Y&R: "Back in the Sack"-TV Guide Article

• Members

I'm not privy to what Michelle Stafford does or does not agree to. If she has that kind of power, than TPTB or TIIC believe that she is indispensable.

Your other points are spot on and go along way towards pointing out how Nick and Sharon have been failed by the writers and not just LML. All the way back, those two have been established as having no other worth than their romance and inevitable infidelity. To me that does not make for good soap characters, because good soap characters can always move around canvas and generate interest wherever they go. Nothing needs to be forced, they are the story.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I believe it was Marla or someone else that quoted Stafford as saying she doesn't or refuses to play psycho Phyllis.

Frankly, if she wields that much approval of material, I'd fire her...

I agree.

Partly why Nick and Sharon are so useless without one another was the way they were established and kept together for a decade. So much of their history is tied up in one another, that it's hard to move them away from one another. I don't know if that was Bill Bell's original intention or not, but the years of developing those characters together as opposed to as individuals is a failure, because they can't escape one another, and at this point with all the years given to them, it makes no sense to see their orbits NOT interacting. Though really, I question if anyone would accept two completely new characters being paired with Nick and Sharon, I bet most would hate them for the fact that those two possible love interests would be "newbies" alone. TPTB waited way too long to move Nick and Sharon apart.

• Members

I agree. That goes for everyone on any soap from top to bottom. Actors need to learn to STFU and act.

But on the other hand i can respect when they disagree and go to bat for something they honestly believe is wrong for the char and will hurt them. But again, at the end of the day, actors ened to act.

I dont blame actors tho. TPTB let it happen - hell soemtimes even encourage it (hello Days & GH!)

• Members

I don't have a disagreement with actors standing up to for their characters and questioning stupid writing. If Eric Braeden had of done that, we could have been spared having Sabrina and the miracle baby storyline. I lost a lot of respect for him when he played that one out, no questions asked. I just don't think that actors should have storyline control.

As for Nick and Sharon being useless without each other, how useful are they with each other?

• Members

I actually gained respect for Braden by not refusing to play it. Bringing up an issue with a storyline sure, but again.. at the end of the day the writers write and the actors act and thats what needs to be done.

EXACTLY! they are not useful together. She is useless without him. But he without her can go on.

• Members

Fan base meltdown alert. I'm not a fan of either couple. I think Josh Morrow is the weak link. If pushed I'd have to admit that Y&R is better off with Sharon and Nick back together, but is shouldn't happen for another 5 years or so.

• Members

Nah, recycling the best stories is cool. There is the karma aspect (Nick and Phyllis were stuck in a snowstorm motel), and the historical element (Jack and Jill had sex, and Lindsey Wells photographed it)....

...which is why, in my version of it, Adam happens to be free and walking by the cabin when the sex is occurring. And he happens to have a camera (e.g., his fancy cell phone). And a classic soap tale is reborn....

Maybe Adam doesn't use it, but instead, decides to pursue Sharon (since Nick remains committed to his marriage). And he holds on to that picture for months or years, until it finally suits his purposes...

Not original, but so much soapy fun.

In the early and mid-90s, I would have been right there with you. But somewhere along the way, Joshua matured into something much better. He doesn't get the credit he deserves for the sincerity and authenticity and well modulated emotion that I feel he brings to every scene.

The first time I thought there was hope for the boy was when Noah was born...and presumed dead briefly. The Nick-Sharon anguish was palpable. Then, of course, the whole brilliant Cassie-death arc (from which we are STILL feeling repercussions...talk about a great, meaningful death!) helped him come into his own. One of my favorite scenes of his was during the Nick-van-Winkle LML tale (the episode broken down by Barbara Bloom, if you can believe it!). The anguish he played when he REDISCOVERED that he had lost his wife and and his daughter and his family...well, it was breathtaking for me.

So, in my opinion, Morrow can no longer be accused of being a weak link.

• Members

Not to get off topic, but I always liked Bloom's stuff on Port Charles, and I definitely remember (once I got over my shock of seeing Bloom's names in the credits as a breakdown writer) loving that episode with Nick, Mark. I really wish she'd go back to being a writer.

• Members

Not necessarily. Remember the lip-lock in the bank vault?

Praise for Babs Bloom? I ask you, how often does that happen?

I'm slightly more invested in Nick & Sharon, b/c, as Y&RWorldTurner pointed out, they share a unique, emotional bond. (As opposed to Nick & Phyllis, who share, what? A baby, and maybe a prescription for Valtrex.) Having said that, I, too, believe Nick to be the weak(er) link in both relationships; and if Nick & Sharon must reunite at all, then it should not happen right away.

• Members

So happy to hear that Nick & Sharon will reunite eventually. I am also so happy to see Nick & Phyllis on their way to be over. I can't stand Phyllis at all right now. Their relationship has always seem to be based on sex. So what if they have a daughter, Shick having a child didn't stop her from breaking up Nick's marriage. I always preferred her with Jack and if they don't end up together I am fine with that. I think out of the two couples I am more invested in Nick & Sharon.

I love Joshua Morrow's comments on this whole thing. It's going to rock and is long overdue.

Archived