Best to worst: Opening credits

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Best- Tie between Y&R and B&B

Worst-No contest- OLTL

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. BAD CHEESY DRUMBEAT. BAD CHEESY SONG.

IT IS SO CHEAP THAT I CANNOT EVEN LOOK AT THE SCREEN WHEN IT IS ON.

It sickens me so much.

Its a bunch of generic graphics, STROBELIGHTS and horrible, videotaped actors doing moronic poses.

I loathe it; and it REEKS of Frons and everything that is wrong with ABC.

There are Youtube made videos better than OLTL's current opening and song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRPaovkmwts...feature=related

• Members

:lol:

It's not very classy, but it's more the combinations of all things included. They could have the strobe lights, if the left out the poses. Poses without the graphics. Graphics without the strobe lights.

The only thing they left out are the actors dancing with one another.

• Members

You all KNOW I'm an opening sequence lover, right?

I also believe in featuring the cast. The characters are the bread and butter of soaps, the audience should KNOW who is on the show they're tuning in to see. That's why it stuns me that Sarah Joy Brown STILL hasn't been added to GH's opening when she's proclaimed such a big star of that show.

All soaps have pros and cons to their openings.

As for ABC's branding of their openings, initially I was resistant to it, but I've come to like it because it does make things more cohesive. It shows you can take a general concept and do different things with it.

I think AMC did the best with it, making it all look like torn "live" photos whirling around. The only catch with them is that they do need to go back and re-time the images to the music because the first version of this format was timed MUCH better than it is now. They've also gotten extremely lazy with their floating segments, and that's what shook up that opening and broke up the parade of faces.

GH... Dear God. I see what they're going for, but it's too frenetic. If all the shots were transitioned like the Spinelli/Lulu/Logan shots were, I think it would be a lot easier on the eyes. Some faces just fly way too fast. You can barely tell Robin's in the opening. It's sad! And that cursed "men shot" at the end is just nonsense. Half of the characters are dead, WHY are we hanging onto that shot?! It needs a rework.

OLTL, I really don't even know what their concept was for their version of the branded opening. The collage of buildings superimposed over the characters have been phased away mostly, and now "OLTL" has creeped into the character shots, where they used to be just title cards breaking the opening into segments. Now it looks like the original bumpers that launched with this format, with the title and "abc" floating all over the characters faces. I think they need to reconceptualize and maybe try and align the studio lights with a rising sun imagery, and harken back to classic openings by returning to the sun and clouds images.

ATWT, I'm devastated that they basically wasted their last format with no real updates. It was a decent concept, and I would have liked to see the rest of the cast at the time featured, and then updated with cast changes. But since it's As The Recasts Turn, I guess they knew it would be too costly to keep updated regularly.

Y&R, I don't know why they have such an issue with keeping it updated. Visually interesting, the theme is classic, but so completely outdated as far as the cast that's represented that I don't know what their problem is, I really don't. Can we just update for February, May, and November sweeps to have some structure?!

GL... I don't like it. Thought the last format was better, the blue/white rip-off of OLTL's old format. That became that ridiculous hands/poem love-in opening, and then this current country music video reject. When I learned it's updated daily, showing that episode's featured characters it's just impossible to become attached to it. Can't GL's opening be a stable beacon like the lighthouse that it's known for?

B&B I love, because it's posed shots of the actors, it's consistent with the fashion theme of the show, the photography format is well executed. Easily the cleanest concept AND regularly updated! Heavy recurring characters are sometimes included, character and actor names are acknowledged, doesn't have too much going on to distract you, the theme is familiar but contemporary and upbeat.

DAYS I can barely count them as an opening. It's never changed. I wish they'd keep the hourglass and the spoken word but twist it into a character-featuring format. At least with all the firings over there, it won't take long to show all the characters that are left.

So to rank them:

B&B

AMC

Y&R (loses points for no updates)

OLTL (weak concept)

GH (seizure-inducing)

DAYS (tired)

GL (cheap)

ATWT (no opening)

• Members

I don't really like that B&B has character names. IMO, cheapens it a little bit. The new one was good for the first few years, it's a little jerky now. (From seeing it 5 days a week, I start to notice, lol). If you blink you miss some of the people towards the end and some of the shots just look better than others (not meaning the actual person, just the quality/how it fits). I think that is probably one of the reasons it's updated so frequently though. All they have to do is shoot the new person doing the little turn or whatever, and then drop it right in over somebody elses. That they even update people who've been on a while (Hunter, Lesli) shows how it easy it must be.

• Members

I personally don't like names in opening credits regardless. Character, Actor, either way, I'd rather just see the faces. But B&B gets points from me anyway, for using both, just to cater to both types of viewers who want to know the actor's name or the character's name. Considers all the viewers. It's the Obama of soap opera openings.

• Members

Thank you B&Bfan- I could not agree more- I forgot to mention that. The character names are SO cheesy.

Back to OLTL-

That dancing comment made me laugh my ass off.

David I HATE the fact that the ABC soaps have to have that "cohesive" corporate overtaken look as far as oepnings.

Its the very same reason I hate crossovers.

Not to mention that AMC and GH are the goddamn ugliest productions (daytime/nightime/prehistoric times) on the planet. OLTL has enough problems. I don't want it associated with that ugly neon lit AMC or that horribly lit, set designed, and no makeup on women GH)

The opening would not make me want to watch OLTL. An opening is important. OLTL's makes me ill. And that song. ICK!

And may I also add that I HATED the one that came before it- 1995-2002 or whatever it was.

• Members

The music was at least beautiful and it was filmed, not videotaped.

It was a holiday, my aunt was over and I was watching OLTL. She watched in the 70's and 80's.

She could not stop laughing when the "ONE LIFE TO LIVE" swooshed on the screen because she thought it was a contact lens commercial!!

It was way too impersonal. Picture that song of some filmed shots of a town or city with nice, classy photos of the cast- It would have worked extremely well.

You what opening and song I liked? I have seen it on Youtube- ATWT's from the early 2000's- Really pretty song, with nature scenes inside the letters- Very nice.

• Members

UGH! Way to sell your soap opera as generic!

Poor OLTL really doesn't have that defining image for it like AMC has it's photo album/scrapbook and GH has its ambulance/hospital. GH is so not about the hospital anymore, and I'm stunned that they even bothered to include the shots in the opening, but I guess they had to. I feel like GH needs to transition toward a heart monitor "blip" as its image, because that's a little more generic and can correlate to romance and the hospital (not that EITHER are really featured), and at least it wouldn't mislead viewers into thinking the hospital is really the center of that show anymore.

OLTL, as I said earlier, I think needs to go back to the sun, clouds, birds. They can pull the title font from the 80s Peabo Bryson opening and create something that's new but nostalgic. The 1995-2004 opening was way too city and industrial. I know what they were going for, and it was kind of an update of the 80s opening, but not in the best way. I liked it at the time but wouldn't want to go back to it now. OLTL's opening needs more work than GH's, I think.

Archived