Update on GL airing on Lifetime

• Members

Actually, sources have said the new version would feature a paired down cast (see ya Kimmer) and focus on the Bauers and the Spauldings and some of the Lewis...no Coopers were mentioned. So, if that does come to fruition that version would be closer to classic GL then anything Ellie or Davey churned out the last four years.

I watched the last weeks episodes online, and despite some flaws (which all soaps have and GL always has had) the show, when focusing on the Spauldings and Olivia and Nat were great. For the first time in a long time I didnt HATE Buzz as JD brought it down and even Frankie D, despite that simpleton look on his face...(and that the writers still make him a clueless dunce) was kinda, sorta good. The production outside worked (weird, but the outside stuff and the real inside locations work better then the sets do) so anyone who poo poos GL on that level should take another look.

However, if it does go to another network, someone please cut out the moaning singers in the background (just go instrumental) and please give Spaulding some real offices (doent P & G have some real boardrooms they can let the show use...when Alex and Alan were talking in that closet with the reams of paper in the back....)

Long live GL (hopefully.)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Otalia's not my cup of tea either (seriously, making Natalia--who was downright boring when they introduced her as Gus' long lost ex---a lesbian doesn't make her any more interesting to me...) but at least it's a well (or better, shall we say?) written story than either Nuke or most of the rest of GL. At least it's a story with ramifications and fallout...a forgotten art in soap operas these days.

Not only might GL benefit from different performance expectations (a network less focused on the teen demo), it might benefit from Lifetime being able to show an episode more than once. There's no room for CBS to do it on their schedule, and it's not on Soapnet.

Who knows....Lifetime might actually even promote the damn show.

I think people make room to watch what they like. Otherwise, I wouldn't have deserted the Sleuth channel once it imported cheaper reruns and dumped Magnum, and others wouldn't be following GG all over the place.

• Members

What did you like better...his fascination with quasi incest...his obsession with "assassins," running around town, his reliance on kidnappings...his making a victim chase her rapist..the destruction of the core families so they could rely on the Coopers as the only "good," family in town..or maybe his reliance on goofy plot devices, what was better, Harley the superhero or Alan and the memory erasing serum??

Sorry, to each his own but that looser should have his crayons taken away. To her credit Wheeler has been wanting to get rid of him but Bloom wants him there...the reshuffling was the best she could do at CBS..and you can tell, some days GL sings, and some days it crap as usual.

• Members

Call me a skeptic, but if you believe that, then I've heard of a bridge in Brooklyn up for sale...

But that IS Frank, a clueless dunce. It's one of the only tried and true realities on GL. Hell, SOD called him the dumbest hero all the way back in 1992. Seeing Frank get a clue would mean it wouldn't be Frank anymore.

• Members

When she ran out of guys in Springfield to bang? I dunno....that's actually my other huge problem with the story. Not liking CC's acting, though, even I can admire the fact she's struggled with whatever her feelings are.

Uh...yeah. I know everything's on DVD now (and I even succumbed to buying seasons 1 & 2 of Lost)...but I don't watch them. I think I'm actually too lazy to get up, choose something, and put it in my DVD player. I can't see spending my money collecting dvd sets.

• Members

I totally agree about the actual sets being a visual nightmare versus the real settings and outdoor shots. They really ought to just camp out in Peapack 100% of the time now. Most of the indoor sets look so cardboard cheap and the rooms are small and make me claustrophobic.

If a soap opera were to move from network to cable, I think Lifetime is the perfect channel for one to land on. It's well-known, well-watched, and geared towards women (and gay men... well, until they lost The Golden Girls!)

P.S. Am I the only one who stopped watching Lifetime after they stopped airing THE NANNY??? "Ohhh... Mr. Sheffield!"

Archived