The Politics Thread

• Members

I know that people are blaming Trevor Noah for giving that woman Tomi (can't remember her name) a spotlight but Noah recently did an interview with President Obama and so far Obama reminds people that the Russian hacks of the DNC were announced in October before the Election and there was a drip, drip, drip of hacking (e.g. Wikileaks) and also reminds folks that Trump even begged the Russians to hack Hillary (remember that?)-- so I think he finds it odd that people now claim to be surprised consider Russia's history of espionage for several decades. He said this was not particularly sophisticated and the information hacked not explosive, but very banal but expressed surprise at how many people chose to ignore the fact that Trump openly begged the Russians to hack a president candidate.

I'm probably not phrasing all the details precisely so I think the interview is worth viewing. It's on the Comedy Central website, I'm sure, though I'm viewing from another site that has the video embedded, ATM.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

What's interesting is nothing has allegedly been released that was hacked from the RNC. The second article in particular was a surprise to me is I had no idea information hacked from the DNCC was being used against democrats in house races and that Paul Ryan likely knew that stolen information was being used. I don't believe for a second that RNC information was not hacked but why were democrats targeted particularly in house races?

• Members

With all the focus on Russia, or with meandering articles attempting to blame the loss on John Oliver (a recurring theme...) and out of touch liberals, a timely article on the many, many mistakes made in Michigan. And it sounds like the Clinton dysfunction and miscommunication I thought had not popped up as much in this last campaign was still there.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/michigan-hillary-clinton-trump-232547

• Members

Where I live in FL, it's a pretty mixed community.  There are a lot of minorities and a lot of rednecks in this town, so I always see yard signs for both candidates but usually more so for the republican.  I didn't think much of it at the time.  But looking back, in 2008 and 2012, I had Dem operatives knocking at my door very early in the election season and continuing about once a month, someone would come a-knockin.  In between that, the phone would ring, 1/3 robo calls and 2/3 a live volunteer.  

This year - no knocks on the door.  Nada.  And 90% of the phone calls were robo calls.  The lone exception when a live volunteer called my home asking for my vote was either the weekend or Monday before election day.  When I told her I was supporting Hillary, she was noticeably happy ("Oh, WOW!  Thank you" or something like that).  She then said it had been a very rough day on the phones but didn't elaborate.  Guess now we know why she was having a rough day.

And btw, I don't know about where y'all live, but once a republican wins the White House, quite a few people around the neighborhood adorn their houses in red/white/blue lights at Christmas time.  Apparently they only feel patriotic when their candidate wins, which is funny ain't it?  How does one's patriotism depend on their party's success?  Do y'all see that where you live?

• Members

Ted Bundy was called attractive and non-threatening, but we all know that made no difference when he clubbed women over the head. Are you really this damn shallow?

(and honestly, the man in the picture isn't even all that. I've seen better doing the homeless count on the street)

Edited by ReddFoxx