December 8-12, 2008

Toups

• Members

Above 5 million for Y&R is good. The dream...the DREAM...is to get back to last year's level. I know it can never happen, in part because some viewers have shifted to other ways of viewing that are not counted this way. But I dream...simply to have a single example of a show "that beat the trend".

The Days issue is genuinely interesting. If this continues, it raises the question of whether there IS a market for -- essentially -- a new soap focused all around young people. Could the hirings of Martsolf and Gering have drawn back enough (historically young) Passions viewers? That is an intriguing question.

I'd be all for Y&R hiring a few Passions stars :). After all, Don Diamont needs replacing. Adrian Bellani would be a PERFECT "next generation" replacement. He could play the new Abbott gardener, who takes a liking to the new Colleen.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's a really great point that you make. There really isn't a rooting couple, a'la John and Marlena during the entire Kristen/Susan saga. The obvious choice (perhaps from the standpoint of the writers) is that EJami is the endgame. But for me, EJ and Sami do not constitute a rooting couple, given how Johnny was conceived (not to re-new that debate, but it's just my opinion). I've always been more in the Sami/Lucas camp, but the resolution of this story in no way leads to a Sami/Lucas reunion. And I don't see Sami and EJ logically getting together after this story.

So for me, I'm not sure I need the "rooting couple" aspect to make the storyline work. I thought it was a vital part to the classic John/Marlena/Kristen story of the 90s (my favorite story in all of my years of watching Days, period). Instead, this time the key aspect will be the "rooting reunion" (namely reuniting Sami and her child, as opposed to reuniting a couple). I think that just because it's structured a bit differently, it doesn't mean that it can't work. And on a side note, I think Nicole is filling out the role of the slippery-slope villainness quite well, with logical (if misguided) motivation. Ari Z is really selling this story for all its worth. So for me, so far so good on this story. I'm praying DH gets it right, because this could be the story that saves Days...

• Administrator

Yeah, the "rooting reunion" between mother/child works too, but you will need to amp up the stakes by having Sami thinking she lost the baby and have Nicole (or someone else) do a heinous act. For me, I need the villain to do something bad to the heroine. It can't just be about Nicole wanting to keep EJ.......Sami needs to be harmed. They should've built up the Sami/Nicole rivalry a bit more too.

I see the potential, I'm just not on the ride yet. :)

• Members

That's a great point, and I completely agree. If Sami can be lead to believe that her baby is dead, because of something Nicole did (i.e. Nicole going back to the nun from the orphanage and telling the nun that the baby died in an accident, which the nun then passes along to Sami), then that raises that stakes considerably, Nicole's "villainness" status increases, and Sami winds up harmed.

Why aren't we writing this?! lol...

• Members

I know AMC deserves its gain. :D

And what are you talking about the ratings for AMC right now are better then B&E. AMC actually gained viewers from every catergory.

And like I said before the ratings will never ever bee the same. Daytime was better last year then this year. But even with that B&E drove AMC to record lows. Has AMC hit any new record lows scince Pratt took over.

Archived