewed, and Judy Dewey, the former "temporary" replacement, became the permanent "new" Blaine. , Laura promptly claimed on TV talks shows that she was a victim of discrimination because of her baby and that she couldn't lose weight fast enough to satisfy the producers. It may be a case of discrimination of another sort, because now the rumors are flying hot and heavy that it was Chris who complained that Laura was no longer up to snuff; that Miss Dewey would be a more suitable and workable screen mate for him. The actor did, indeed, comment during Miss Dewey's first go-round on the show that she brought a fresh approach to the screen relationship and was a delight to work with. Chris shrugged off insinuations that he had something to do with "AW's" decision regarding Laura. It was rumored that he reported that he could care less, one way or another, and that it was of no concern to him. Which is a strong reaction from a guy who was, for many years, a friend of Laura's. Indeed, Laura, Chris and Nancy are no longer the intimate chums they once were. Before Laura's marriage and pregnancy, they were a regular threesome around Manhattan. For their part, "AW" representatives report that they just plain "liked" Miss Dewey better than Laura and scoff at discrimination charges. It may simply have been a matter of weighing advantages, since it is a known fact that "AW" is trying everything to win back Nancy to the cast, and that means keeping Chris as snug as a bug in the rug.

Whatever, the problems of "AW" will soon weigh on a new executive producer's shoulders. Allen Potter has announced his retirement. Mary-Ellis Bunim, presently executive producer of "As the World Turns," is expected to move over to "AW." But at press time there was no confirmation, although Robert Calhoun, one of the producers of "Guilding Light," was an announced as taking over the reins at "ATWT." On an upbeat note, Robert Sedgwick joined the "AW" cast as Hunter Bradshaw, a rival of Ben 'McKinnon for school quarterback and for the affections of Marley Love. Sedgwick graduated from Bennington College last spring, and his sister is Kyra Sedgwick, the first actress to play Julia Shearer, a character recently "killed off" the show. Also, Julie Osburn debuts this week as Kathleen McKinnon, M.J. and Ben's sister, and a potential romantic interest for Cass. EG