Best to worst: Opening credits

• Members

Whoever thought of homogenizing the openings of the ABC soaps should be shot. Each show should have its own identity and unique opening. All My Children's is the better of the 3 but there are shades of it that are too similar to OLTL and GH as well as for promos for the Headline News program, Showbiz Tonight. (Must've been the concept of the same production company.)

If they're going to do this in the daytime then they should do it for Ugly Betty, Grey's Anatomy, and Private Practice. Hey, they're on the same night, so let's make it a cohesive block of programming.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I always LOVED DC's look in it. It was SO her and SO Sally. I thought Schae Harrison looked really good it in. (Still hate they killed her off).

They got away from the flashing in the new ones. I thought that was a nice little touch, like a camera flash, to go with the theme.

• Members

I LOVED the first version of GL's Hold On To Love opening, I hated the subsequent revamps and when P&G/Rauch slashed it down to 14 seconds in 1997.

I know a lot of people thought it was a little Nightly News-ish, but I loved it! The graphics still hold up well today, IMO.

Robert Calhoun was a genius when it came to picking soap music.

Here it is:

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

• Members

Piss on all of you who hate Jelinda's Theme. That theme rocks.

Here are my rankings:

1. B&B + Y&R(tie)

2. Days

3. AMC

4. ATWT

5. GL

6. GH

7. OLTL

B&B and Y&R are great for obvious reasons. They're befitting to the show and they're contemporary and it has a consistent theme.

But, I admit I much prefer opening titles without cheesy ass cast poses, which is why DAYS and ATWT rank so high. Some of the best opening titles, IMO, are the ones where you know what the show is about, the tone of the show, without the cast members.

As uninspired as some may think the Champagne and Nobody theme was for OLTL, it still lets one know what the show is about: love, heartache, passion, indulgence, family. That, to me, is far more creative than figuring out a way to get recognizable faces in for thirty seconds.

My favorite AMC open is the one before the homogenized version with everyone's names as a signature. I thought that one was very cute and it kind of fit with the stupid ABC mandate, that forced every show to have the character's names in it, but in a way that made sense. It had the names written instead of in some bold, stupid font.

• Members

My favorite version of the Dallas theme is the one used in the last couple of seasons(though I hate that they got rid of the classic triple shots).

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405">

And I hated what they did to the Beverly Hills 90210 openings during it's last 3 seasons. All the tacky ass blue and overdone effects completely ruined such a classic theme.

• Members

My favorite version of AMC's David Benoit theme. They also played this version when Looch got what was coming to her.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

I always forget that the ABC soaps went all P&G/CBS with the sponsor announcements in the 90s.

Nothing beats the season 4 music or visuals. Only thing off was ShanDo looking tired and bored as hell. But my god, the one clip of Brandon laughing...Jason Priestley has the most GORGEOUS smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzSNQEAEh4k

Archived