The Politics Thread

• Members

And yet, Little Jimmy Comey, who was probably working under orders from someone within the GOP, was allowed to re-drag Hillary mere days before the election without any push-back whatsoever from the Repubs, or even the MSM and many on the left.  And all over what turned out to be nothing.  Again.

I must admit that when I read how Mitch McConnell basically blackmailed Obama into sitting on this information, I lost what little respect I had gained for our outgoing president.  I understand Obama's belief in the so-called "better angels of our nature" and that individuals CAN work toward a consensus if we appeal to their sense of reason.  But there comes a time when, as a leader, you have to set aside the Arthurian ideals and just do the damn thing, and to hell with the consequences.  McConnell (and others) want to accuse President P-Funk of partisanship?  Whatevs, man.  We'll deal with that AFTER we let America know what the frak Putin is up to.

Frankly, Mr. President, if you haven't learned by now that the GOP will resist anything you even THINK about doing or saying -- even if it means putting the safety of this country in jeopardy -- because it's you who is doing the doing or the saying, then I don't know what to tell you.  Except maybe, just maybe, I was right all along and you weren't cut out for this job.

And yes, we have officially made ourselves Putin's bitch.  But you know something?  Sometimes we get what we deserve.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

^^@Khan. I have the utmost respect for President Obama but if this indeed did happen I have lost a ton. My biggest issue with Obama has been his perpensity for playing to the better natures of people. And that lot in Washington has none. If anything I doubt Clinton would have played as nice and ethically as Obama had, had she been elected.

I just realize I think how really vulnerable our democracy is to corruption and to survive you have to have people serving who give a damn. For the most part we don't. Heck I think George Bush a colassal failure but I don't even think he would have sold us out this way. I'm so disillusioned with our leadership including Obama.

• Members

The thing is, I THOUGHT Obama had learned that.  I THOUGHT that was why he had issued all those executive orders that Trump keeps threatening to rip up and throw away as soon as he is inaugurated -- because he (Obama) had realized the other side would never compromise with (yeah, I'm gonna say it) an HNIC.  

Of course, leave it to Obama to exercise his power against unreasonable people by doing something that could be undone the minute he leaves office.  The schmuck.

Just shows to go you how ineffectual and inconsequential I always thought he'd be in the end.  If we're all concerned that Trump could wipe out Obama's legacy with a few strokes of his pen, then maybe Obama's legacy wasn't that strong to begin with.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Well that's one of the issues which got focus in recent weeks - that thanks to Congress stonewalling him, so much of what he planned really was just via executive order. That's one of the reasons he likely fought so hard for Hillary to win. 

I have to admit I'm not sure if Obama saying anything about this (instead of just letting underlings say it) would have made a difference. If anything it may have hurt her even more.

• Members

Meh, the same complaints and frustrations slung at Obama are the same that were slung at Jimmy Carter. Only years later, after the Reagan years did people find out that Carter accomplished much more than he was accredited with accomplishing. 

Decades from now, Obama might be 90 and have a legacy of helping others that rivals Carter and what will be said of George W. and Trump years from now? 

No one, not least Obama has been willing to concede how virulently racist America is and how a Black man even at the highest levels would be restricted to a Congress that had many members who were resentful of his very existence.

Given that, I don't know whether Obama saying anything would have done much when from day 1 he's had members of goverment yell "You Lie" in the middle of a SOTU address and be complimented on it. 

I'm convinced that a good deal of the American public would rather believe a lie than the truth. When Hillary mentioned DJT's collusion with Russian intelligence, it was summarily dismissed anyway. Didn't anyone pay attention?

• Members

I have to ask, and this may sound like a harsh indictment to some but why didn't Black women believe the lies as others did?

Kind of a rhetorical question but one that I think is important to ask, if anyone cares to know what Black women think and society has by and large shown us that they don't.

ETA.

The woman from WV who called FLOTUS "an ape in heels" and was 'fired' apparently now has her job back.

Call me cynical but I can't even fake being surprised at this.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Well that is the myth of the presidency, without Senate or Congress you can't get much done that will be effective in the long-term. The Republicans really worked to make sure he could and would accomplish nothing, and they succeeded. I remember in 2015 feeling as if he had accomplished so much to bring the nation forward: same sex marriage, universal healthcare, economic progress, bank regulation, death of Bin Laden, Climate regulations, etc. But all of that looks to be undone. The Republicans want to bring the entire nation back to the dark ages, and it's only going to get worse. 2020 can't come fast enough. But I fear what the disgruntled white population will do when Trump fails. I feel like race relations will just get worse.

Edited by Skin

• Members

Will they even acknowledge that he's a failure?  Or will they watch or consume any news that doesn't kowtow to how "great" he is making America again?  That's equally scary.  

I see what you're saying though.  President Obama legitimately tried to do things for the betterment of this nation.  Congress went against him simply because there was a "D" after his name and I truly believe to a larger extent, the color of his skin.  It's sickening.  In the end, he is still consequential.

• Members

Trump also didn't have a single thing to offer black women. He offered non white males the continued power of the patriarchy and white women continued white privilege. Really it was more like the illusion of those things, but people fell for it.  I still can't believe so many white women voted for this man, but it does tell you the state of feminism in this country. It's pretty damn sad. I guess some people don't mind that they are completely disrespected as long as they can believe they aren't at the bottom of the totem pole.