Another World

• Members

Of course he wasn't.  My post explained that Mac was far wealthier, and we don't even know if Mac was the richest man in Bay City. Mac was just the richest man on the show.  Steve owned a construction company.  Mac owned a world-wide publishing conglamorate.   That had been established years earlier on the show.  No need to argue about it.   

Blaine was far better as a villainess. And Malone was better at playing her that way.  After Blaine became a heroine, Malone seemed to struggle finding motivation for the character, and Blaine became too saccharine sweet.  Artificial.    

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If you slog through the 1980 episodes Blaine is already well into anti-heroine mode and not too far off being an outright heroine, forced into being a mafioso's mistress in order to keep her husband Jerry safe. I think Laura does a great job with this stuff, but maybe the later material I haven't seen is more of a struggle for her. There's a lot of 80-82 AW material I just don't really have any rush to sit through.

• Members

He actually was, wasn't arguing, as someone who watched when Steve aka Mr Black returned from the dead  in 81 , I know he was more then just the owner of Frame Construction at that time, we will agree to disagree!

Who is Theresa?

• Members

I watched in '81 too.  And yes, they really screwed-up a lot of history with Steve's return.  When neither the writers nor the actors know the history of a storyline, it's difficult to get it right.  Paul Rauch and Vicky Wyndham would have known the details, but both had probably thrown-up their hands in exhaustion by that time.   

Theresa was Carol Lamont's mother and a socialite friend of Iris from back east.  Theresa was diagnosed with a terminal illness while visiting Iris in Bay City, and died on the patio of Iris's mansion.   

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

I may have been wrong that Theresa was diagnosed in Bay City.  It's possible she already knew she was dying, when she arrived.  I don't remember.   

My only problem with the focus on Theresa's death was, she was such an unimportant character.  Why didn't Lemay give this death scene to someone the audience cared more about?   I suppose it was a matter of timing.  But he certainly killed-off plenty of important characters, and often their deaths got relatively little attention.   We barely knew Theresa, and her death is still remembered as one of the show's classic scenes.  In terms of structuring a show, that was probably a mistake.    

• Members

Yes- she would made a good Pamela Davis.  She could have come to Bay City to stir up trouble for both Rachel and Ada.  Also, their father Gerald Davis was last seen in jail for perjury.  At the time Sharon Gabet arrived as Brittany, the character of Rachel had amnesia.  Pamela and Gerald could have plotted against the Corys and used Rachel to get their hands on the Cory fortune.