Y&R/ Maria Bell losing their way?

• Members

I don't think she is losing her way...at least NOT YET!! :lol: What I think she is doing is taking the "key traits" for several key core characters and bringing them to the forefront as a reminder of what they were. One by one she will most likely change their direction - sort of like she will be infusing new energy into them. With the exception of Neil actually cheating :huh: and Sharon's stealing, she hasn't really done anything out of the norm. The fact that she has thrown some characters into turmoil in such a fast pace and sort of out of the blue shows me that she is creating her own canvas and will slowly write them into what SHE wants them to be going forward.

But she obviously is a WRITER because I have never ever seen a soap writer pen a classic case of 'dramatic irony" as what I am witnessing between Phick vs. Shick. B):lol: And anyone who can make my 75 year old mum start watching Y&R again just to see Katherine & Murphy is A-ok in my book and let me just add myself to the Katherine/Murphy fan club too - now my mum and I have something else to discuss. :) I happen to love her writing as of right now, I could do without the chipmunk <_< but I understand the reasoning. A few months or a year from now I might say differently though.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think Y&R is losing its way.

It had, as Mark pointed out, a SLOW week. A transitional week, I think.

It still has things to sort out -- MAB, HS x2 and the rest of the typing pool need to all get together and brainstorm the Winters, big-time. And some other problems that I posted about some days back on the Y&R weekly thread. But it is nowhere NEAR the level of crapness that was Out of our Asses. Thank goodness.

I also think that it is currently very fashionable to piss on Y&R at the moment. I get that some posters have been dissatisfied with Y&R for a while... and I respect that one person's fave show will not be another's cup of tea. But the level of hatred currently has been, for me, surprising. As if Brian Frons had decided to join SON and whip up a frenzy against a rival show.

Differing opinions usually bother me -- or so I thought! :lol: But the flippant vitriol directed at Y&R this week... I really had to bite my tongue and step away from threads at times. It really taught me what it means for something to be subjective!

• Members

I don't think she's losing her way just because a few characters are undergoing transformations. Don't forget that Hogan Sheffer's writing as well. He likes to shake things up and go for the shocks. Sharon's "breakdown" (would we call it that?) is something right out of ATWT circa Hogan Sheffer era and that is not a bad thing. The whole Kevin/Chipmunk thing is a miss for me but it does play true to Kevin's troubled life. The teens are also a miss, but I rarely tolerate the teen stories on a soap. As for the Winters, it seems like they're about to go in a new direction.

And we can't forget about the gay story coming up! :)

• Members

I believe you, but it is hard for me to believe. You spend so much time thinking/talking about it.

Now, if you really WERE Vincent Latham Lechowick, one could understand why you now have a reaction against the genre that was so unkind to your parents.

But I realize, as you strongly asserted long ago, you are not him.

• Members

That would explain your haunting this board like a bitchy also-ran revenant, and starting threads like "what should daytime become? Under new people, cultured people, people with ideas? Oh, why are you looking at little old me...oh, I'm just an outsider...no, no, never you mind me...even if I am amazing...oh, I couldn't..."

Oh, this I've got to hear.

• Members

:) Oh, how could I forget the VLL Khan feud I had some time ago! Anyway, whatever. Illusions are OK. It's also OK to believe that ever since Lynn Latham entered Y&R premises I was against her yet I was her son. Totally makes sense.

You post a whole lot of cr*p on the same subject, Mark, so perhaps I can deduce you want to be in this industry, too?

Archived