Y&R/ Maria Bell losing their way?

• Members

I started losing interest in the show when Clint kidnapped Katherine. I lost virtually all interest when Clint kidnapped Kevin and he started robbing banks. The show hasn't really been able to renew or hold my interest since.

On a sidenote, I've noticed that the Y&R viewers on this forum tend to have a more "unconditional positive regard" for the show than Y&R viewers on other forums.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm obsessed with the industry, and I don't know why. It's not professional. My job is actually pretty all-encompassing, and mostly satisfying.

Soaps are...the distraction. Like sports for other people. My conversations here are like "fantasy football".

If I had any professional goals, it would be to find a way to weave my personal interest in soaps into my professional interests...but that's a nearly impossible link. There is no way for it to make sense...or to get research in that domain funded.

So, for now, it is my hobby.

I don't know why people say I am "fighting", so I'm going to have to check and watch my tone. With you, Sylph, I feel we enjoy "playful banter"--honestly nothing more--but I'm worried the perception is that I'm an agitator. So I guess I'll lay off. Sorry if I offended.

• Members

:) Yes. But also it's always the same people who come in to comment how it's always a feud. My problem is that I take the bait easily. I should listen to an armada of people who say: Ignore Vee & Co., no one ever takes seriously what he has to say.

f_smajm_ab6cac5.giff_smajm_ab6cac5.giff_smajm_ab6cac5.gif

Yes, I do perceive you as an agitator and offender in disguise. You offend, always ever so subtly, end a sentence with an :) then full stop, always in that order, then pandemonium erupts, you reply only to a portion of a post and change the subject and then apologize. I would understand if it happened one time or two times... Or even three. But a 100? I don't think so.

In the end, everyone is free to think that I'm Brad Bell (remember the K.ola theory?), Vincent or a struggling, frustrated writer who desperately wants to write for soaps. Whatever. Who cares? :)

• Members

You guys can call it 'banter' if you want to. Personally, I get a little tired of having to watch a frustrated little martinet insult people over his personality disorder and paradoxically, his desperate need to belong, while his targets all act mildly bemused. Every "discussion" is simply another wind-up for him to explain how superior he is to the other posters. I don't like watching people demean themselves, tripping all over their own feet to not offend someone who clearly considers himself above all the other people posting on a backwater soap opera discussion forum...just like him.

Done.

• Members

People obviously love a little battle once in a while. It's just a show, a harmless distraction as Mark says, which allows us to hone our debating skills. Why are we letting it get so mean spirited? I love reading all your posts usually.

Tonight I would rather concentrate on celebrating the late Bea Arthur who just passed away and made me happy whenever I watched her.

• Members

MAB hasn't lost her way. She's just setting up the dominoes. That part usually isn't fun cause you don't know what the heck is going on or where this is all going. Like MarkH said, transitions aren't fun. But they're necessary. How many times have you watched a soap and you're like, wait - why didn't see see this relationship/motivation set up more properly so you buy the big payoff. Chipmunks aside, MAB knows what she's doing. I criticized her when the police didn't reference the video cameras in the hotel, but after reading spoilers, if I had been patient I'd see there is another beat to the story.

My one true critism of Y&R so far is that shetries to milk too much juice out of a story. The Kay/Marge caper lasted way too long. the Kevin story (which is an extension of the Kay/Marge s/l) is taking too long. She wisely corrects herself quickly though (letting Cane forgive chloe and Billy and dumping the custody battle).

• Members

I don't want to get into nuts and bolts of each story, but I hope we're going to stop having scenes of put-upon Kay and shrill Jill. Neither character is well-served by being painted in one color. I want to see more of Jill than simply the bitter non-daughter who has to spoil Kay's happy time.

• Members

Everything you just said I agree with. My interest in Y&R has been waning in and out for a year, but something happened at the beginning of Clint entering the picture in the Katherine storyline-(I honestly thought that the Katherine/Marge revisitation was one of the best storylines on soaps in YEARS, the Murphy aspect made it even better. Jill and Esther going at it- BRILLIANT. But something happened and I completely lost interest. The Fishers give me the ickies, I see no appeal in any of them (other than Lauren, who isn't really a Fisher) the show is simply in love with itself, and I am no longer in love with it. I watched again Friday and said, enough is enough. The combination of simply dreadful characters and the Y&R slow moving storylines (which I once loved) holds no interest for me anymore. I really do like Billy, Mac, and Stacy Haiduk's character's though and will always tune in here and there but..its not a show I look forward to at all.

• Members

One of the most brilliant comedienne and actresses ever. The BEST timing. With a simple look-she could make you laugh hysterically. The way she could do those one liners! The woman was amazing and one of those people you think will live forever. I was so sad to read the news today.

• Members

Umm. I was reading where this thread went and I just wrote a post that would have me banned. And since umemployment seems to be my theme of 2009, I would hate to be banned.

Why is it that any Y&R criticism always turns into this?

And I am not buying this "Sylph is an condescending instigator" bull-hit..

Oh yes, MAB is just setting up the dominoes....

Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes... blech.

• Members

With all due respect, Cat, I think it's very unfair of you to generalize like that. I'm sure some are just dissenting for the sake of doing so, but not all. Many, I believe, have legitimate reasons to think Y&R is not as wonderful as other, perhaps more vocal ones believe (and I'd like to think I'm one of 'em).

Y&R, by the way, isn't a total waste of time for me. I enjoy the heck out of Kay and Murph's relationship, b/c, how often do we get that on soaps these days? However, IMO, one decent storyline cannot compensate for the mediocrity that continues elsewhere.

Say, Mark, ever heard the expression, "Let sleeping does lie"? Or did you bring it up deliberately to antagonize me and/or Sylph?

No, you don't, Vee.

*groans*

Just remember, Sylph: I didn't start this. This time, anyway.

I didn't start this fight, either.

• Members

What did you write that was so wrong you'd get banned for it? :huh:

You've written nothing wrong thus far, neither has Sylph.

As for Y&R, this week was painfully stale - it felt like taking a sleeping pill. While I like some of what's going on, the chipmunk crap (which appears to be ending Monday), the crappy Winters storyline, and some other characters/actors annoy me.

While she's done some great things, I don't think MAB wants to be there, I don't think she wants to be writing this show. I think she does it out of obligation to her family first, and tries her best to make it work. My suggestion to her would be, hire a real writer, and keep your Co-EP credit Maria, if you don't want to be there.

• Members

Why don't we just say it-

The Y&R fans here are generally a very loyal bunch who are enjoying the show and they have a tough time hearing that their show is NOT all that. Its generally like talking to a wall.

I am suprised that people here seem to loathe Nelson Branco so much considering the fact that he literally jerks off to Y&R in his column.

There is no other show here that has such loyal viewers. With the exception of Jack Peyton and Days. (and I mean that complimentary)

Fashionable to piss on Y&R????? HERE???? Right.

Archived