The Politics Thread

• Members

https://www.vox.com/2021/3/17/22336181/joe-manchin-filibuster-reform-41-votes-talking-jeff-merkley-senate-rules

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/17/biden-filibuster-fight-476684

Vox is a bit vacuous as a site but they aren't usually as tabloid-ish as Politico, so that doesn't leave me with a great feeling. I feel like we are at a point where various senators do not want to make any changes to the filibuster but have decided not to completely say so, and are instead stringing along until those who want change give up.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This process is just beginning. Biden coming out in favor of reform is a big deal and people now have to make their case. Things don't happen overnight. I'd suggest Schumer give Manchin a project on a piece of legislation he supports - like the John Lewis Voting Rights Act and see what 10 GOP senators he can sway. As soon as he fails to because he won't get 10, then move.  Because at the end of the day McConnell has broken every single commitment and rule he claims to want and he'll break the filibuster too. Democrats worrying about him having control of the senate again are the typical Feinsteins who are 80 plus years old and scared to death to do anything. Jon Tester IMO his stand is more reasonable and can be persuaded as I think others can too. 

Manchin IMO is a show boater period. Just like the recovery act at the last minute, he loves the attention he's getting.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I hope they will make the changes, but what makes me worry is most of the senators are so out of touch and are likely more concerned about losing their last bits of traditions and friendship in the Senate over what is happening in the real world. 

The Republicans are going for broke, so they must have some sense this isn't going to happen:

• Members

I don't think the GOP doing this has a thing to do with knowing or not knowing. Why would it matter?

I think you are partially right.  People like Feinstein who apparently is going to run again? She's 87. Her time has past. And I really don't like saying that but they need fresh blood.  I feel like people like Jon Tester will in the end go for it. And I think Manchin is a blowhard but will move provided he gets what he wants.  He pulled this crap with the Recovery Act and ended up getting really nothing for being an attention whore. Could be wrong. But I got burned listening to the press on the passing of the Recovery Act and how Manchin was backing out when apparently his support was never in danger. It's why I am ignoring these stories.

I think people like Klobuchar coming out was a big deal and that led some other moderates to speak out.  And Biden is on board.

I still say if Manchin feels like the senate can work, he should work. He's part of that bipartisan group that has done zip. Like the problem solvers caucus in the House. Worthless. But let him get 10 GOPers.  And make it a piece of legislation he claims to care about.  

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Reform is coming, one way or another. They may not kill the filibuster outright for now but they're clearly planning to make changes. That's why McConnell and every outlet that either leans Republican or depends heavily on McConnell and co. quotes for access is trying to float Dems in disarray stories when lately, Dems have been pretty arrayed.

You will see them float a bill or two in order to let it fail due to GOP obstruction so guys like Manchin, etc. have their figleaf to say 'we tried.' That is going to happen and it has been talked about before, more than once, by smart observers. But that's manufactured drama. Change is coming, and Politico writing GOP access-dependent stories designed to concern troll Dems and discourage them do not fool me.

• Members

Back to this "they had lunch" type of [!@#$%^&*]. In an ideal world this is part of a slow dissolving as most of these 'bipartisan' Democrats realize they will never actually get anything accomplished, but I still can't get past how pathetic these little groups are. Some of the people in the "Problem Solvers" House caucus would not even support the Violence Against Women Act. Solving the problem of women being beaten and raped and stalked is less important than protecting abusers.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/18/senate-filibuster-bipartisan-group-476829

• Members

Politico has always been a right wing outlet. It was an outgrowth of Mark Halperin's work and its former editors have deep ties to W and DeLay. It is designed to launder Capitol Hill gossip and intrigue from a GOP-centric point of view.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Here is the story summarized from several news sources:

Soap actor Vincent Irizarry's son Elias Irizarry, 19,
has been charged in the Jan 6th Capitol insurrection.

Please register in order to view this content

^ photo of Irizarry on website of 
WSOC Channel 9 Charlotte, North Carolina.

From the film clips of the insurrection compiled by the New Yorker ...
Elias Irizarry is shown entering the Capitol through a window.
Video footage here:
https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/2-york-co-men-who-are-cadets-with-civil-air-patrol-charged-capitol-riots/SSBGKCU6NZAMVHFNBYTKAZQ7EY/

Elias Irizarry is a second semester freshman at The Citadel Military College of South Carolina.

He previously attended Montclair High School in New Jersey.

ABC4 said Irizarry and another South Carolina man, Elliot Bishai, were identified via social media posts, surveillance footage and witness accounts, citing affidavits.

Irizarry was repeatedly visible in the evidence photos with his face showing while wearing the same clothing and "Make America Great Again" hat.

Affidavits show Irizarry and Bishai were connected to Grayson Sherill, another Charlotte-area man arrested on charges stemming from the Capitol riot.

WSOC-TV reports that Bishai and Irizarry apparently know each other through the Gastonia Civil Air Patrol.

According to ABC, Irizarry was arrested by FBI agents on March 15, on charges of:

* Knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority, 
* Knowingly engaging in disorderly or disruptive conduct in any restricted buildings or grounds, 
* And violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds.

Elias Irizarry, 19, a second semester freshman at The Citadel Military College of South Carolina, was released from jail on a $25,000 bond, ABC4 reports.

Terms of his release include regular pretrial check-ins, not being allowed to leave the country, not traveling out of state without permission, and not having access to firearms.

A hearing in Washington D.C. is set for March 22.

sources:

Bergenfield, New Jersey Daily Voice
https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/bergenfield/news/soap-opera-stars-montclair-son-citadel-cadet-charged-in-capitol-riots/805302/

ABC-4 (WCIV) news, Mount Pleasant /Charleston, South Carolina
https://abcnews4.com/news/local/citadel-cadet-charged-in-capitol-riot-probe-bonds-out-of-jail-1st-court-date-set

WSOC-TV channel 9, Charlotte, North Carolina
https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/2-york-co-men-who-are-cadets-with-civil-air-patrol-charged-capitol-riots/SSBGKCU6NZAMVHFNBYTKAZQ7EY/

Edited by janea4old