AMC: Friday, December 19, 2008

• Members

Thanks Adam. I so wish Soapnet would show old AMC episodes, I'd LOVE to watch them.

I just wish Adam, Tad, Joe, Ruth, etc.... would have been at the funeral

Zach/Myrtle is my favorite soap opera friendship of all time. IMO you just don't see friendships like that on soaps, especially nowadays. TK/EH had such great chemistry, and TK said in SID a few weeks ago that Eileen would say he was her boyfriend *sniff*

TK also talked about how he and Eileen wanted to do Hamlet together but never got the chance :(

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish they had done this type of show for Phoebe, too! As far as the boarding house, I think it was supposed to have been damaged in the tornado.

I've always found Francesca's voice relaxing, too. I think it's because on some level it takes me back to listening to AMC as a kid while my mom was watching it.

That was a fantastic episode! I started crying a little when Kelly put her hand on the door, and then burst into tears when Erica gave her eulogy and then started bawling again with Zach's poem at the end.

As far as the absentees, the Martins definitely should have been there; I wonder why they weren't. I wish the show had gotten Link to come back, too.

• Members

He helped Angie put Frankie up for adoption but that wasn't related to Jesse killing him.

It was a few years after Angie & Jesse got their son back that Jesse was investigating a baby selling ring. His ex-girlfriend Yvonne was involved (I can't remember who fathered her son but it wasn't Jesse). He didn't get a chance to tell Angie that her father was behind it until after he killed Les in self defense.

• Members

I agree! I loved those scenes. Eden does emotion so well, and I loved how Erica shared some of her darkest moments with Bianca. I wish I could watch that drug addiction storyline over again. So great, so much drama. One of Erica's last great storylines.

• Members

Oh ok, thank you. I was only a baby at the time so I obviously wasn;t watching. I am just doing it by memory from the book that has the entire story history. I should dig that out again and go through some of the years. Its episodes like today that remind you of just how much of a staple All My Children was and well in my mind still is. I love the concept of AMC. May not always like what I see on my screen, but its heart is always there. However another piece died today with Myrtle :(

• Members

Oh I know. I just don't think TPTB would have bothered including Kelly if FJ wasn't friends with the executive producer. Thank goodness they are friends though because I think Kelly is the most important person from the past that they could have brought back for this.

• Members

Snowbound and watching the episode on Soapnet right now. The carny stuff with Eden singing had me in tears. I totally lost it at the commercial break with Agnes blowing a kiss as Myrtle's portrait as she stood in front of Francesca. A totally bawling mess!! It's episodes like this that remind me why I've loved this show all these years.

• Members

I just watched it again on SoapNet - to catch all the stuff our ABC affiliate left out today.

It was truly great.

This and the memorial at the bar that ATWT did for Hal Munson are two of the most character appropriate sendoffs ever in the history of soap opera for me.

This type of sendoff is what fit Myrtle. The show was done so well. As to the Langley scene it would have been so easily fit in when Opal looked into the crystal ball and saw Myrtle's life. Even though I loved the flashback with Carol Burnett, I would have replaced it for a clip of Langley/Lenny and Myrtle.

AMC hit one out of the ball park with this one. I have to say it again - it is so much better than what they did for Phoebe. I just did not feel that the funeral for Phoebe was character appropriate. This type of laid back send off fit Myrtle. Having a stuffy casual funeral would have been a slap in the face for a send off for Myrtle. And I feel that is what they did with the great Ruth Warrick and Phoebe.

Phoebe English Tyler Wallingford was a grand dame. She was a descendant of the first families that came over on the Mayflower. She was a member of the DAR and a lady of society. She breathed everything about appearance. I tuned in expecting a big royal sendoff to the grand lady, and what took place was something more fitting for Myrtle.

After that I had really low expectations for today's sendoff for Myrtle. And I have to eat any bad thoughts or words because AMC did this one right.

It is hard for me to say there was one moment today that was "the" moment. I am glad some of you feel there was. But to me there were so many "the" moments from Bianca's song, to each one of the gifts, to Kelly touching the door, to each of the former housemates sitting on the porch, to Erica's eulogy, and to Zach breaking down in the elevator and the poem. Each one was a defining moment and if you take any of them out you lose a big part of what made this so special.

• Members

I think the problem with Phoebe/Ruth Warrick was that by the time she passed, she really no connections to any of the characters on the canvass except for Brooke, who herself had been severely marginalized at that point. Ruth hadn't appeared in, what, 3 years, so I don't think TPTB had enough faith in the audience to watch a full hour devoted to a rarely seen or mentioned character. I have a hunch if Agnes hadn't been somewhat involved with the show at that point, that we wouldn't have even gotten what we did, and instead only some kind of "Episode dedicated to the memory of..." at the end of the episode. Today's show was wonderfully moving and reminded me that above all else AMC, at its heart, is about family, community and relationships. I think those virtues get lost in the day to day storytelling, but they were certainly evident today. The only think that would've made it better was if the Martins had appeared. Is MEK on vacation?

• Members

That was the first full AMC I've watched in three years, and as much as it broke my heart, it made me feel like I was home.

Oh god, how I loved Myrtle. She really was the heart of PV, the flashbacks show just how many characters she was tied to, and had unique bonds with. I thought the gifts she sent were wonderful and really heartfelt.

I figured out pretty early on that Erica's was the dress. And it killed me when she figured it out. Susan killed me today. She does her best acting when she's subtle and subdued. You could feel Erica's lose and shock, and her love from start to finish. :wub: I just wanted to reach through the computer and hug her, hug all of them.

Agnes blowing a kiss made me loose it completely. :(

What a touching and beautiful show. Bravo AMC!

Archived