Create a new soap

• Members

There was some criticism on a recent thread that some of us are too negative. That we don't "celebrate" the genre enough. I have my issues with that charge. Namely that celebrating "the genre" shouldn't mean celebrating shows that no longer work.

To that end I ask you to create a new soap.

What kind of stories would it tell? When would it air? What would the cast look like? Who is the audience?

Just like sci-fi wasn't defined by 1960's Star Trek, daytime drama doesn't have to be defined by 2008's Young and the Restless.

It's your world. Have at it.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love this thread! (I agree there's no point celebrating what doesn't work!)

Setting: Colorado! Why? Big cities that feel like small towns, 4 seasons (and I think there's something romantic about the rockies as a backdrop). The mountains work as an additional character the same way NYC became a fifth character in Sex and the City.

Multicultural/multi-ethnic cast. Varying levels of income (I think what sucks about daytime is that everyone has to be 'rich' and that those how aren't eventually become rich or scheme to become rich, or spend a LOT of time hanging out with the fabulously wealthy as if that could happen - because there's nothing rich folk like more than hanging out with people who don't have money. Don't you read 'People'?).

No more treating race, orientation, religion, etc like 'novelty' storylines. The cast would be fully integrated in that sense. I think the 'old' model of 'easing in' populations is killing daytime and fails to appeal to larger audiences who are far more sophisticated than daytime EPs/execs believe.

Cast/plots would include:

The darker characters/storylines

-- an educated self-made CEO who is a 'pariah' in her family (an outsider to her family not because she's educated but because she's ashamed of her working class roots and unable to admit it to herself). The storyline is centered around a 21st century 'passing' when she reinvents herself and brings with her into her new life the one person who could/would blow her new life out of the water - someone she brings with her not by her own choice. Hey, I didn't say NO rich characters, just that they can't all be rich.

-- a young man (late 20s/early 30s) on the edge who has been hidng a secret that's been tearing him apart. He not only witnessed his father's death, he knows who did it and helped cover up the accidental death - obviously for someone he loves. The details of his father's unsolved murder make it unlikely that anyone would believe it was an accident. He's in his first potentially serious relationship and his deal with the devil comes back to haunt him.

-- an unconventional HIV storyline. An older woman whose unfaithful husband contracts the disorder. She's battling with forgiving her husband, dealing with HIV, an becoming an advocate for other women living with AIDS/HIV.

-- a former (ad exec? autoworker? high school teacher?) who lost everything because of a drug addiction, lived on the streets for a while - gets clean - ends up working as live in help for a wealthy family. He's dazzled by the big life and the big secrets of the glitterati, never becoming one of them. He knows more than he should because he sits in the shadows listening. He's not 'one of them' so they're not especially careful about what they say in his presence. He serves as a surrogate father to the family's young heir when he realizes the kid is being physically abused by the father. No one believes either of them about the abuse. He can't prove the abuse, but he can prove the father has engaged in other illegal activities. He blackmails him to get him to leave the child alone, keeping his job to stay close and keep an eye on the father. He keeps up his battle to keep the child safe, but the fear and anxiety cause him to battle relapsing in the process.

The lighter storylines:

-- one 'coming of age storyline'

-- A little comedy (would love a David Vickers-esque character)

-- A least one pair of star-crossed lovers

What I wouldn't add:

-- weak needy whining women. They need not apply. Men who cheat don't get to be called 'great husbands' or 'loving and caring' later (see: BnB's Nick Marone how bailed on his grieving wife for her mother a day after his child was buried... they both see what a 'good man' he is... bull)

-- love triangles - done to death. When couples break up, let it be for real problems, not because of a third partner.

-- Who's the daddy? storylines, as pregnant women are fighting to keep others from learning the truth.

-- Misattributed paternities (geez, how many times can soap characters raise children and later find out the children aren't theirs?

-- No pseudo-incest stuff (you don't get to date your niece just because you find out there's no bio link later in life.

Rules

-- more drama, less camp

-- more romance, less "hello, let's have sex"

• Members

I definitely think things need to evolve in the soap opera model to keep current! What I've done in creating the Beyond the Horizon canvas was try to reflect more of the world I find myself in...

What kind of stories would it tell?

Character-driven. All the way. With a new soap, of course, every "plot" is constructed for the sole purpose of defining the characters, not driving them, throwing challenges and temptations in their paths and its the reaction to these situations shaping the characters for the audience. I was careful to define the characters in my mind first, then construct connections and scenarios that highlight who they are, what they want, and what will provide the obstacles toward achieving those goals.

When would it air?

Cat thinks it's suited for cable, maybe F/X, but I could see it as an edgier program on SoapNet (but doubt they'd go there with their current trajectory), or, since there is a gay slant on the canvas, a home on Logo (on which Queer as Folk is the closest kind of programming to my project, but very different), or the pay-Gay channel, "Here!". I'd prefer it as an hour-long series, but could see it as a half hour to keep the storytelling sharp and focused, not trying to fill an hour every day with scenes that don't contribute to the direction of the story. I'd love it as a nighttime soap, at 9pm on one of the stations mentioned.

What would the cast look like?

It's really important to me to cast daytime faces. Unknowns could work, but I want proven talent from daytime. I also want actors who have done daytime, but perhaps weren't yet cast toward their strengths, never found that "right role", or appeared in enough daytime dramas to not be closely identified with one character. I do believe that every actor I cast HAS a strength, and I think I did well casting families for likeness and a lot of the characters were constructed with specific actors in mind, hopefully giving every opportunity for these characters to be a tour de force for the actors.

Who is the audience?

As a young gay man in his 20s, I wanted a show for me! Something I can relate to. I looked at gay programming and one thing that stood out is that if it's geared toward gays it explores gay issues primarily in a bubble, within a gay community with limited or non-existent connection to the heterosexual world. And in this political climate, with gay marriage a continual hot button issue, and the interaction of the gay and straight communities forever struggling, I wanted a series that could really fairly and somewhat evenly represent both cultures, explore the ways that the communities mingle and the reasons they can, and have trouble with, coexistence. I have my gay bubble in life, but a lot of straight people in my life, and the dynamics of all those relationships holds a lot worth exploring. Queer as Folk was an entirely gay canvas, with one straight mom. The L Word. These are the "iconic" programs for gays of this generation, and yet it's gay in a bubble. Sure, it explores our interaction with each other, but neglects the rest of the world we live in, touching on those issues in passing, as a one-episode event, if at all. What about the day to day? What about the families? What about the acceptance and non-acceptance? There's meaty stuff there.

The Cast of Characters

Old Money

The Von Stadts

henry_von_stadt2.jpg

Henry (Sebastian Roche) - One of the most powerful businessmen based in New York City, Heinrich Von Stadt is

establishing an important legacy for his son Leo to live up to. While many of the enterprises under Von Stadt International have been legitimate, there have been occasions that Henry has colored outside the lines, but anyone who might use that information to their advantage has met with a premature end. Cutthroat and a risk-taker, Henry has never let anything stand in the way of what he wants. But when one of his employees secured and hid proof of VSI's illegal dealings, Henry must cozy up to that now-deceased employees widow to get his hands on the evidence. But will the walls around Henry's heart start to crumble after all these years fighting to stay at the top?

leo_von_stadt2.jpg

Leo (Jeff Branson) - The heir apparent to Von Stadt International, a major conglomerate that has offices all over the world, Leo will most likely inherit the company when his father Henry is ready to retire, although Leo may not be the most qualified to run it. Being ridden so hard by his father all his life has left Leo facing certain esteem issues and Leo is forever reminded that his colleague Shawn Marks is more qualified than Leo to assume the reigns of the company one day. With Leo working with his father to get their hands on the evidence that could ruin them, Leo is keeping his law student girlfriend Fiona close, in case she may be needed in a professional capacity someday.

New Money

The Baldwins

theodore_baldwin.jpg

Theodore (John Ingle) - Trusting college professor who has always worn his heart on his sleeve nearly died from a heart attack when he won millions in the New York State Lottery! But Theodore has never been one to live high on the hog, so he planned to save his money and continue his good work shaping the minds of our next generation. Theodore's eldest children, Jenna and James, however, have more selfish plans for their father's windfall.

thomas_baldwin2.jpg

Thomas (Bobby Steggert) - The youngest of the Baldwins, Thomas is a prodigy and excels at all his classes in college. Planning to be a top executive at Von Stadt International someday, Thomas is shrewd and driven, but most importantly kindhearted and ethical. Thomas was thrilled when his father won the lottery since it meant Theodore's golden years would be secure and he could retire comfortably. But when Thomas's older half-siblings Jenna and James returned to New York, Thomas was convinced that their father's heart condition was the furthest thing from their minds, and they just wanted to get their hands on his newfound millions! Can he stop his half-siblings from dwindling away the new Baldwin fortune?

jenna_baldwin.jpg

Jenna (Kari Wuhrer) - Selfish to her very core, Jenna always believed she was destined for greatness. Anyone who didn't see it was a fool, and anyone who did believe it either needed to help her along to her goals or get the hell out of her way. Jenna cares little for anyone but herself, and doesn't even feel the need to pretend that she does. When her father won the lottery and suffered a heart attack, Jenna immediately returned to New York, prepared for the worst (burying her father) and grabbing hold of the best (the inheritance she now had coming to her to make her dreams of triumph over the fashion industry a reality). Her daddy recovered from his ailments, and Jenna learned quickly not to underestimate her little half-brother Thomas, since Thomas's closeness to their father was the main obstacle between Jenna and the dreams she's had since grade school.

james_baldwin6.jpg

James (Alec Musser) - A player in every sense of the word, everything came easy to James all his life. He coasted through school on his charms, his athletic prowess made him a star of every team he ever joined, all the way up through college, and he always had the sexiest girl on his arm. But after college, the world wasn't as forthcoming with its praise and its success. James was always comfortable but never set for life... until his dad struck it rich in the lottery. Flocking together with his "bird of a feather" sister Jenna, the oldest Baldwin siblings quickly made their way back to New York to get into the good graces of their father, who they'd written off as soon as they were old enough to look down on him. One more thing that wasn't about to come easily to James? His father's attending physician, the beautiful but icy Dr. Julia Lawless, who sees him for the player he is and refuses to waste her time on a man no deeper than his reflection in the mirror. Does he have the depth to prove Julia wrong about him?

Upper Middle Class

The Applewhites

terrence_applewhite1.jpg

Terrence (Walt Willey) - Acclaimed director/producer in NY's theatre community, Terrence Applewhite was married for 30 years and fathered two children before making a very difficult decision -- to come out of the closet! His wife Emma left him immediately, but his children Fiona and Rod stuck by him and tried to adjust to the new revelation. Making the adjustment all the more difficult was their father's relationship with his new, young boy toy, Christian Avery Field, an aspiring actor, whom the Applewhite siblings are certain only wants to cash in on Terrence's fame and power in the theatre community!

rodney_applewhite2.jpg

Rodney (Forbes March) - Passionate aspiring writer Rod Applewhite was thrown for a loop when his father came out of the closet to the family. But Rod was furious when he met his father's "boyfriend", who turned out to be a twentysomething aspiring actor, Christian! Certain that Christian was merely using his father, Rod would do anything to end his father's relationship with the young man. But is there more to Rod's anger over the situation? Rod's girlfriend since college, Crystal Halperin, worries that there is, especially after Rod called her by CHRISTIAN'S name during sex on Valentine's Day! A freudian slip, if there ever was one!

fiona_applewhite1.jpg

Fiona (Connie Fletcher-Staton) - Fiona Applewhite is as calm and serene under pressure as her name might imply. Definitely a contrast to her hot-headed brother Rod! The news that her father was gay after he had spent 30 years with her mother surprised Fiona, but she accepted her father with open arms for who he truly was. Fiona usually finds herself the peacemaker when it comes to her brother's reaction to their father's relationship with the much younger Christian Avery Field. Meanwhile, the driven law student has little time for her relationship with Leo Von Stadt in between mediating for her father and brother, and her internship at the Royale & Klein Law Offices. It's only once she decides to really start making time for her relationship that she starts to realize that Von Stadt International may be up to no good...

The Halperins

eleanor_halperin1.jpg

Eleanor (Catherine Hickland) - Hopeful heroine Eleanor thought she had it all. A loving husband, two thriving bar/restaurants, and two loving daughters. But everything changed when her husband disappeared and was found days later, in his car, run off the road, apparently in the process of abandoning the family! Struggling to make sense of this twist in her life, Eleanor relied on old friends like Terrence Applewhite, new friends like fellow widow Hattie Wilson, and the growing concern from her dead husband's boss, Henry Von Stadt. What Eleanor doesn't know is that Henry AND Hattie have ulterior motives for their sudden involvement in her life. But at least Henry's interest in her will become more genuine over time. Hattie's interest, however, will become deadlier and more threatening!

crystal_halperin.jpg

Crystal (Kerry Butler) - Crystal Halperin seeks security more than anything. Just recently reeling from the death of her father in what appeared to be his attempt to abandon the family, Crystal clung that much tighter to her longtime boyfriend Rodney Applewhite. But Rod's all-consuming investigation into his father's young boy toy Christian Avery Field has Crystal feeling left out in the cold once again. As she begins feeling more and more isolated in her own life, Crystal realizes it's time to figure out who she is, if she's not just someone's daughter, sister, or girlfriend.

rebecca_halperin1.jpg

Rebecca (Lindze Letherman) - The youngest Halperin woman somehow turned out to be the most level-headed and is very much the rock of the family. Where Crystal wandered aimlessly, reacting to life, Rebecca always chose the path ahead, and in college found a kindred spirit in Thomas Baldwin. With Rebecca's father's recent death, Rebecca remains strong

for her mother and sister, but can lean on Thomas, who also had to face his father's mortality recently. As Rebecca and Thomas's feelings deepen, they face the decision of whether it's the right time to surrender their virginity to each other.

Lower Middle Class

The Wilsons/Lawlesses

hattie_wilson1.jpg

Hattie (Kate Collins) - Defining the term "frumpy" most of her life, Hattie has always had a skewed vision of the world, and being insecure in her own skin has manifested itself in sometimes hostile and dangerous ways. Controlling over her daughters, suffocating them in an effort to grow them into slender, beautiful women that could land a wealthy husband, and live a life better than the one Hattie had lived, drove her eldest daughter Julia away, and led younger daughter Tiffany to have an equally skewed vision of the world, confusing sex with love. Hattie has tracked Julia down to NYC and followed her there, determined to make a good life for herself and her daughters, even though nothing has changed about Hattie's approach to life. It wasn't long before Hattie landed a job as a secretary to international businessman Henry Von Stadt and started developing an unhealthy fixation on him... and it's Henry's interest in Eleanor Halperin that puts Eleanor right at the top of Hattie's hit list!

julia_lawless2.jpg

Julia (Melissa Archer) - Julia built a lot of walls to cover years of past traumas that she suffered at the hands of her mother. At a young and tender age, Julia discovered her father's body after his apparent suicide -- on Valentine's Day -- shortly after her mother Hattie had learned he cheated on her with his secretary. Suffice it to say, Julia and Hattie have a lot of issues. Julia struck out on her own very early in life, and escaping her mother's influence allowed Julia to become a doctor and save lives... since she couldn't save her father. Julia doesn't open up easily to people, because she believes most people aren't trustworthy and will always have an agenda of their own. Ladies man James Baldwin is no different, but the more Julia resists his advances, the more determined James becomes to melt Julia's icy exterior.

tiffany_lawless2.jpg

Tiffany (Ambyr Childers) - Growing up with only her mother Hattie as her guide, Tiffany thought she needed to stay blond and pretty to find success in life. As she got into her later teen years, Tiffany would have sex first and ask questions later. Tiffany wasn't as plump as previous generations in the Lawless family, so she was quick to use her feminine wiles to get her way. When mom Hattie relocates them to NYC to reunite with Julia, Tiffany starts to get a window into her family history and realizes she should have been asking questions a lot sooner. It's not long before Tiffany starts to see her mother's unconventional (and dangerous) methods of getting what she wants, and it makes Tiffany wonder if her father really committed suicide after all.

Middle Class

The Reynosos

aviva_reynoso1.jpg

Aviva (Christina Chambers) - They say some people simply lead a charmed life. According to most, Aviva Reynoso's name is on that list! Bubbly college professor, Aviva is the sweetheart in town, which makes her adversary Rachel Marks see red. Aviva is upstanding, genuine, caring, and traditional. She and Rachel both have their eye on loyal EMT Ramon Valdez, but Ramon is about to realize he has equal interest in Aviva AND Rachel... for very different, but obvious reasons. Aviva is the woman you'd bring home to mom, the woman you should want... while Rachel is the type of aggressive woman you can't help but want.

carina_reynoso.jpg

Carina (Natalia Livingston) - It isn't easy living in your sister's shadow. Especially when your sister is as perfect as Aviva Reynoso! The younger Carina always found trouble competing with a sister for whom everything just seemed to work out right. So after years of trying to keep up, or even trying to best Aviva, Carina finally resigned herself to a mediocre life as an orderly in a hospital in New York City. But after years of settling for a life less than enjoyable because Aviva already had one, a near-death experience may reawaken Carina's drive to find her niche.

The Valdezes

ramon_valdez2.jpg

Ramon (Kamar de los Reyes) - Ramon Valdez was always a man with a plan. A hard worker, loyal and protective, Ramon fights for the people he loves. Ramon works as a bartender at The Redeye for Eleanor Halperin, while taking certification classes to become an EMT. Aside from paying for his classes, he is also paying loans for his brother Rolo's college

education, while Rolo is more interested in sewing his wild oats than passing his classes! Ramon finally met a woman that threw his plans out the window. An idyllic relationship with Aviva took a back seat when fiery Rachel Marks awakened a passionate magnetism that Ramon didn't know could exist between two people. It isn't long before Ramon and Rachel's unavoidable affair takes a dark turn that will haunt Ramon, Rachel, and Aviva for a long time to come.

rolo_valdez.jpg

Rolo (Ignacio Serricchio) - Rolo is a typical college Junior. Intelligent and capable... but more concerned with bedding sexy co-eds than keeping his grades up! Rolo's overprotective brother Ramon left Rolo with a cushion in life. Where Ramon works hard and pays the bills, Rolo uses some of that slack to get his kicks and enjoy his youth, doing just enough work to get by. Rolo does a little bartending for Eleanor Halperin, a little landscaping for the Von Stadts, and a little school work to stay enrolled in college. But Rolo's lack of responsibility and discipline can get him into trouble, and getting himself into a desperate situation may cause him to turn to the wrong person for help. It's the wild and wounded Tiffany Lawless that makes Rolo sit up and pay attention, but lack of focus on his studies threatens his future at college, and he may need to take money from Hattie Wilson, who wants to make use of the access he has to Eleanor, Henry, and the influence he has on Hattie's own daughter Tiffany, for Hattie's own devious ends. Is Rolo getting in over his head?

The Markses

shawn_marks1.jpg

Shawn (Tobias Truvillion) - Siblings Shawn and Rachel Marks always had to fight for everything they ever got. Shawn fought his way to near the top of the corporate ladder, but still has his eye on a VP position at VS International. Shawn knows he could run VSI, but also knows well enough to pick his battles. That means letting Leo Von Stadt take the credit for now, and letting Shawn's hard work speak for itself. But the corporate world isn't as fair as Shawn wants it to be. Shawn also knows that to have it all, sometimes it must be at different times, in different places. Shawn compartmentalizes his life, always being the man the situation calls for. This chameleon-like personality makes him a very attractive commodity for the upwardly-mobile Jenna Baldwin, who would only hang on the arm of the smoothest operator in the room. But Shawn also must be true to his heart's desire, and the one he desires is Aurora Borealis, a drag queen who performs three nights a week at the local gay bar!

rachel_marks.jpg

Rachel (Sherri Saum) - Private Investigator Rachel Marks is known for her rough edges and prickly personality, and it's even more apparent in contrast to her rival, Aviva Reynoso. Rachel can't stand women like Aviva, with a head in the clouds as they walk on air, untouched by the harsh realities of life. Rachel has always had to grab what she wanted, it never just came to her, like it does for Aviva. But things aren't always as they seem, and Rachel's wanton pursuit of Ramon makes her the target of some sinister messages from someone who knows more than they are letting on.

The Rest

christian_avery_field1.jpg

Christian Avery Field (David Evan Smith) - Little is known about Christian Avery Field, except that he is an orphan and an actor. And Rod and Fiona Applewhite would say he's an opportunist! Christian is in love with the much older Terrence Applewhite, who just happens to be a known director in the NYC theatre community. Christian would have one believe this was mere synchronicity. But Christian would have one believe a lot of things. Christian's main attraction to Terrence is the family and security that Terrence can provide, and Terrence's ability to accept Christian for who he is, an environment Christian had trouble finding as he bounced from foster home to foster home as a gay youth until he was 18. Every time Christian came close to a stable, secure environment, somehow it slipped through his fingers. And Christian is not about to let Rodney Applewhite ruin the best thing that has ever happened to him.

aurora_borealis1.jpg

Aurora Borealis/Eddie Dawson (Jeffrey Carlson) - Canadian-born Eddie Dawson is better known to New York City as Aurora Borealis, a popular drag queen in the NYC gay bar circuit. He named himself for the universally appreciated "northern lights", while Eddie has been anything but universally appreciated. Being a drag queen is not something that many understand, including Eddie's family. But Aurora has learned it's awfully lonely in the spotlight. Living as a man and working as a "woman" doesn't leave a lot of room for romance. Eddie was smitten when a particular fan of Aurora's act, Shawn Marks, showed a romantic interest. Eddie built up so many ideas in his head of where their romance should go, but Shawn Marks, living life "on the down low" as a straight black man in the corporate world (with a steady girlfriend, selfish diva Jenna Baldwin) derails Eddie's plans. Can Eddie, who lives life completely as he is, and Shawn, who can never admit to his true desires, really make it work?

evan_royale.jpg

Evan Royale (Ian Buchanan) - Expert litigator and world class womanizer, Evan Royale is almost a household name in New York City. It's likely he's either represented your mother in court, or he's slept with her... or both! Evan Royale is a partner in the Royale & Klein law firm, with Herbert Klein. Fiona Applewhite interns at the offices and can attest firsthand what a lecherous man Evan can be!

lauren_sapphyre3.jpg

Lauren Sapphyre (Lynn Herring) - Lauren Sapphyre, known to the business world as the CEO of Sapphyre Cosmetics, would be the definition of a "power lesbian". In control, on top of her game, and always attacking a situation with a "take charge" attitude. Lauren's been through a lot in her life, but she has never let it stand between her and anything she ever wanted.

• Members

If I created a soap it would be very arch. I would have a ruthless billionaire, his scheming wife who is waiting for him to croak, his children (not hers), a town social climbing vixen who wants to marry into wealth, a lot of shirtless guys, a lot of sex, it would all be wrapped in a murder mystery, young lovers who just want to be happy but the various forces in town won't let them be, and then (and this is where I go crazy) I would blend all of that in with one of the wealthy sons is basically Batman or something, and incorporate super heroics into it because that will bring the geek cred and buzz, and just a mere glance at the most popular movies of the last 10 years and it is obvious that comic books, fantasy and sci-fi is where the public is at these days. I would have the soapiness for the women, the superhero/detective for the guys, and every story would stem from the soap opera but eventually draw the masked detective (who would be wanted by the law and a price on his head placed by his own father) to solve the case when it eventually impacts him personally.

Then when we need a break from mysteries (which would be next to never) that's when I might incorporate either vampires or government conspiracies with a sci-fi bent.

My goal would be to attract men to watch because, let's face it, women will watch soaps more readily then men.

• Members

i think the best thing to do would be to create a soap set hollywood, set around the lives of the rich and famous, the wannabes, the upand comers, the hasbens, the producers, the execs, the tabloids... it just offers such a rich setting and cast and chars that can easily interact. its also a soap setting that can change as it grows and as the audiance changes.

• Members

My new hour-long soap entitled "Sin City" focuses on the seediness and darkness of Las Vegas (of course). Lots of larger-than-life characters coming and going as the show progresses. Everything you'd expect: Mobsters, prostitutes, drug dealers, brothels, high-rollers, loan sharks, hit men, hit women, con men, con women, corrupt police officers, FBI agents, lots of drama, lots of crime, lots of mystery, and murder. I think it would be better suited as a nighttime show on FX or as a nighttime show in a 5-night-a-week format on Spike TV. Another soap idea is something set in Atlanta, Georgia. A show focusing on four families: Black, White, Hispanic, and Asian.

• Members

my show would be about

Sex.Treachery.Envy.Affairs.Murder.

IN fact S.T.E.A.M. airs right here in the blog section. You want a different, no non sense approach to a soap than this is the series to read. It also happens to be the highest viewed original(non fan fic) blog here at SON. But don't take my word for it, find out for yourself ;)

• Members

I hoped this thread would attract a few writers, fanfic and other. I found my way to fanfic - solely as a reader - through my graduate work years ago and I will swear to any and everyone that there are fanfic writers out there who equal and far surpass many "professionals." Later I started writing in a non soap fandom then I moved on to a soap fandom.

My dream soap:

Would take place in a real city, but not NYC, LA, Las Vegas or Miami. I think those cities are overexposed. And no more fictional small towns that just happen to be home to a cosmetics company, fashion magazine and all purpose electronics company. That's insulting to people who live in real small towns and laughable to people in cities.

Do away with core families. Pedigree doesn't make a character valuable. It's one thing to have a core set of characters but no character gets a pass just because they have a certain last name. This also does away with the need to retcon the parentage of every new character.

More:

friendships

diversity (race, age, socio economic, body image)

Less:

babies

death

romantic triangles/quads

• Members

The only original soap I ever came up with was during high school, over ten years ago, and given my heavy Dark Shadows viewing at that age, it was full of supernatural stuff. The pilot episode was supposed to have a young teenager killing her rich patriarch father, who had been possessed by a demon, and burying him on the grounds with the help of her mysterious butler, only for the man to turn up alive and well the very next day. Plus there was, IIRC, Debbi Morgan and her ghost husband, where she was taking over his family restaurant but has yet to solve his murder. There was also the amusing dilemma of how Debbi and Ghost Dad can continue their marriage given that he is dead (albeit constantly present and only seen by her). Look, I was like 16.

Today I think it's nearly impossible to balance that with good soap so I'd probably eschew it. I think it's more challenging to do something very raw and homespun a la Ryan's Hope or the British soaps, but I suppose the ultimate challenge would be mixing that with fantastical elements - which was sort of what I'd had in mind all those years ago.

There was also a honest deconstruction of the Luke and Laura phenomenon by showing a Genie Francis type alone and raising children while her "we were big in the 80s" hubby is still off saving the world (off the canvas) and not paying child support. And a story featuring a transgendered kid which no soap has ever done. That's one of the few things I would retain.

• Members

The soap I would create would be very close to what I do with From These Roots over at SOFFnet - well when I get back to it.

It would have all the soap staples but with a modern twist. I don't want to break the mold but bend it a little and mold it. I don't think there is anything wrong with soaps in general other than they have been more than bent - they have been broken.

My show would appeal to all ages with stories for all ages. right now ethnic characters don't play a big part in FTR but they are very very soon and they will be just as big as the other characters. FTR has gay characters as well and they are very much interweaved and focused as the heterosexual characters.

All of the stories are there that have been done on daytime but there are also new stories as well or the old triangles and such are given a new twist. Plus there is everyday talk - some characters say the f word - some don't. They have sex and sometimes it is not as part of a loving relationship - after all not everyone in real life has sex because they are in love - so why should they in soaps. Sometimes a [!@#$%^&*] is just a [!@#$%^&*].

Like David I believe in using daytime talent - even though occassionally I put other talent in there.

For a network if FTR was ever picked up on a network it would definitely ahve to be cable. Even though gays are on there, I would not want it on Logo - I hate that channel. F/X would be great for me.

Archived