AMC: Friday, December 19, 2008

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh Good Lord that was good.

What everybody's said and more. I loved it.

RIP, You Carny Queen. How I miss her voice, every word from her mouth a delight.

Oh yeah,

I kind of agree about him loving Myrtle more than any one. I did read that TK wrote the poem. Nicely done.

• Members

The song is Once upon a Time by Lee Adams and Charles Strouse. It's from the 1962 musical All American which starred Ray Bolger and Eileen Herlie. How wonderful of someone to remember and have that song sung at the service. The lyrics are

Once upon a time, a girl with moonlight in her eyes

Put her hand in mine and said she loved me so

But that was once upon a time, very long ago

Once upon a time, we sat beneath the willow tree

Counting all the stars and waiting for the dawn

But that was once upon a time – now the tree has gone

How the breeze ruffled through her hair

How we always laughed as though tomorrow wasn’t there

We were young and didn’t have a care

Where did it go?

Once upon a time, the world was sweeter than we knew

Everything was ours – how happy we were then

But, somehow, once upon a time never comes again

• Members

The poem was definitely written by TK. It is called Highland Song, and has been posted at his official site ThorstenKaye.com.

The magazines said that TK and others were working very hard to make the tribute worthy. I haven't seen the show yet, but it definitely seems that they succeeded. Can't wait to see for myself.

• Members

What a touching tribute to a staple of the show and such a wonderful actress. It was very moving to see all the different residents of Pine Valley Myrtle touched over the years. Loved all the flashbacks. I had totally forgot that one with Greenlee and Myrtle. That was hilarious :lol: "Its a little late in the year for a snow job."

Thorsten Kaye proved time and time again today how great of an actor he is. Lately all he has been playing is the crazy rage. I lost it with him in the elevator. You know this must devastate him in real life too :(

Loved the drug addiction flashbacks too. I remember it well. Susan was so awesome.

RIP Eileen. Jeff Beldner should be co-HW! I was happy to see his name pop up as script writer.

• Members

Again I just have to say how much I loved it.

I was so glad that so many of the key parts of Erica's family were there. I was surprised by the use of the Carol Burnett flashback when so many of the others no longer on the show were ignored. I wish they could have gotten Carol back but I have a feeling with the recent announcements of pay cuts that Carol Burnett and Linda Dano and even Robin Christopher would have cost too much to have gotten.

I know that the Martins and Myrtle were not as close as to Myrtle as Erica was but they were all close. I was totally surprised that they were all completely absent from the service. And I was shocked by no Adam and no Palmer.

This is more of a comment aobut the last few days than just this, but I just wonder if they are trying to phase out Ray MacDonnell. He wasn't there for this at all, plus they don't even show him when he turns the Chief of Staff position over to David. I just can't see Joe giving that up that easy and that is my first real complaint against Pratt.

Overall though this was a great tribute - much better than others. And as to ones who were not there, I am more bummed over Lincoln not coming with Kelly than I was that even Rae and Skye weren't there. And I wish they had let Kelly speak. And I would have loved one flashback with Langley and Myrtle. The two of them were great together. Of course they could have shown one and I missed it since out ABC affiliate didn't show the full show at the beginning as they kept messing up.

• Members

I'm so happy that they didn't disappoint. It was a beautiful tribute to two beautiful women, Myrtle Fargate and Eileen Herlie.

All the flashbacks chosen were good choices but my favorite was the short one between Myrtle and Phoebe, two of the greatest female soap characters ever.

Another thing I loved about this episode was the acknowledgment of the kind of character Myrtle was. She was an essential type of character that is rarely used in soaps anymore: the confidant. A genuinely loving but colorful person that can be trusted implicitly. But if you mess with the people they love, watch out.

Thank you AMC for hitting this one out of the park.

• Members

Steve, I was totally thinking the same thing about Langley/Myrtle, when you think Myrtle flashbacks you naturally think of Langley ("Lenny!") but I realized how that would be a little difficult to work in save for a montage.

That Battle Hymn of the Republic moment is priceless, that's the type of great moment you only see in the theatre... a flub becoming a beautiful organic unscripted moment.

It was sad to see the boarding house all boarded up like that. Maybe Angie and Jess should ditch the condo and buy/renovate it, if even as a private residence. Or maybe even Erica who the other day mentioned a fabulos penthouse she was planning to buy wasn't done being built.

• Members

Kudos to Jeff Beldner, Thorsten Kaye and the rest of the AMC family. It was fantastic. Clearly one of the best episodes that AMC has done in a long time.

I can only hope that future episodes are written with a little more "heart" like this one was. Loved that Jeff, who knows the history, wrote this one.

• Members

I wish they had shown the part of that scene that they had shown for Phoebe's funeral. For Phoebe's memorial, I thought that that clip was kinda out of place because it was more a showcase of EH's talents than RW's, so I think it would have been great for today's episode.

SOMEONE has to carry on the boarding house! A few years ago, there was a shitload of 20somethings living at Wildwind, and I thought that they all should have lived at Myrtle's instead.

Archived